Blue Knights 2016

RPK

It was strong- I thought Gorgon seemed a little loose, but from Goldenthal on it was their best run. I thought it was much more confident than Minny the night before. Still lots of dirt esp vis which is showing in the scores, but really positive outlook going forward

No, I forgot that too:/ bummer

Thanks for the link!

I'm sure the nature of periscope diminished the quality, of course, but that was my first glimpse at BK's show this year and here are some thoughts of mine...

It just doesn't quite flow as well as the previous two shows have. Hopefully this experience will change come San Antonio when I see it in person. The pacing doesn't feel right and there's just so much going on. Additionally, the props feel cluttered - not as sleek and subtle as last years.

The Moonlight Sonata backwards was soooooo so cool. I loved it a lot. I love the musical selections. The opening makes me feel uncomfortable in a good way. I am really excited to hear the closer once it is more refined.

There are lots of cool elements in this show, and as usual the guard is beautiful and the colors are stunning. The sparkly leg does make the marching look silly on camera, but I feel like it would probably translate much better in person.

I can't wait to get a better first impression this weekend and to watch the show evolve as we approach finals week. This show has the potential to be incredibly cool with the right tweaks. I think it was definitely overhyped (but with good reason - BK has been doing awesome things!) but still a good product nonetheless.

Thanks for the link!

I'm sure the nature of periscope diminished the quality, of course, but that was my first glimpse at BK's show this year and here are some thoughts of mine...

It just doesn't quite flow as well as the previous two shows have. Hopefully this experience will change come San Antonio when I see it in person. The pacing doesn't feel right and there's just so much going on. Additionally, the props feel cluttered - not as sleek and subtle as last years.

The Moonlight Sonata backwards was soooooo so cool. I loved it a lot. I love the musical selections. The opening makes me feel uncomfortable in a good way. I am really excited to hear the closer once it is more refined.

There are lots of cool elements in this show, and as usual the guard is beautiful and the colors are stunning. The sparkly leg does make the marching look silly on camera, but I feel like it would probably translate much better in person.

I can't wait to get a better first impression this weekend and to watch the show evolve as we approach finals week. This show has the potential to be incredibly cool with the right tweaks. I think it was definitely overhyped (but with good reason - BK has been doing awesome things!) but still a good product nonetheless.

One thing to keep in mind at the point where they play the sonata backwards...according to the poem, that is the point that the universe, having been destroyed, is being re-created. That is the point when everything moves toward the "good ending".

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind at the point where they play the sonata backwards...according to the poem, that is the point that the universe, having been destroyed, is being re-created. That is the point when everything moves toward the "good ending".

Yeah I noticed this too! That's when air waltz happens if I'm correct. A really cool way of transitioning things. If you're watching the show like it really is "The Great Event" happening before your eyes, things make so much more sense. I think people overthink the theme and are confused about what's going on. I think it's way more straight forward than the expectation that came from it. Siri even explains it in plain English half way through! lol

Blue Knight's musicians and hornline are exceptional, and they show a wide range of emotions. The color guard is expressive, and the whole corps displays a unity of purpose that is just palpable. I love their huge sound-- it's what drum corps enthusiasts live for. This corps is dedicated to passionate messages of the human experience, and that's valiant.

The show design has some huge hurdles that it sets up for itself and basically never recovers from:

• When you work backwards from the end of time, the end of your show probably won't have an "ending". Right now the end is a whimper. This is drum corps, so the audience expects a big ending, and if you're going to substitute an anti-ending, you better try like hell to give us standing O set pieces just before.
  • Set pieces? You've got one at the beginning, the apocalypse. What are the others? We need more set pieces that have a singular focus, and that make sense and that everybody gets. Also, I bet more than half the audience didn't understand the reversal of time concept. That's a problem. On Madison Avenue, that's a fail.
  • It's a grim topic. Can you add humor? Have you ever added humor? Humor invigorates the crowd and encourages them to climb aboard. Humor also adds resonance to your ending and softens the maudlin topic.
  • The Siri voice is intentionally grim, announcing the end of the world, now days away. If you use this turning back time device, then shouldn't we hear her correct herself in successive jump edit style, correcting herself. "next Thursday" "next month" "in one year" "in the distant future" "event canceled." This helps clarify the turning back of time, and also adds some whimsy and positivity.

Other notes:

• If you take one of the videos of this show and do a screen grab at any given moment, you see chaos. Tons of scattered interpretive dance. This is a unison activity, essentially. Scatter drill, and scatter dance must be used as a potent spice.
  • The solo five- or six-spin rifle throw is passe. There are unborn children who can do this now. Cut it and replace it with a meaningful staged exchange or throw that advances the theme.
  • At the beginning where the world ends, the entire corps is compacted, as if we're seeing a 20,000 mile view of the earth. Then by the end of the show, the corps is spread out the full width of the field. That's a perspective change. Great idea in principle. But as a result, much of the middle of the show, the hornline is spread massively across the entire field, with multiple points of focus and multiple stage areas. After about three minutes, we're lost and lose interest. Where are you going with this in the middle section? We need clearly defined set pieces so we can ride with you.
  • The mirrors nobody gets, and their purpose is vague. Unless there's a huge visual trick that you're doing with them, cut them. We either want to see 100 people magically disappear into the mirror, or cut the prop entirely. Why not use BD's slit fabric device to disappear into the mirrors? If you do, you can also use these to pop back out at the ending to indicate a reversal of time or the "undoing".

Suggestions for change:

• Can we perhaps add a large clock face that the entire corps tries to physically hang off the minute hand and pull it back? Opportunity for playful humor here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ9NBcQzxw
  • If you insist on the mirror idea, of course we need a massive 15 foot mirror that looks like reflective glass, but really has an opening for the entire corps to pass through. A metaphor for turning back time and self-relfection.
  • The individual mirrors spread out all over the field, and the overall 100 yard expanse and three-ring circus approach to your stage pictures make our eyes separate as if we have strabismus. Why not instead focus on theatrical set pieces which focus the entire corps on a singular dramatic action, and this will help the audience focus on the throughline.
  • At the end, the apocalypse lady appears again, a framing device. We can barely see her because of the scattered staging, and her resonance is lost.
  • We need to see illustrations of time reversing and things being Mulliganed. Good luck. That's a tall order that requires a rock solid dramatic action, and possibly the introduction of characters and additional super-specific set pieces.
  • Maybe at the end, you can break the fourth wall, and instead of doing the anti-beginning, make a solid unified, compact formation statement for an ending, one that will elicit a much stronger audience response . In fact, what you could do is a false ending, tricking the audience with a recorded announcer voice saying "The Blue Knights from Denver Colorado", and then come at the audience with a surprise strong unified end statement, separating itself from the storyline in a passionate, direct unified wedge assaulting us with a final unified compact hit, an encore.

Those design criticisms aside, congratulations to these incredible Broadway quality dancers and musicians. You're poised and professional, and with your talent and focus you really will change the world.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

They haven't showed it yet but at the very end, the electronic voice switches to the narrator from 2014 saYing "Oh what a lovely night that would be"

• Like 1