The End Is Nigh

The Blue Devils are playing Justin Bieber. Let that sink in for a minute...

Dear Lord.

Someone said the guard is sporting his haircut too?

Edited by Tobias

Time will tell. The need to appear relevant by co-opting what the youth are up to is certainly nothing new. In 1971, 27th Lancers were playing "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" (came out on the album in 69, but released as a single in Autumn 1970).

I wonder, though, if 45 years from now, as many people will remember this Bieber song as do the Chicago hit.

Probably a "had to be there" moment, but back then when anybody in Garfield would ask (for real) "Does anybody know what time it is?"....he or she would get a chorus of "Does anybody really care?" from anyone in earshot...probably happened 2,359 times, give or take 273.

:cool:

I'd be interested to know the average ages of the posters in this thread. I've listened to the song and I am fine with it. Would I put it on in the car whilst on my way to my AARP meeting? Probably not but then again, I am not the 19-22 year old kid that DOES listen to Justin Bieber and is marching this song. Lest you forget, there was a time in DCI when playing contemporary pop songs was very common. People need to chill out and let's see what it's like on the field. I actually thought last years KPop section was the highlight of the show....

And I am 45.

Ah, a young'un. :tounge2:

But you are correct. Corps played pop tunes of their era back then, all the time. We played "White Rabbit' in 1970, for example, as well as concert of a couple of Beatles tunes, "Day Tripper" and "Paperback Writer" (for part of the year, anyway). A small Garden State Circuit corps I marched with in 68 and 69 played "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb and "Kind of Hush" by Herman's Hermits.Blessed Sac played a great chart of "Eleanor Rigby" in 69 and 70, and they also played "Yesterday" as their exit in 68. Another GSC corps, the Polish Falcons, played "Michelle" that same year. A bunch of tunes by the Beatles were played. Valley Grenadiers played "Here, There and Everywhere" as their exit. DeLasalle played "Light My Fire" by The Doors (a great chart, if I recall). Blue Rock did "Spinning Wheel" by BS&T and one of my favorite exits, "Requiem For the Masses" by The Association.

Just a few small examples from my era BITD. I could go on and on...ad nauseum. :tounge2:

It is odd that in many cases posters on DCP bemoan the lack of pop tunes...yet when examples are given by these posters, they are normally decades old tunes, and now that a newer tune by the Biebs is being used, some of those same folks are mocking that as well.

• Like 1

I laughed. From what I've heard from other people, it sounds really cool so I'm going to give it a chance. I found Be Italian in 2014 and the Kpop song in 2015 to be very odd choices but when I heard the implementation, I loved it. I think BD does really well with making these eccentric music choices sound tasteful

Due to various personal issues, I never got to see their show last year to see what all the hubbub was about - can I see it on the BluRays? :poke:

Sorry, it was there and I'm feeling a bit irascible today...

Due to various personal issues, I never got to see their show last year to see what all the hubbub was about - can I see it on the BluRays? :poke:

Sorry, it was there and I'm feeling a bit irascible today...

There's a copy on YouTube, just saying..

It is odd that in many cases posters on DCP bemoan the lack of pop tunes...yet when examples are given by these posters, they are normally decades old tunes, and now that a newer tune by the Biebs is being used, some of those same folks are mocking that as well.

While there is some of that, we actually find MORE on here that the DCP'ers that for a couple of years or more used to laugh and make fun of Justin Bieber as an Artist and " a Composer ", are now coming around to be in his corner as an Artist and " a Composer " now that the Blue Devils Elite DCI Corps has decided to use one of his compositions. THATS odd. Oh, the irony, huh ?

Edited by BRASSO

Ah, a young'un. :tounge2:

But you are correct. Corps played pop tunes of their era back then, all the time. We played "White Rabbit' in 1970, for example, as well as concert of a couple of Beatles tunes, "Day Tripper" and "Paperback Writer" (for part of the year, anyway). A small Garden State Circuit corps I marched with in 68 and 69 played "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb and "Kind of Hush" by Herman's Hermits.Blessed Sac played a great chart of "Eleanor Rigby" in 69 and 70, and they also played "Yesterday" as their exit in 68. Another GSC corps, the Polish Falcons, played "Michelle" that same year. A bunch of tunes by the Beatles were played. Valley Grenadiers played "Here, There and Everywhere" as their exit. DeLasalle played "Light My Fire" by The Doors (a great chart, if I recall). Blue Rock did "Spinning Wheel" by BS&T and one of my favorite exits, "Requiem For the Masses" by The Association.

Just a few small examples from my era BITD. I could go on and on...ad nauseum. :tounge2:

We may need to define "Pop." A local radio station that features yesterday's hits often plays "Creep," as did Bluecoats in 2011. The same station plays "Empire State of Mind" a Madison classic from 2011, and Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" an SCVC opener in 2012. Many would argue that these are not examples of pop, but they make the airwaves of pop standard stations. I can remember in college (1981-85) if you liked a song, it was either rock, r and b, punk, alternative, or a novelty. If you didn't like it it was pop, which was slightly derogatory.

Just because you have the quality to make crap sound acceptable doesn't mean you should select crap in the first place.

Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Sibelius, Delius, Vaughan Williams, Bax, Janacek, Hindemith, etc., etc. ... but no. They go with the guy posting on Facebook a selfie while grabbing his junk in his underwear.

For me, Hindemith = Ambien. :tongue: