Preseason Excitement Poll - 2016 Edition

2016 Show Anticipation Poll  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What shows are you highly anticipating in the 2016 Drum Corps season?

• The Academy - The Drum Corpse Bride
    • Blue Devils - As Dreams are Made On
    • Blue Knights - The Great Event
    • Blue Stars - La Reve
    • Bluecoats - ?
    • Boston Crusaders - Quixotic
    • The Cadets - Awakening
    • Carolina Crown - Relentless
    • The Cavaliers - Propaganda
    • Colts - Nachtmusik
    • Crossmen - Continuum
    • Jersey Surf - Ebb and Flow
    • Madison Scouts - Judas
    • Mandarins - Forbidden Forrest
    • Oregon Crusaders - Hunted
    • Pacific Crest - The Union
    • Phantom Regiment - Voice of Promise
    • Pioneer - St. Joan of Arc
    • Santa Clara Vanguard - Force of Nature
    • Spirit of Atlanta - Georgia
    • Seattle Cascades - O
    • Troopers - hero.
    • Other

So this is pretty simple, what shows are you excited to see in 2016? Think I did this last year and it generated some very interesting discussion. Pick as many shows that you are really anticipating, tell us why if you want. I'm doing a top 12, but whatever piques your interest, whether that be one or all 22 (I'm interested to some extent to see everyone of course).

Mine:

The Academy, The Drum Corpse Bride - I think they've really established themselves over the last two seasons. Well known music, fun simple themes, and increasing performance levels that have led to two very well received, improving in placement shows. I think their title this year is evidence that'll continue. I can't wait to hear and see this show, looking forward to seeing something Tim Burton inspired take the field, and I'm not sure I could see anyone else do it like I could see them. This should be a lot of fun.

Blue Knights, The Great Event - I love the direction they've taken the last year, really love it. I think the music for this show is incredibly unique, and the theme even more so. I'm not really sure what to expect here, but I mean that in a really good way. Can't wait to see what this show is like.

Blue Stars, La Reve - I love that they brought back Kevin Ford, what I've seen so far seems incredibly strong and incredibly exciting. Regardless of where they place, I think they'll be a much stronger corps than they were last year. Always rooting for these guys.

Bluecoats, ? - No title, but if you were a fan of the last two years, I don't think it's possible to not be excited to see what they have up their sleeves next. The music is ridiculously fun. Groovin. And Great Gig in the Sky thrown in there too? Hell yeah. I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us. I have a good gut feeling about this one.

Boston Crusaders, Quixotic - If I'm being honest, last years show overall was pretty flat to me, but I've grown on it. This one however, seems incredibly intriguing and exciting on announcement. Really interesting thematic inspiration, and an even more unique take on it in what they've described. Pair that with some very melodic emotional music and some good staff changes, and I think this one could be really good.

Cadets, Awakening - Boy do they sound amazing. I'm very interested to see the total package of this show and see if what they've been hyping in terms of thematic approach and visual design hold true. Regardless of that, they're going to be one of the best musical corps again this year.

Carolina Crown, Relentless - Their show title is the perfect descriptor for what I've seen so far. It's so unrelenting and incredibly intense. Their hornline is going to be absolutely stellar again, color guard is ridiculous again, and I think the drums are really up to something good this year. I sense a bit of a fire lit under them, I'm really excited to see how far they push themselves. Besides that, this show is just downright entertaining. Can't wait to see this thing all together and in uniform.

The Cavaliers, Propaganda - Most excited I've been about one of their shows since 2011, easily. Besides some staff changes, I've read a lot of stuff about them bringing in a bunch of former DMs and stuff to work with them. I dunno, I have a good feeling about the way they're approaching things from every aspect. Show theme is a billion times easier to understand on announcement than last year, and the music is incredibly unique, diverse, and in the case of the John Adams downright fun. Paired with some stuff I've heard from people, and it sounds like these guys are going to deliver something really special.

Madison Scouts, Judas - The more I hear about this one, the more I'm interested. I've been familiarizing myself JCSS, which I hadn't before this, and it's some great music. I like dark shows, and this one seems like it'll be one. After last years phenomenal show, I'm excited to see what the men from Madison are up to.

Oregon Crusaders, Hunted - One of my favorite sets of source music this year. Bjork, Muse, Queen, Hermann, ect. all in the same show? Cool stuff. They've really carved out a niche for themselves that's incredibly fresh and exciting. One of my favorite non finalist music programs as well, drumline grabs you by the throat. Theme seems really fun too.

Santa Clara Vanguard, Force of Nature - At first, was very meh about this announcement. Four Seasons and a broad nature show? Eh. But once I started listening to the music and who they added for brass, and I'm starting to think these guys will come out of left field and potentially shock us. They aren't using straight up four seasons, paired with the Stephen Melilio stuff, and this could be a really exciting show. They have a dream team of a staff, they're going to pump out a monster one of these times, and who knows.

Troopers, hero. - Uniforms aside, this remains a show I cannot wait to see. The theme has absolutely huge emotional potential. They're stepping into some musical territory I didn't expect them to, and I think that's a great thing for a corps to do. This show still seems Troopers on the surface, but a modern take. I think some more corps should try that. Sounds like they made some great changes visually, so these guys could potentially be dangerous. That aside, I'm sure they'll have fans on their feet once again. That's the important part.

Honorable Mentions:

Mandarins - Great total package last year, can't wait to see what they do this year.

Seattle Cascades - Huge progress the last two years, and last years show was one of my favorites. Just fun drum corps.

Open Class Top Pick:

Louisiana Stars - I think these guys are the next big thing. They were incredibly fun to watch last year, and I cannot wait to see how they do at their first championships season!

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I picked Academy, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Pacific Crest, Colts and Troopers.

• Like 1

Spirit of Atlanta for obviously biased reasons (I hear their tuba section is smoking this year! :tounge2: )

Blue Devils again for obviously biased reasons

and Phantom because I have been very impressed with them over the last several seasons.

Dan

• Like 1

Fun topic!

Blue Knights - I'm excited to see and hear how they wrap up the trilogy.

Pioneer - Yes, Pioneer. They're taking what seems like baby steps but are in all actuality huge leaps for the organization.

Bluecoats - I love their groove and their rep appears to fit them like a glove.

Boston Crusaders - A bit of a throwback but with a contemporary twist.

Blue Stars - Back after a little "hiccup".

Open Class

Legends - They brought the emotion last year.

Genesis - It's been fun watching them grow. Too bad they won't be at the Cederburg show July 3. It was great to see them rehearse and see the early season product.

My top 3 are Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, and Crown. Honorable mention goes to Madison Scouts, Oregon Crusaders, and Blue Devils. But for real though, it seems like every show this year is going to be great

BK - Looking forward to seeing the conclusion of the "trilogy," and the music selection is dynamite.

Madison - A rework of my favorite show of all time from 99.

Colts - Definitely anticipating the improvements the new brass staff has made.

I am excited to see everyone listed. I'm particularly interested to see the growth of Spartans, Music City, and Legends after the success they had last season.

• Like 1

Super excited for BK. The last two years were personal favorites, I can't wait to see the 3rd installment.

Bluecoats, I can't imagine what is going to be on the field. I love the repertoire, but I can't imagine what product we will see. Completely stoked.

Crown. I usually am not a huge fan of Crown, so we will see, but the hype on DCP is making me think that their music is going to be better than usual.

BD: My favorite corps, but only for that reason. The footage I saw a week ago didn't give me high hopes, especially after what we saw the last two years. But hey, it's BD, they'll figure it out, right?