Corps moving to Bb sopranos from trumpets

They were something like this Kanstul Model 175 G Alto Bugle:

Bugle_175.png

I played one, well the Eb "efer" in college ( brass bands often call them tenor horns). From what I recall it DID sound a little bit different than a mellophone, but I don't recall what the difference was right now. I remember that has a mostly a conical bore.

I have a modern Kanstul Marching Alto (in F), that according to the Kanstul website is identical to their F Marching Mellophone, exccept that the bell is 8" instead of 10.5"

• Like 1

The page below is great for those who wants to know more about G bugles.

There is a horn called Meehaphone used by the Blue Devils between 1987 to 1991. I used that horn when I was with BD. I love that horn and is trying to revive it in the key of F with three valves.

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Evolution%20of%20the%20Bugle%20--%20Section%204.htm

Edited by Vance
  • Like 4

There is a horn called Meehaphone used by the Blue Devils between 1987 to 1992. I used that horn when I was with BD. I love that horn and is trying to revive it in the key of F with three valves.

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Evolution%20of%20the%20Bugle%20--%20Section%204.htm

Those suckers were ungodly loud too.

Here's my old Holton Bass Trumpet. Found it on eBay many moons ago.

Bass%20Trumpet.jpeg

Nice! Looks similar to the first trombonium I played in high school, but I don't have a picture of it. Obviously these are pretty closely related, but I'd love to hear how the bass trumpet sounds.

There is a horn called Meehaphone used by the Blue Devils between 1987 to 1992. I used that horn when I was with BD. I love that horn and is trying to revive it in the key of F with three valves.

Excellent! BD did have a very unique sound on those horns during that period of time.

I know it's not financially feasable to do what you're doing with the trumpets ( and tuba) with every voice in the brass choir, but I'm glad someone is trying to innovate on the brass side of things and I hope it's successful.

Nice! Looks similar to the first trombonium I played in high school, but I don't have a picture of it. Obviously these are pretty closely related, but I'd love to hear how the bass trumpet sounds.

While I could probably post some audio of playing the same exercise/Ć©tude on a trombone, bass trumpet, and marching bari, you REALLY don't want to hear me play. LOL!

It definitely has an edge to the sound (at least when I play it) and sounds very much like a trombone since both are mostly cylindrical. I'm trying to think of a good analogy. Maybe: a flugel is to a trumpet as a bari is to a bass trumpet, a least soundwise. Oh, well ....

• Like 1

Here's my old Holton Bass Trumpet. Found it on eBay many moons ago.

Bass%20Trumpet.jpeg

:ninja:

I remember seeing and hearing one of these about a hundred years ago. One of my old MBI buddies, and former Skyliner, Spirit of 76 and current DCA brass judge Dan Groth played a bass trumpet in a couple of charts while he was in the Augsburg College Jazz Ensemble. He had a solo part in one fo the tunes they played at a concert he got a bunch of us to go to before he graduated. I don't recall being able to hear the difference in sound between the bass trumpet and his Bass trombone, other than the 'bone had more bottom range and a crisper sound in that register.

The interesting thing about the gig that night was the guest artists, who had been there for clinics earlier in the day...Jerry Niewood(RIP)on soprano and tenor saxes, and the fabulous John Faddis on trumpet. The band did a head job on Faddis later in the evening - when he was going to have them play a Dizzy chart (I believe) "Things to come", Faddis counted out the 4 for nothing and began playing...The band however, started playing "Tuxedo Junction" (I think) - and you could see the reaction to Faddis' face when he realized that he and the band weren't on the same page (half the band was laughing out loud). I was surprised that he managed to go along with the joke - but the look on his face from the audience side was priceless.. :tounge2:

That was the only time I ever heard a bass trumpet played - and Dan showed me the 2G Bach mouthpiece he used on the horn - I could never attempt to play something that big... :cool:

Pat

• Like 1

Pregnant soprano.................. :wow:

I hope so! I always wanted a piccolo trumpet.

• Like 1