Stanford Showdown - DCI West

Originally, I thought the Blue Knights performed only half their alotted, required time in competition. If it was only 1/3rd of their required time . . . and received no penalty for undertime, that's even more wrong, imo. Did they have a Timing Judge there?

What exactly do people here think a TIMING judge does, or is supposed to do? Maybe the show did not have a Head Judge . . . Timing & Penalty Judge?

I never saw the timing judge signaling each corps' official start last night, but it could just be that I was never looking in the right place.

There is nothing that says they have to play anything when they're on the field. Maybe they were reacting to the discussion here on DCP and decided to stand for five minutes to make sure they went over the 11 minute mark. If so, Kudos to them.

Originally, I thought the Blue Knights performed only half their alloted, required time in competition. If it was only 1/3rd of their required time... and received no penalty for undertime, thats even more wrong, imo. Did they have a Timing Judge there ?

What exactly do people here think a TIMING judge does... or is supposed to do ? Maybe the show did not have a Head Judge... Timing & Penalty Judge ?

Is it now possible for a Corps to perform just one note in competition, and be judged ?.... without undertime penalties ? Well.... apparently, we do know the answer.. its " yes ".

BK went well over the allotted, prescribed time to start their show in competition last nite ( another show ) without a penalty. Does this mean then, that a future Corps could conceivably make the judges and audience wait a full hour or so before stepping off in competition with no penalty imposed ? Well, we'd have to believe so... as we can all agree here it would seem to me, that if its ok to not step off in the required allotted time without receiving a delay penalty, it really does not matter, right, as to how late the failure to step off was. Football has a " delay of game " penalty. All sports do. DCI for decades did too. Even in the pre DCI years, there were penalties imposed on Corps for not starting in competition in the prescribed time alloted after the previous Corps had finished. Why do we suppose that competitors are given " delay of game " penalties ? Why was BK not given a penalty for not starting last nite in their prescribed alloted time after the previous Corps ( the Mandarins ) had finished ? (They went WAY over their alloted time to begin their show in competition too last nite.) Or do we just accept that anything that is done in DCI is just fine and dandy with us, and we'd really prefer to leave our curiosity about things out of our minds when it comes to what is done in DCI judged competition these days ?

Not quite feeling Blue Knights yet. Madison's show isn't my cup of tea either, though stylistically I haven't really been a fan of them in general. Nothing against them of course! Glad to see they're very competitive this year.

SCV may have my favorite show of the season followed closely by BD, Bluecoats, and Phantom.

Will someone please elaborate on what is so great about SCVs show?

I found last year's show more interesting...

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

There is nothing that says they have to play anything when they're on the field.

Are you sure? I don't know about the early-season rules, but later in the year, doesn't the timing judge hold up cards with numbers indicating the number of set-up minutes left?

DCI generally doesn't assess under-time penalties prior to July 4th (or any timing penalties, really, unless it's egregious). They will notate any issues on the T&P sheet (or whatever replaced that electronically), but won't deduct points.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

I personally do not care. It's the first weekend of the season, and I expect that there will be a handful of corps that might have incomplete shows. It happens. I understand this before going to shows during the early season. I've been around this activity for 30 years and have seen it many times, and not once has it ever got me upset or have I thought twice about it and would imagine that is how most people feel.

What ever problems they might (or might not) have internally will be handled and worked out amongst their group. Absolutely nothing will be accomplished from me (or anyone else) publicly trashing them.

I personally do not care as to their reasons why. But since you asked us the question, have you received an explanation as to why the Blue Knights performed only half their show in competition, went significantly undertime in the competition, then the next 24 hours, were significantly unprepared to start their show in competition in the prescribed time ?.... yet received no penalties for any of these infractions ? Do you have a curious mind ? Or perhaps you have a curious mind, but don't care about any of this anyway ? What say you ?

Will someone please elaborate on what is so great about SCVs show?

I found last year's show more interesting...

I found this show very classic SCV. It's very different from the previous years. Not much in the prop department. Very similar to the Copeland show a few years ago. Just standard drum corp. It's a nice show. Beautifully done BUT i just don't see this as a medal contender.

No, not completely sure, and honestly it would be counter productive to do so (just my opinion). I wrote this half tongue-in-cheek. Not being there or seeing it in person, I have no idea what was going on. Everything any of us say is all speculation at this point. Needless to say, DCI was present and chose not to penalize, but I am sure there have been discussions between the corps and DCI and that everyone is aware of the situation. If DCI is not penalizing, there is probably a very good reason.

Are you sure? I don't know about the early-season rules, but later in the year, doesn't the timing judge hold up cards with numbers indicating the number of set-up minutes left?

I'm speculating that there is simply great latitude allowed to start off the season - simple as that. Much like indoor season, they give you a few performances to get used to the routine. However the starts in indoor often are very short shows.

Remember a few years ago the top _ number of corps met in Round Rock to start the season. That was an attempt to get corps to be better prepared. I think those that participate in the Cinema broadcast benefit from the deadline to be ready.

With respect to BK, my only question is: If they took 4 + weeks of spring training to complete this % of show to an acceptable level, how much longer to bring the remainder to that level? And then add changes?

Doesn't seem to me to be in the corps best interest to do it that way. only my opinion.

• Like 2

I seem to recall hearing this before - but I've heard it s the first 7-10 days of the season. They do this to allow the corps to test and trial and work on getting their set up down, and also to allow for corps to complete shows.

DCI generally doesn't assess under-time penalties prior to July 4th (or any timing penalties, really, unless it's egregious). They will notate any issues on the T&P sheet (or whatever replaced that electronically), but won't deduct points.