C2 vs everyone

Huh!...good answers guys and Thanks for pics :)

Yay June!!!

Off to Beautiful Mn tomorrow :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I've even posted on this thing...

Sigh... Every year we go through this topic and still there are people who fail to understand a very simple concept...

I am going to point out one word in the next phrase that should illuminate the reason as to why C2 is mainly 22 and under...

Cadets2 is a performing ensemble that is run under an organization called... YOUTH Education in the Arts.

When the group was formed in 2012 with no veteran base, no previous success, it was brand spanking new. In order to field a successful large corps, they stretched their age limit to help them grow and establish themselves. Even with the expanded age limit, they still had to fill in about a dozen Cadets at the end of the year. So it really didn't help that much.

Now they are retaining membership, they have been successful and are able to sustain their own corps without bringing on a slew of Cadets at the end of tour. They are bringing the age limit down, because they are technically a YOUTH group. In order to be run by YEA, they need to have a status of being a YOUTH centered group.

The End. It has nothing to do with some conspiracy theory that somehow kids are easier to manipulate and to essentially brain-wash. It is simply, because they are part of YOUTH Education in the Arts.

I hope I presented my point clearly for all.

Edited by 72Bach
  • Like 2

They are bringing the age limit down, because they are technically a YOUTH group. In order to be run by YEA, they need to have a status of being a YOUTH-centered group.

While I have no objection to how Cadets2 is run, I just want to note that lots of non-profit arts organizations include "lifelong learning" as part of their mission, so there's no legal requirement that YEA focus on young performers only. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if YEA has funders who support them because of that particular focus, which is entirely their business.

• Like 2

It has nothing to do with some conspiracy theory that somehow kids are easier to manipulate and to essentially brain-wash.

If this age was easier to brainwash every corps would be full and clean the first week of the season.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I've even posted on this thing...

Sigh... Every year we go through this topic and still there are people who fail to understand a very simple concept...

I am going to point out one word in the next phrase that should illuminate the reason as to why C2 is mainly 22 and under...

Cadets2 is a performing ensemble that is run under an organization called... YOUTH Education in the Arts.

When the group was formed in 2012 with no veteran base, no previous success, it was brand spanking new. In order to field a successful large corps, they stretched their age limit to help them grow and establish themselves. Even with the expanded age limit, they still had to fill in about a dozen Cadets at the end of the year. So it really didn't help that much.

Now they are retaining membership, they have been successful and are able to sustain their own corps without bringing on a slew of Cadets at the end of tour. They are bringing the age limit down, because they are technically a YOUTH group. In order to be run by YEA, they need to have a status of being a YOUTH centered group.

The End. It has nothing to do with some conspiracy theory that somehow kids are easier to manipulate and to essentially brain-wash. It is simply, because they are part of YOUTH Education in the Arts.

I hope I presented my point clearly for all.

I certainly understand this. As having been on the fund-raising committee and in charge of various fund-raisers you see first hand how people wish to contribute.

I saw first hand running a car wash one time. We had mostly adults running the car wash because our "kids" had obligations towards SAT test that morning. Poor planning on someones part I know but never the less people wanted to know who they were donating too. Several people just wanted their car washed but some people were inquisitive and wanted to know who and where the "kids" were that were benefiting from the donations. Some sort of snarled when we explained the whole all age concept and that some of the "adults" they saw would be benefiting from their "donation" Probably poor sportsman like conduct on their part but it is their money and they do CHOOSE to donate as they see fit.

Same when selling Girl Scout cookies. It was always easier to sell GS cookies when the girls were younger than they were when they were older. People just cannot resist a little 9 year old in a vest selling cookies. Get a 17 year old in the same vest and its easier to say NO.

I saw first hand running a car wash one time. We had mostly adults running the car wash because our "kids" had obligations towards SAT test that morning. Poor planning on someones part I know but never the less people wanted to know who they were donating too. Several people just wanted their car washed but some people were inquisitive and wanted to know who and where the "kids" were that were benefiting from the donations. Some sort of snarled when we explained the whole all age concept and that some of the "adults" they saw would be benefiting from their "donation" Probably poor sportsman like conduct on their part but it is their money and they do CHOOSE to donate as they see fit.

Exactly right. That said, it's nice when an organization can be in the financial position where it can turn down certain donors (who wish to attach too many strings to their gift) without regret.

I tend to agree with the Age thing being a money donor thing. I have worked with church groups, and there stuff for little kids the parents have no problem funding as they go along. The Youth group (high School) everyone will throw money at to help the poor high school kids and totally pay all their costs. College kids they want them to give a contribution but they (the church) may fund a part of the cost. However once you get to folks above 25 they expect them to be givers and not receivers. Unfortunately people will donate to send kids to band camp but don't want to give money if they have the old image of a bunch of old dudes sitting around drinking at a weekend drum corps camp. I think the current corps are doing a lot now to reimage themselves as younger educational outfits. I think C2 wants to make sure they have clearly stated they are not like old DCA corps.

well sigh back at you 72bach. (i had a '79, now still play my '75yamaha) the original question is if C2 wins and since C2 is specific age, can the next best all age be declared the all age winner. It would be cool having 2 winners. No? And class A.