Intrigue In Indy

You mean these outfits?

https://youtu.be/dUyTZlJnRns

Well, there you have it, from the horse's mouth, or Mrs. Brady as it were: they aren't uniforms. She said "where did they get those COSTUMES"?

And ironically, in the 1970's, a lot of band directors actively discouraged their students from joining drum corps.

...and they did so into the 80s and 90s to a lesser extent.

A lot of bands don't want you to miss band camp, which is during finals week.

A lot of teachers didn't want the attitude some people came back with.

Edit: Fixing my many typos. Sucks getting older.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

A lot of bands don't want you to miss bandcamp, which is during finals week.

A lot of teachers didn't want the attitude some people camp back with.

Attitude is still a big problem with high schoolers that march now. I have to work very hard to keep my students grounded and sometimes that means bringing the reality hammer down upon them.

• Like 2

A lot of teachers didn't want the attitude some people camp back with.

In my college marching band in the early 1990s, we had a snare from Bluecoats and a horn from Star, and I'm happy to say they were both free of that attitude.

In my college marching band in the early 1990s, we had a snare from Bluecoats and a horn from Star, and I'm happy to say they were both free of that attitude.

I know a lot of Ohio State students who marched in those corps and the Cadets that went on to march in the marching band there and they said marching corps didn't really mean much to the other students and that they didn't make it common knowledge that they marched. Just a very different style.

When I told a friend that the Cavaliers worked the Meow Mix song into their show, he initially thought I was talking about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSMCRD35ch4

Which, of course, leads me to the thought...

"Performing their 2017 program, Cyriak, Drum Corps International regrets it's contractually obligated to present..."

A potentially efficient choice since the guy is a single source for both musical and visual material. :-)

(Didn't we have a "horrible show ideas" thread?)

OMG, I did too. I thought, how odd. What's the meow mix in their show, LOL. You never know these days...

A lot of bands don't want you to miss band camp, which is during finals week.

A lot of teachers didn't want the attitude some people came back with.

Edit: Fixing my many typos. Sucks getting older.

Attitude is a problem with many high schoolers who try and reach that next level whether it be arts or athletics. Mary is in the theater productions in her school and attends a top notch theater camp in the summer, she returns thinking she is not the next Kristen Chenoweth, she has ascended above her. Billy's on a traveling soccer team all summer, he knows so much more than everyone else. The list can go on and on. This even happens in service trips. I took a group of high school kids on a service trip to build houses in rural Kentucky. One volunteered at a soup kitchen upon his return and started telling directors how to deal with the poor! The same happens with drum corps.

It's easy to see where this come from: age. A high school kid marches and is told to forget everything he/she has ever learned, it translates to "drum corps is so much better than my school program." A college kid who has heard this not only in drum corps, but in just about every class he/she has taken whether it be English, a science class, or music, knows it sets a frame of mind. Many high school kids do not have that wide a perspective yet.

The key, in my opinion is to harness the excitement and enthusiasm of the high schooler so it does not become arrogance and do it, if possible, prior to the time he/she begins drum corps. Push the fact the young person will learn a new skill set and stress that when appropriate you want the skill set shared and you expect him/her to be a role model. Then you have a leader.

BTW: these kids who are arrogant back at high school may be the same in drum corps. A person I spoke with from a top corps said a great deal of thought goes into who does the meet and greet at TOC shows because in his words "some think their #!?#% don't smell." You learn a lot at Yocco's in Allentown.

I have been pondering on this since you brought it up. Sometimes, when performers are mic'ed, you can add more depth to an arrangement. For example, Bluecoats have a mic'ed trombone octet on the main stage (the four props put together on the No. 1 side of the field) at the end of their closer. I believe this is a legit octet, that is eight parts, but I might be off on that. The mic'ing allows this kind of depth in the arrangement so that the trombone parts can be heard without being overpowered by the rest of the horn line.

I understand that, Lancer. And my post wasn't aimed at any corps in particular...or in the contemporary usage of microphones, for that matter. However, I guess the traditional, old-fashioned band director and musician in me is still somewhere down in the pit of my stomach crying out "But, still...... ." Not particularly proud of it -- but it's still there, nevertheless.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to play "gotcha," and I'm not trying to change your opinion. I'm honestly just curious. Is it the visual program and costume choice that ruins it for you, or does the music add to bs factor?

No, the music was OK to me. It wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. The Great Gig in the Sky was disappointing to me, because I saw raves about it from some who had attended ST ensembles and it just didn't wow me. The problem for me was, the music seemed secondary and that was proven correct by whomever it was the represented the corps in the Theater showing, as they said they choose the design and tried to fit the music to it.

The problem for me was, the music seemed secondary and that was proven correct by whomever it was the represented the corps in the Theater showing, as they said they choose the design and tried to fit the music to it.

...Which, unfortunately, is the exact opposite of the formula they used in 2014 (music first, then visual).