Blue Devils 2016

I will not write this show off either as its June. With that said, for the first time in a very long time, I was very surprised that the Blue Devils show didn't leave me with the feeling that it has championship caliber. :dry:

That's what I'm feeling too and it sucks because I really love their direction since 08. Can't think of a single show since 07 that I didn't like or love from them.

Every show that they've done in that time period has had that distinctly BD sound, feel, and look and yet all of them were very different from each other. Unique.

At this stage of the season (June), this show is looking a lot like BD's staff trying to re-use 2015's formula and doing a worse job at it. I hope they develop it well through the season

• Like 2

I'll sum it up like this for my take. At least musically.

This is the first time since I followed the activity that there was nothing fresh, incredibly innovative/experimental, jumping off the walls crazy good at me from BD.

I'm totally open to seeing a show develop though. Not selling it off yet, but I'm pretty stunned.

Ditto. I watched the whole thing with my brain going, "just wait...it'll be amazing soon"...and it wasn't.

Not feeling this show in its current state. It was very BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Edited by phd-student-TTU

It sounded like, well, a standard drum corps show. Something they've stayed away from the last few years.

I thought I was watching Crown at one point with all the body movements.

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 3

It has been a long evening here in Pittsburg. My thoughts? I must give props to the BD organization for putting out three corps as well as a special needs guard. They really are involved in the bay area community and that always makes me smile. BDC is cute as heck. I wonder how many of these youngsters actually do make it to the A corps one day. BDB, I liked better than last year. I am sure they will contend for the Open Class title. They usually do, right. BDA - well if you did not have a seat high enough than you missed a whole bunch as their drill is amazing, filled with effects and these people are moving very fast. The props are not even close to being complete, or maybe they are and what they had on the field is just filling in until the real ones are done. IDK I saw some of the guard earlier in the day in costume, but they just wore black for the show. I enjoyed the music, but I know that this is just a shell of what the show is going to be. I wish I would have just waited to see them next week in Sac with all my Freelancer friends, because Family Day the last few years has been pretty bare bones. Closer is clearly not done musically or visually. Here is what to keep in mind. Drumline - excellent, brass - excellent, guard - excellent, staff - brilliant. Will they contend for another title? Yes. Will they win? maybe. When I saw them in Sac last year I thought they were a mess, but had potential. This year they are not a mess, so I think they are a bit ahead of last year.

Edited by jmc5682

I've must have been at another performance. I was up at the top and I was amazed at their performance and demand this show is. It's like maybe 20 percent complete. The guard was in black and while they are their amazing self the didn't have much effect. No props so far but that will come soon. They are by far ahead of last years show. Not even close.

Well, as worried as I am about how the show is going to get pieced together, I'll feel better knowing BDs staff is in charge. They usually do a pretty great job.

You guys all know it's mid June and not mid August...right?.

So true. Everyone is going to Defcon 4 over an incomplete preseason show on June 19th.

08 Regiment was a mess this early on, and not really special...look what happened.

Good point. But they still should have taken the silver.

• Like 2