Why aren't woodwinds allowed in DCI?

I played Clarinet in high school in 07. Could definitely hear me on the state video. If you know how to play and project, then you can make your sound reach the box.

One band I saw last year had a solo flute on the 20 yard line at the hash--and I could hear her just in front of the box on the 50.

lol

reed conditioning and maintenance for GOOD clarinetists is a huge issue. even with a good box of reeds, you're fortunate to find 2-3 reeds in a box of 10 that are concert-ready even after conditioning.

but i left reeds off because there are actually some legere plastic reeds that are pretty #### good nowadays. they're pricey ($30 apiece or so) but a good player can actually get a decent sound out of them, and they could last for a couple of weeks of heavy playing.

I'm married to a clarinet player, so I know the drill. Luckily, she isn't obsessed with reed selection. One OCD afflicted person in the household is enough!

• Like 2

Sometime ago, during a similar discussion on DCP, I pulled up a band site on YouTube and listened to a few bands with the intent of trying to determine if woodwinds could make a difference in the quality of sound.

My only conclusion was that unless the woodwinds were isolated and allowed to feature themselves directly in front of the stands and the other instrument sections were limited to no more than a hmmmmmmm, the woodwind players, bless their hearts, were not a factor in my enjoyment of the band's show.

I suppose at some time in the evolution or devolution of drum corps, a motion will be made to allow individual or ensembles of certain woodwinds because of their unique contribution or importance to a musical score.

Or perhaps, the folks at King will develop brass instruments that can mimic the sound of woodwinds.

This is true, but if you have a horn line that can actually play louder than mf then.... well, sorry I don't see a clarinet being able to play as loud as any horn line.

Yes, but a lot of high schools fail in recruiting enough woodwinds to balance out the brass. You ALWAYS need more woodwinds than brass. With the correct balance, the sound from the flutes and clarinets would reach the box. I say flutes and clarinets because saxophones generally don't have that problem.

Regardless, I've marched woodwinds, I've marched brass. Is it easier to project sound with brass? Of course. But if they did allow woodwinds in DCI, then I'm sure corps directors would take only the best, and one of the boxes on audition sheets would be "projection".

With that being said, do I think they should allow woodwinds? Yes and no. I love DCI in its current state. Do I think woodwind players should have the same opportunity as brass players? Absolutely. Maybe they could come up with another class that would allow woodwinds in? I don't know. Just my thoughts.

WHAT DID YOU JUST ASK!?!?

We don't speak those words here...

It was just a thought. Maybe instead of DCI doing so, a group of people, like myself, should get together and make another organization for the inclusion of woodwinds. Like I said, it was just a thought.

Yes, but a lot of high schools fail in recruiting enough woodwinds to balance out the brass. You ALWAYS need more woodwinds than brass. With the correct balance, the sound from the flutes and clarinets would reach the box. I say flutes and clarinets because saxophones generally don't have that problem.

Regardless, I've marched woodwinds, I've marched brass. Is it easier to project sound with brass? Of course. But if they did allow woodwinds in DCI, then I'm sure corps directors would take only the best, and one of the boxes on audition sheets would be "projection".

With that being said, do I think they should allow woodwinds? Yes and no. I love DCI in its current state. Do I think woodwind players should have the same opportunity as brass players? Absolutely. Maybe they could come up with another class that would allow woodwinds in? I don't know. Just my thoughts.

Uh ... like SoundSport?

• Like 1

Uh ... like SoundSport?

I'm really unaware of what SoundSport is honestly.