Stanford Showdown - DCI West

. I was also impressed with their level of professionalism and camaraderie between corps. Like one big family.

BassFanMom means well, here folks. And she is new to DCI. So as a result I'll refrain my impulse to invoke the Nuclear Option here regarding a " one big family " thing from just a couple of years ago. Other long time followers of DCI no doubt know what I'm referring too here, and so thats enough for me. I'll take the high road thus with this, as the lady seems really nice and all, and her idealistic thought of this " one big happy family " caricature is certainly a noble and endearing one to have anyway, imo. Plus, we have made better strides in this regard among all the corps it would appear of late, while acknowledging that eternal future vigilance will be forever required so as to not be so blindsided ever again, imo. So bless her heart.

Edited by BRASSO

My kid made drum corps a few years ago. I had never been exposed to it prior to that. So yes, I am relatively new to DCI.

I was told from the beginning not to get onto these forums...guess I should have listened :-)

Right from the beginning I was impressed with the level of talent, athleticism, and dedication that these young adults have to their craft. I was also impressed with their level of professionalism and camaraderie between corps. Like one big family. What I have not been impressed with are the rude comments I see here on these forums and sometimes hear in the stands! You should look around and see who might be sitting around you. I understand personal preferences, likes and dislikes, but keep the rude ones to yourselves - they don't do anyone any good. Each corps bring their own style to the field - some classic and some innovative - but they are all working just as hard as every other corps.

I too get a bit bummed that at the beginning of the season, here on the west coast, we don't get to see the glorious finished product from any of the corps. Each year what turns up in Indy is very different than the shows I saw live on the west coast. But isn't that the case all across the country? Shows are not "complete" yet. They may have music, drill and props on the field, but changes and updates are constantly happening during the season, some small some big.

I just want to say that I am in awe of the talent of the marching members, will continue to go to live shows and soak up every minute of it - whether complete or incomplete.

Bravo to all that performed at Stanford. Thanks for a wonderful night!

A few idiots can really ruin it.

Putting that small handful of them on "ignore" makes DCP a great source of information, and sometimes a fun place to post.

I need to not bury my sarcasm so deeply.

(You responded seriously to my post, while someone who's been ardently defending BK "liked" what I wrote. )

hah. my apologies. context online is problematic.

while i appreciate BKs show. I'm not loving it. I didn't love last year's either. I love how they challenge the students. That is always fantastic.

But its not my lack of love for the show, its my concern that stuff doesn't get enforced. So it becomes ok to do "because it's never hurt us before".

BassFanMom means well, here folks. And she is new to DCI. So as a result I'll refrain my impulse here not invoke the Nuclear Option regarding a " one big family " thing from just a couple of years ago. Other long time followers of DCI no doubt know what I'm referring too here, and so thats enough for me. I'll take the high road thus with this, as the lady seems really nice and all, and her idealistic thought of this " one big happy family " caricature is certainly a noble and endearing one to have anyway, imo. So bless her heart.

we argue like family Brasso. hahahahah. but i feel that often while we argue, we have some respect for each other. when that respect goes away, many often chime in to reel it back in.

• Like 2

hah. my apologies. context online is problematic.

while i appreciate BKs show. I'm not loving it. I didn't love last year's either. I love how they challenge the students. That is always fantastic.

But its not my lack of love for the show, its my concern that stuff doesn't get enforced. So it becomes ok to do "because it's never hurt us before".

Hmm that's an interesting take. In 2013 when BAC did Rise, you'll recall that in pre-lims they were penalized for the use of baby powder on the field. There was a lot of strong feelings directed towards DCI for not penalizing BAC for this incident sooner in the season.

And yet, here's Blue Knights, having many members getting out of school very late (Denver school systems), starting spring training late, performing 2/3 of their show in the FIRST week of competition, and they are getting endlessly #### on by DCP. Let's show a little empathy here and realize that BK not being penalized for not having a full show on the field is not going to affect anyone competitively unless they still are not fielding a full show by the time seeding for San Antonio begins. If they are still incomplete by then, I believe it would be more appropriate to be so outraged.

yet . . . BK move-ins began just after mid-May, around the 17th, give or take. So I don't know if the Colorado HS angle holds up. And my understanding is that almost none of their battery is from Colorado, let alone Denver.

BK reported on Sunday May 22, battery may have moved in a couple of days before that. Local high schools generally are done before Memorial Day. Discussion on Marching Roundtable about last year's show implied that designers let the show grow kind of organically and they aren't concerned about rushing that design effort. They have done it this way for several years but tend to say it's the weather. I think all the discussion might be getting to them this year though. Mike Jackson mentioned it on Twitter this morning. Things may change next year.

I too was there last night. The pit was all set up and the MM were all lined up and ready on the side of the field for a long time before they moved out onto the field. Maybe miscommunication somewhere.

The uniforms weren't as cool last night, earlier slot and lights were higher. They are beautiful but may not translate in LOS.

I'm not sure the rules are still the same, but a two years ago I asked about the penalty for 'short' shows, and was told that it is not enforced until San Antonio. If this is still the case, it would explain why we are not seeing the timekeeper making that 'circle in the air' signal.

Hmm that's an interesting take. In 2013 when BAC did Rise, you'll recall that in pre-lims they were penalized for the use of baby powder on the field. There was a lot of strong feelings directed towards DCI for not penalizing BAC for this incident sooner in the season.

And yet, here's Blue Knights, having many members getting out of school very late (Denver school systems), starting spring training late, performing 2/3 of their show in the FIRST week of competition, and they are getting endlessly #### on by DCP. Let's show a little empathy here and realize that BK not being penalized for not having a full show on the field is not going to affect anyone competitively unless they still are not fielding a full show by the time seeding for San Antonio begins. If they are still incomplete by then, I believe it would be more appropriate to be so outraged.

I remember them doing that at prelims. i never saw them before that. So i honestly don't remember them doing it or hearing about it before then.

But if they did, and weren't penalized that's mularky on DCI's watch.

I remember them doing that at prelims. i never saw them before that. So i honestly don't remember them doing it or hearing about it before then.

But if they did, and weren't penalized that's mularky on DCI's watch.

My memory might be a little shoddy on this but I believe they added it right before Allentown or at Allentown