Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

Which begs the question, What exactly are examples of "kaleidoscopic" drill nowadays? I tend to think of it as tight forms with interweaving lines and pass throughs, and numerous direction changes. How many examples can we think of in the past maybe 10 years? I'm sure there are many other definitions. Either way, I just want each corps to continue to do what they do best in addition to incorporating new design choices that allow them to continue to remain competitive.

You raise a good point. What you have stated above is how I was interpreting it.

Yeah, I guess I don't really understand what, exactly, kaleidoscopic drill is.

I generally prefer non-symmetric drill. Cadets 1993 and Star 1991 are great examples of drill that I like. I don't want to see boxes all the time. I want to see curves and pass-throughs morphing and mesmerizing the audience. Never knowing what's coming. Cadets have always had my favorite kinds of drill. Cavaliers 2000-2006 was pretty awesome, but after a while it got stale. I still prefer their 1992 show over much of their early 2000's stuff. In fact, I still prefer much of the late 80's - early 90's stuff over most of what we get today.

The OP is pretty much saying "Cadets didn't win with their fast, fancy, difficult, run-n-gun drill, so that means the judges don't like it anymore."

I think that is a pretty stupid assumption. The Cadets' show had great drill, great music, but neither worked together. It was like eating steak with chocolate syrup on it. Both are great by themselves, but not together at the same time. That's why they lost, that, and the groups above them had better shows. I will always stand by that.

Anyways, I guess I don't think there is a such thing as "kaleidoscopic drill". I don't think there is a clear, concise definition, and whoever uses the term is using it with their own opinion in mind of what it means. If you want to argue about types of drill, you should probably be more clear about exactly what you mean, and give clear examples of what you think judges don't reward anymore, instead of using vague generalities that could mean a ton of different things.

You should watch "Chopped".

• Like 1

The subject line for this thread was short due to naming constraints

I would have named it "high-speed, whiplash, kaleidoscopic flex drill" but it was too wordy :)

I'm not looking at just 2015 Cadets, also 2015 Cavaliers, and 2015 SCV... and 2012 Crown. And 2007 Cadets.

Frankly going back YEARS the DCI judging community has chosen the slower "more-effective" drill over high-speed drill

In the 80s and early 90s the opposite was mostly true. 91 is a prime example - high speed flex-drill won (Star) and kaleidoscopic drill (Cavaliers) placed a close second

Cadets have already announced they plan a less intense drill this season - more "staging" vs. "pure drill" - and I suggest you'll see the same out of Cavaliers & SCV

JMO but currently - drill "for speeds sake" is completely dead in DCI

I'm sure "what's old will become new again" - but for now.. I just don't see it.

The subject line for this thread was short due to naming constraints

I would have named it "high-speed, whiplash, kaleidoscopic flex drill" but it was too wordy :)

I'm not looking at just 2015 Cadets, also 2015 Cavaliers, and 2015 SCV... and 2012 Crown. And 2007 Cadets.

Frankly going back YEARS the DCI judging community has chosen the slower "more-effective" drill over high-speed drill

In the 80s and early 90s the opposite was mostly true. 91 is a prime example - high speed flex-drill won (Star) and kaleidoscopic drill (Cavaliers) placed a close second

Cadets have already announced they plan a less intense drill this season - more "staging" vs. "pure drill" - and I suggest you'll see the same out of Cavaliers & SCV

JMO but currently - drill "for speeds sake" is completely dead in DCI

I'm sure "what's old will become new again" - but for now.. I just don't see it.

Doubt it.

There was a nice bit in the closer of 2014 Crown "Out of This World" that fit the bill. More so before they changed it at the end of the season because it seemed they weren't going to be able to clean it in time.