Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

As a Texan, every summer I become incredibly supportive of the idea of *indoor* drum corps.

Mike

not skipping Texas, Swamp Tour, and all those extreme heat/weather states all together?

Hmm. I wonder why?

I'm all for bringing back the Canadian/ien tour and Drums Across the Arctic.

Shower thoughts:

Has the move to mostly computer aided drill design made any change? Has it made writers lazy? Maybe it's allowed writers to be even more creative with their designs?

I dabbled a bit with Pyware and noticed I was limiting my creative ideas due to Pyware's own limitations. But that was me.

As someone who has no idea of how drill gets designed, how is Pyware limiting? What can it not do that designers want?

Mike

You're limited to using its built functions, which honestly covers pretty much everything. But really complicated transitions or sets require workarounds or sometimes are not possible especially if you want the animation to look right. For example say you want to recreate Cavies' "DNA" drill. That would require you to compound several tools and do manual per-count editing which takes a bit of time. Probably faster with pencil and paper.

Edited by gabe211

Shower thoughts:

Has the move to mostly computer aided drill design made any change? Has it made writers lazy? Maybe it's allowed writers to be even more creative with their designs?

I dabbled a bit with Pyware and noticed I was limiting my creative ideas due to Pyware's own limitations. But that was me.

I think it's absolutely made them more creative. The move to computer designs makes it easier for designers to convey their ideas to each other. While there's definitely a learning curve with any new medium, the great designers will always be able to manage.

As someone who has no idea of how drill gets designed, how is Pyware limiting? What can it not do that designers want?

Mike

Pyware can be limiting for drill writing the same way using a CAD program can be for designing a house. If you are making the blueprints for a house by hand, it becomes a labor of love, and you become intimately familiar with every aspect of it. The slowness of the process and really struggling with the nuts and bolts allow you to develop the idea and commit to it in a way that just doesn't happen easily on a computer.

It's easy in Pyware to experiment and to quickly write from page to page without a real sense of where you want the kids to end up... but when you design by hand, you become much more connected with each individual little "x" and the whole ensemble moves in a more organic way.

Watching 90s shows compared to nowadays, it's easy to see those forms snapping to grid points. Much easier to clean, sure, but makes everything a bit robotic to me.

I think design is cyclical. At some point someone will design an amazing kaleidoscopic drill that will get credit & focus may shift back a bit. IMO the current trend is-what-it-is because Cavaliers were so dominant other corps (BD) had to think of a different design approach to win. There are only so many ways you can design a marching band/drum corps visual program so IMO the only way corps can hope to win DCI is to either A) beat BD at their own game (INCREDIBLY difficult, but Crown did well with this a few years back) or B) do something substantially different and excel (Cavaliers 00-06).

• Like 1

Mike

Pyware makes good drill wirters better, and crappy drill writers even worse. It's a tool, and one that needs to be properly used. Blaming Pyware for bad drill would be like blaming Sibelius/Finale for someone's crappy arrangement or composition.

• Like 2

Shower thoughts:

Working with Pyware in the shower might bring quite shocking results!

• Like 1