George Zingali

04_10_2007_zingali.jpg

On March 6, 1992, the activity lost one of the true innovators (of ALL time) Mr George Zingali. To this day, we are touched by his greatness and vision. Be it from watching historical videos or watching todays corps with designs influenced by him, or created by people directly descended from collaborating with him.

I realise that strictly speaking, this may belong in a different forum, but I thought it would be nice to let people speak here about the man and his influence on this activity we all have such love for. This isn't meant to be a sad "RIP" thread. Rather, I want to hear stories from those who knew him... those who were taught by him, and those that were awed by his work. Additionally, I'd love to hear what todays generation of marchers make of the man> What do you know of him and what's your thoughts when you see his work?

As for me, I never knew him as such but did meet him on a few occasions on tour. I remember him as being this crazy whirling dirvish of activity. You could tell his brain was always "on". I remember that even though he didn't know me... I wasn't one of his corps members and had never been directly involved with him... that he took the time to make me feel important. I remember him saying to me (rather loudly) "Hi, I'm George (pronounced GOwagge). As if I didn't know who he was. I just met Superman!

Link to twenty-year-old RAMD thread started by yours truly (who never knew Zingali.) Nice stuff here.

Well worth the read from in RAMD archives. He passed two years before I got into the activity and everything in there simply echos the stories I have heard. The brightest stars truly have the shortest lives.

Many writers continue to be influenced by the velocity George's designs generated. This came largely from his adherence to the Frank Lloyd Wright school of "form follows function".

Sitting at his dining room table in 1986 alongside Marc Sylvester, George read through the brass scores for the entire "Sondheim" show and had me highlight with a red marker every voice that had a lead part, however brief. "Don't worry", he said. "I'll put them all downstage."

"But that will be impossible", I replied. "There are too many, and they jump all over the place."

"Nah", said George. "It'll be pissah."...and it was.

• Like 5