Blue Knights 2016

RPK

Exactly. At the end of the day we don't really know ####! LOL. I wonder if there are any judges on here.

I believe there are many DCP'rs on here who do know ####. DCP has a number of past instructors and past judges. I also believe there are number of current judges for band on here. I don't think there are any current DCI judges who are on here participating in any debates. And then there are several who wish they been an instructor, designer or judge. But a small minority I am sure.

I believe there are many DCP'rs on here who do know ####. DCP has a number of past instructors and past judges. I also believe there are number of current judges for band on here. I don't think there are any current DCI judges who are on here participating in any debates. And then there are several who wish they been an instructor, designer or judge. But a small minority I am sure.

Well, I was joking. But at the end of the day, most of us here really aren't qualified to judge.

Doubt judges on here. Just those designers from corps who are looking to all the armchair DCP'ers who think they know what is best to improve their show. 🙄🙄🙄

Yes, how dare us "armchair directors" say it's absurd that the design staff and teaching staff take more time to get a show on the field than EVERY other corps on tour.

Because what they have is SO special...from what I've heard.

I actually find the show to be very entertaining and interesting. But, where are you getting that there's "more content?" Just because we have non-melodic horn attacks, a large amount of body movement, a piece played backwards, pictures/mirrors, a voice over with a weird message, and just overall weirdness, doesn't mean there's more content. If you actually watch BK's show, with an open mind, and watch others, they simply don't have as much content as those above them, and a few of those below them. BK's show is relatively easy compared to those above them and a few below.

I think words like "content" get used too often on these forums without enough specifics, so I applaud this post and the next two you made on this subject, for getting into more specifics (here by defining where content was lacking; later by explaining where it is found).

I'll say it. BK should have a full show on the field by now - PERIOD

It isn't about the membership -- it's about a staff that doesn't seem to care that much about the audience, more concerned with their "artistic vision".

Put the darn show on the field (the framework) and add in all the dancing and crap later

This isn't rocket science. :cool:

It's like of a theatrical company putting two acts of the three-act play on for the first month of their winter run -- it's frankly just unprofessional.

You get the show done on time. It's not going to be "complete" and it won't be perfect . . . and everyone gets that.

As someone who works in theatre, I like your "two acts" metaphor! On the subject of incomplete corps shows, people have noted here before that on Broadway (and in other theatres), the first few days or weeks of performances are "previews", usually sold at a cheaper ticket, and often with some rough elements still to be improved before the official "opening" (when the press gets to weigh in). But such performances are at least normally complete! I remember a case, not too many years ago, when we found unexpectedly that last-minute changes during the preview period would prevent us from putting on a full show for one night, but we didn't have the audience watch half a show; we canceled that evening.

But turning to the part of your statement I have bolded: is it that the staff doesn't care, or did something happen? There has been reference to Mark Arnold being disappointed with where they are. Are there in fact some circumstances outside the corps' control that put them so far behind?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

It will surge because it's not complete. That's not an indictment of any other drum corps. Think about it Redjazz: if not complete, can a full GE number be given? Content scores alone will rise because--there's more content.

That sounds reasonable. However, the difficulty with that argument is that it contradicts the other argument that BK's most ardent supporters have made this year: that it would be ridiculous for judges to dock their scores (prior to DATR) proportionately to the amount of show not being performed.

And indeed the judges obviously were not knocking 30% off BK's score, unless you believe that their content is really something like 10 points better than BD's.

(And I write this as someone who was really impressed by what I saw of BK's show on the Stanford webcast. It looked like the kind of show that, when complete, could move them up a place from last year. Unfortunately, the Denver webcast makes me feel this is less likely.)

I'm not saying it's GOING to be bad, but equating adding 25% more show to adding 25% more SCORE doesn't work. Just because you add more doesn't automatically mean it's going to surge your score.

That's right. It's not like their score would have jumped from 71 to 88 at DATR if it had been complete.