Drum Corps or Figure Skating...is judging going there or is it there?

FYI, "compulsories" are no longer performed during international ice skating competitions - they typically use a Short Program and a Long, or Free Program

Beat me to it.

The compulsories are what gave figures to figure skating -- you literally drew figures in the ice with your blades. And you had to be able to do it with either foot. More on Wikipedia -- Compulsory figures.

How about this: Each Corps "short program" has to be marched with the "opposite" foot first. For the Cadets, this would be starting on the left foot; for everyone else, the right.

people use it 'cause it "works" and is relatively easy to do ...

That's why some of these DCI fads seem to get done by a dozen corps in the same year. Consider the following dramatization

DESIGN MEETING, EARLY DECEMBER, A DCI SEMIFINALIST

Program Coordinator: Crown was amazing last year, we need to do programs like that to inspire our kids and grow our audience

Percussion Arranger: Easy man. Let's just get 70 of the best brass players in the activity and play some crazy-hard brass band literature with better timing than our snare line had last year

Brass Arranger: ...

Program Coordinator: ...

Percussion Arranger: Also that squish-a-bug move was kind of cool...

And so it goes.

Edited by ShortAndFast
  • Like 2

FYI, "compulsories" are no longer performed during international ice skating competitions - they typically use a Short Program and a Long, or Free Program

Yes, but it is my understanding that 90% of figure skating competitions ( not the international levels ) still have the compulsories component intact. If I'm wrong on this, then I'll merely point out that the instrument of the competition ( the figure skate ) remains the same. There is no appetite, for example, for figure skating to allow a roller skate onto the ice to have a judge determine if the skater with the ice cutting blade performed better than the skater that opted to use the roller type skate on the ice for the same figure skating competition ( omg.. good luck, on the ice, with THAT skate.. haha! ). In other words, the figure skater must have an ice cutting blade that is not a roller blade. While it might be fall down funny to see how a roller blader might do in the competition, the Figure Skating Associations around the world intend to keep the roller bladers off their ice and on iceless, circular tracks that go 'round and 'round . AND.... the roller bladers that compete in dance competitions on ballroom floors of the world are not about to allow the rollers bladers that push and shove their way around a circular track in competition into their competition skate shows either ( although, I must admit, I 'd get a kick out of watching the track roller bladers wearing THOSE uniforms get out on the roller blade dance competition floors around the world.. haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

Beat me to it.

The compulsories are what gave figures to figure skating -- you literally drew figures in the ice with your blades. And you had to be able to do it with either foot. More on Wikipedia -- Compulsory figures.

How about this: Each Corps "short program" has to be marched with the "opposite" foot first. For the Cadets, this would be starting on the left foot; for everyone else, the right.

What used to be called "compulsory figures" are now referred to as "moves in the field." "U.S. Figure Skating requires each skater to pass a "Moves in the Field" test, as well as a free skating or free dance test, in order to qualify for the various levels of competition. Skaters must perform each field move in the specified pattern while demonstrating adequate power, quickness, edge control, and extension throughout the pattern to be accepted into the level." (Wikipedia citation.) My daughter has said countless times that she is glad that the school figures (compulsory figures) are no longer employed as a part of competition, although she had to extensively work on them as part of her training. I believe that the use of them in competition ended in 1990. Many former skaters have decried the decision not to use them in competition, and cite the fact that, in their learned and experienced opinion, skaters of today do not possess the intricate abilities of many skaters of the past. Now, it's simply more a matter of "wave arms," "make pretty (or intense) face," and "JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, and JUMP some more."

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 4

What used to be called "compulsory figures" are now referred to as "moves in the field." "U.S. Figure Skating requires each skater to pass a "Moves in the Field" test, as well as a free skating or free dance test, in order to qualify for the various levels of competition. Skaters must perform each field move in the specified pattern while demonstrating adequate power, quickness, edge control, and extension throughout the pattern to be accepted into the level." (Wikipedia citation.) My daughter has said countless times that she is glad that the school figures (compulsory figures) are no longer employed as a part of competition, although she had to extensively work on them as part of her training. I believe that the use of them in competition ended in 1990. Many former skaters have decried the decision not to use them in competition, and cite the fact that, in their learned and experienced opinion, skaters of today do not possess the intricate abilities of many skaters of the past. Now, it's simply more a matter of "wave arms," "make pretty (or intense) face," and "JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, and JUMP some more."

...and in a strange way, you tied figure skating and current drum corps design methodologies together rather tidily... :cool:

• Like 1

...and in a strange way, you tied figure skating and current drum corps design methodologies together rather tidily... :cool:

Nice!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Easy.

The box/diamond-cutter drill move.

Era - EVERY YEAR SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME STOP IT ALREADY

Stop what? I'm sorry, every corps? Don't think I saw that with every corps last night like BSSH (Bug Stomp Swivel Hips). Hey if you don't want to discuss things then go elsewhere this is a discussion board. Or you can always bring up waffles.

Now this is the problem right here; not embracing the styles of each corps REGARDLESS of how many times it has been done. That is what variety is all about, isn't it? There is something out there for everyone. Some people like the "box/diamond cutter drill move" and others like the "bug stomp swivel hips." Why not just appreciate what each corps brings to the activity instead of trying to make one style better than the other? It's ridiculous in my opinion if we want ALL drum corps to mimic each other.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

On one hand, big stomp and swivel hips are so ubiquitous today they practically go unnoticed until someone lays fresh eyes on the activity.

On the other hand, you could say the same thing about company fronts and ripple about-faces back in the day. They're all fads and they all come and go. For all we know, in five years *everyone* will be using the Bluecoats' Ninja Warrior Warped Walls or something...

Mike

• Like 1