Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

Working with Pyware in the shower might bring quite shocking results!

So that's how we got SCV's drill last season...

• Like 1

I like that is ever changing. I see a lot more stories going on now and I also think the next big thing is going to be more atmospheric styling with sound (samples).

I love WGI and I am very glad my son has turned me on to indoor percussion. One of his High Schools is going to be very good this year. The other one is good too but his Alma Mater is really taking on a great show. (thanks to the writing of Mike Jackson)

I don't think the type of drill is necessarily as important as how the visual fits in with the program. The Cadets' visual program last season was pretty dang good...I think most people agree that the disconnect in the thematic material was what kept them behind the top 3.

As in regards to the Blue Devils' visual programs of the past few years, some of the shows I really can see winning...the Dada show, for example, the drill was quite effective. Same for the Fellini show. Some might argue that their visual programs aren't as difficult, parking and blowing a lot, scatter drill with horns down, etc. and it could be true that they're not gaining points for that, but they are gaining points for being spot on when they do move. They clean their shows to the max. That, and their musical programs are always top notch.

Notice Crown in 2013 didn't have the most difficult visual program either, but it worked. The whole show as an entirety worked. IMO, 2012 was a killer show too, but nobody was going to beat Blue Devils that year. And it doesn't really matter a whole lot - I don't think one can say "Oh, well Crown lost that year because the judges don't like fast drill anymore." The show was still pretty danged good, and just because they didn't win, doesn't necessarily make your premise valid.

Make your program work together, in all facets, and clean. That's what Crown did the following year, and they won.

• Like 1

I don't think the type of drill is necessarily as important as how the visual fits in with the program. The Cadets' visual program last season was pretty dang good...I think most people agree that the disconnect in the thematic material was what kept them behind the top 3.

As in regards to the Blue Devils' visual programs of the past few years, some of the shows I really can see winning...the Dada show, for example, the drill was quite effective. Same for the Fellini show. Some might argue that their visual programs aren't as difficult, parking and blowing a lot, scatter drill with horns down, etc. and it could be true that they're not gaining points for that, but they are gaining points for being spot on when they do move. They clean their shows to the max. That, and their musical programs are always top notch.

Notice Crown in 2013 didn't have the most difficult visual program either, but it worked. The whole show as an entirety worked. IMO, 2012 was a killer show too, but nobody was going to beat Blue Devils that year. And it doesn't really matter a whole lot - I don't think one can say "Oh, well Crown lost that year because the judges don't like fast drill anymore." The show was still pretty danged good, and just because they didn't win, doesn't necessarily make your premise valid.

Make your program work together, in all facets, and clean. That's what Crown did the following year, and they won.

I guess Cadets didn't win in 2011. Last time I checked, they did, and they still had some good "kaleidoscopic" drill.

Effective drill is still rewarded but not weighted as in the past. Concept, theme is most rewarded now. I disagree with Cadets Power of X not being a consistent concept. Bluecoats "Tilt" was no more a cohesive theme than Cadets X. The biggest difference was 2015 was an extremely competitive season with 4 monster corps and rankings must take place. I hope Cadets continue with heir great drills, maybe less constant running but don't deprive us of that amazing visual. I also think Crown has great visuals. IMO, BD and Bluecoats had the least impressive visuals last year. Obviously doesn't affect scores much but certainly no wows from me as I watched. Edited by Tobias

Effective drill is still rewarded but not weighted as in the past. Concept, theme is most rewarded now. I disagree with Cadets Power of X not being a consistent concept. Bluecoats "Tilt" was no more a cohesive theme than Cadets X. The biggest difference was 2015 was an extremely competitive season with 4 monster corps and rankings must take place. I hope Cadets continue with heir great drills, maybe less constant running but don't deprive us of that amazing visual. I also think Crown has great visuals. IMO, BD and Bluecoats had the least impressive visuals last year. Obviously doesn't affect scores much but certainly no wows from me as I watched.

I'd put both BD & Coats miles ahead of Crown last year in terms of visual design and execution. Crown guard was top 3 - nothing else in the program was top 3 IMO

• Like 1

Even last year's Cadets drill had only one small portion that relates to the concept of kaleidoscopic - it was just before the "T E N" formation and from these eyes, it doesn't come close to what they have achieved in past years. Does it make the show less enjoyable? Absolutely not!

I hope posters are not confusing "kaleidoscopic" with being continually on the move which is something Cadets clearly achieved last year. Their show rarely stopped moving. Demand was everywhere.

• Like 2

Even last year's Cadets drill had only one small portion that relates to the concept of kaleidoscopic - it was just before the "T E N" formation and from these eyes, it doesn't come close to what they have achieved in past years. Does it make the show less enjoyable? Absolutely not!

I hope posters are not confusing "kaleidoscopic" with being continually on the move which is something Cadets clearly achieved last year. Their show rarely stopped moving. Demand was everywhere.

Which begs the question, What exactly are examples of "kaleidoscopic" drill nowadays? I tend to think of it as tight forms with interweaving lines and pass throughs, and numerous direction changes. How many examples can we think of in the past maybe 10 years? I'm sure there are many other definitions. Either way, I just want each corps to continue to do what they do best in addition to incorporating new design choices that allow them to continue to remain competitive.

Yeah, I guess I don't really understand what, exactly, kaleidoscopic drill is.

I generally prefer non-symmetric drill. Cadets 1993 and Star 1991 are great examples of drill that I like. I don't want to see boxes all the time. I want to see curves and pass-throughs morphing and mesmerizing the audience. Never knowing what's coming. Cadets have always had my favorite kinds of drill. Cavaliers 2000-2006 was pretty awesome, but after a while it got stale. I still prefer their 1992 show over much of their early 2000's stuff. In fact, I still prefer much of the late 80's - early 90's stuff over most of what we get today.

The OP is pretty much saying "Cadets didn't win with their fast, fancy, difficult, run-n-gun drill, so that means the judges don't like it anymore."

I think that is a pretty stupid assumption. The Cadets' show had great drill, great music, but neither worked together. It was like eating steak with chocolate syrup on it. Both are great by themselves, but not together at the same time. That's why they lost, that, and the groups above them had better shows. I will always stand by that.

Anyways, I guess I don't think there is a such thing as "kaleidoscopic drill". I don't think there is a clear, concise definition, and whoever uses the term is using it with their own opinion in mind of what it means. If you want to argue about types of drill, you should probably be more clear about exactly what you mean, and give clear examples of what you think judges don't reward anymore, instead of using vague generalities that could mean a ton of different things.

• Like 2