No Detailed Recaps

Please, just cut and paste or summarize. Believe it or not a significant portion of the wired population doesn't use FB.

Thanks.

Not even sure what he is referencing. A very brief, 16 minute podcast was posted. Listening now.

Relevant podcast summary.

Marie C agrees that the change is to prevent judges from reviewing recaps to use as cheat sheets.

She also speculates that the intention might be to get a more varied result that would keep the fans excited or anticipating more parity.

• Like 1

I'm one of them except when it's linked to a corps page like DCI.org

But penalty points, Garf!. Isn't it against DCP rules to cut and paste FB quotes w/o the original poster's permission? Tsk, Tsk.

Basically what's said is that when the fan complained, DCI said it wasn't DCI's fault but that the corps make the rules. Complain to the corps not DCI.

Besides Garf, I have enough time trying to figure out those word puzzles the security forces make one jump through before getting to the FB text. And it all has to be done in nano-seconds before the log-in box popd up and bounces me out. Have Jr. do it for you. He's probably quicker than you or I will ever be. :-)

Well, obviously, I wouldn't know this answer because I don't do Facebook so shut up and GET OFF MY LAWN!

cf. the comments on the DCI fb page under the photo.

Ah. Also something from the podcast, which most regular dcp'ers know good and well already. DCI decisions are actually corps decisions. Have a problem or suggestion? Tell the corps. Edited by mingusmonk

But penalty points, Garf!. Isn't it against DCP rules to cut and paste FB quotes w/o the original poster's permission? Tsk, Tsk.

Basically what's said is that when the fan complained, DCI said it wasn't DCI's fault but that the corps make the rules. Complain to the corps not DCI.

DCI's Facebook page is public, so DCP presumably has no objection linking to posts there. Here is post in question.

Please, just cut and paste or summarize. Believe it or not a significant portion of the wired population doesn't use FB.

Thanks.

The podcast is actually on DCI's website, not on Facebook. (And even if it were, DCI's Facebook page is public, so non-Facebook users like myself--and, it would seem, yourself--can see what's posted there.) Here is a link to the podcast.

Marie C agrees that the change is to prevent judges from reviewing recaps to use as cheat sheets.

haha!

• Like 1

Dan Potter first interviewed John Philips, DCI's Judge Administrator, just before the Rules and Systems Taskforce began. Philips observed that the biennial format of rules proposals seems to be working, agreed with DP that this year's proposals were less controversial, said that recent changes have been "providing a lot more clarity and definition", related outstanding performances to rules-driven expectations; mentioned that the Taskforce's chair was also the Caucus's Open Class representative, explained how the Taskforce steers the Instructors' Caucus, and noted that the Caucus's recommendations are forwarded to the corps directors for the final vote. DP emphasized the "bottom up" methodology of rules changes. Philips then noted that passing rules changes is only one step: he then has to work with judges to determine how to implement the changes. Philips also noted that it was at this event that the final decision was made as to which new judges from 2015 would stay on, and which potential candidate judges would get a trial run in 2016.

DP then ran through the six proposals that were voted on by the Instructors' Caucus, of which five passed at that level, including the use of "metronomes & loudspeakers" for warm-up; it was the corps directors who decided against that one.

The instructors voted 24-2 against moving judges off the field. The major proponent of that change was DCI board chair, Fred Morrison, primarily because "people are about to be hurt or are being hurt" but also "to protect the purity of the performance". Percussion instructors were the most adamant opponents of this change. The compromise reached is that the one percussion judge present at non-regional/championship shows will be the "ensemble percussion" judge, who will "mostly be somewhere in the stands" to get the overall picture and learn the drill. Judges with this experience will move to become "field percussion" judges at major shows, where another judge will slide into the "ensemble percussion" slot. DP spoke with Paul Rennick, who felt that there is "something inherently important about [being] up close and personal" and that it is a "more accurate" location for distinguishing groups of similar quality, but was nonetheless satisfied with the compromise.

Then DP turned to the recaps, which "will contain a lot less information this summer". One piece of news to me was that "instructors will get to look at their subcatpion scores going into a critique but will not get a copy". He interviewed Marie Czapinski:

DP: "I asked [MC] If not being able to see a recap will make any difference in how judges do they're job."

MC: "It does not make a difference, because the judges don't utilize the recap for anything other than to evaluate their own performance, and this, I think, really doesn't matter to the judges. The public's going to see the total score; the judges will know the total score; the judges will know if what they did was in the neighborhood of the total score, so if they're 20 points off, they'll know if they made a mistake, possibly."

DP: "How much is this about judging, and how much is about how fans consume our product?"

MC: "What was presented in the caucus was that this is about judging, and they don't want the judges to have access to each others' scores, so that every night the performance of the night really is the performance of the night, and there's no knowledge coming into each night of what happened the night before, which shakes it up a little bit, makes it a little more interesting, and I suppose the marketing twist would be: makes it more interesting for the fans."

Wrapping that segment up, DP said, "I have to wonder, though: it's hard to imagine baseball, for instance, without the box scores and statistical minutiae that many fans check on a daily basis. I wonder how die-hard drum corps fans will react this summer not being able to get their detailed recap fix." He hoped to speak with fans about that this summer.

DP also noted that increased ticket revenue in 2015 helped balance challenges with A/V production. Fred Morrison was quoted as saying that the "entire membership had to share in that problem" which "put DCI in a bad spot" and "to have [the 2015 season] end this way is just not what we were looking for".

Morrison was reelected to a three-year term as chair; David Glasgow from the Bluecoats and Kathy Black, an attorney, were elected to the board.

DP closed with some comments from drum majors about their expectations for the leadership conference, which a March podcast will return to. I'll note just that Austin Baker from the Cavaliers said, "In the end, we're all just marching bands . . ."