No Detailed Recaps

DP closed with some comments from drum majors about their expectations for the leadership conference, which a March podcast will return to. I'll note just that Austin Baker from the Cavaliers said, "In the end, we're all just marching bands . . ."

Yuk!

Then DP turned to the recaps, which "will contain a lot less information this summer". One piece of news to me was that "instructors will get to look at their subcatpion scores going into a critique but will not get a copy".

So then they wip their cell phone out, takes a quick pic of the recaps, and they are good to go... including sending it to whomever they want. No problem.

Edited by BRASSO

Those who think the fans are being dissed by DCI not releasing the recaps might wish to reference the response DCI gives to the poster of the DCI FB page today.

Here is the quote...and since when is it against the rules to "quote" public information?...

Sam Olson Hello DCI, given this is a rules episode please allow me a suggestion. Give your fans a voice. I know given this is the 21st century, you want us to interact through Twitter, FB, Instagram etc. Drum Corps at its roots is about entertaining the crowd and rewarding kids for hard work. Why leave all the awards for the shows up to the judges? Add in a "fun" based People's Choice Award for paying fans for the events on the tour. Keep the judges handing out scores for the technical side, that is important. But also award corps by allowing us fans to vote for our favorite or "crowd pleasing" show. Thanks for listening.

15228_10152606944039172_1074065912657803
Drum Corps International Hi Sam, thanks for taking the time to write us! Drum Corps International as an organization actually has very little to do with creating or changing the rules—it's actually the corps themselves (via their corps directors) who do all of that. So, the best way to get a rule changed or a new one created is actually by reaching out to your favorite corps.

You still take out your own garbage?

What has DCI become?

Perhaps you can sell cleaning your house as an educational experience, System Boo

I've got nothing.

I don't have that kind of power. If I did, I wouldn't have to take out my own garbage.

A guy told me he has a witchy woman that lives in his neighborhood. Last week, he tells me the garbage truck came and she was found running down the street with a small bag, yelling to the driver.... " stop! stop!.. is it too late to take away more trash ? ". The driver stops the truck, yells back to her....." Nope. Just jump right in. "

Edited by BRASSO

To George Dixon - not sure I agree with your demographic statistics, but I do agree with your opening sentiment. Delaying publication of recaps is not as big a deal as this thread may make it appear.

To GUARDLING - sure, fans have no vote in the decision making process. DCI can vote themselves into extinction if they choose. However, you are correct that fans are taken into account. "Audience impact" is one of the categories on the rule change form.

To garfield - no doubt that fans matter. But in this case, there are pros and cons. While some fans would rather see recaps right away, I think some fans would like to see a season of judging free from the inertial effects of published recaps. Just because DCI did not mention fans in their two sentences on the topic, does not indicate that fans were not prominent in the minds of the decision makers.

per Dan Potter on the newest podcast, he thinks fans won't like it.

and good old Marie confirmed the way it was presented in the room was all about judges

Not only do a substantial number read the recaps, EACH fan in attendance has EASY ACCESS to the recaps because DCI prints the recaps in the Friday and Saturday Contest Program during championship week in Indy.

I say "bull" that fans don't care about the recaps. DCI knows fans DO care about them and are interested in knowing the results. If they didn't, DCI wouldn't PRINT the recaps in the Contest Program.

and at Allentown

Those who think the fans are being dissed by DCI not releasing the recaps might wish to reference the response DCI gives to the poster of the DCI FB page today.

i looked and didn't see anything

i looked and didn't see anything

This is to what I was referring:

Sam Olson Hello DCI, given this is a rules episode please allow me a suggestion. Give your fans a voice. I know given this is the 21st century, you want us to interact through Twitter, FB, Instagram etc. Drum Corps at its roots is about entertaining the crowd a...See More
15228_10152606944039172_1074065912657803
Drum Corps International Hi Sam, thanks for taking the time to write us! Drum Corps International as an organization actually has very little to do with creating or changing the rules—it's actually the corps themselves (via their corps directors) who do all of that. So, the best way to get a rule changed or a new one created is actually by reaching out to your favorite corps.

DP closed with some comments from drum majors about their expectations for the leadership conference, which a March podcast will return to. I'll note just that Austin Baker from the Cavaliers said, "In the end, we're all just marching bands . . ."

Ghost is right. Austin was being too cavalier.

• Like 2