No Detailed Recaps

If you believe the judges aren't seeing full recaps, I have a bridge to sell you.

Then where are they getting the recaps that Kamarag is implying they see if DCI doesn't show them lmao

Then where are they getting the recaps that Kamarag is implying they see if DCI doesn't show them lmao

The same way that a bunch of people on here will find out recap scores.

Keep laughing. You'll figure it out soon enough (maybe?).

• Like 1

http://www.fromthepressbox2.com/20160627hamilton.htm

This is as much of a recap as they give. Nothing compared to this from last year...

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/2015junedcirecaps.htm

Not sure if it sounds like a good idea. DCI is exploring it for a reason..... Some changes good...... some (The year the top 5 semifinalists drew for position in finals) not so good. If secrecy is the goal, this "change" won't last until July 1......

The decision to not release recaps is bad for the activity. Recaps create buzz & interest in an activity that can certainly use both. So much for transparency. Does the lousy leadership team at DCI really think that not releasing the recaps will end slotting? This yet another bad decision made by bad management.

• Like 1

The decision to not release recaps is bad for the activity. Recaps create buzz & interest in an activity that can certainly use both. So much for transparency. Does the lousy leadership team at DCI really think that not releasing the recaps will end slotting? This yet another bad decision made by bad management.

It was a decision made by the corps. It will be re-evaluated to see whether or not it is working like it was intended when they have their annual mid-tour meeting in San Antonio. It is too early to tell (only 5 days in) if not releasing recaps is truly good or bad. A sample size of 8 shows is way too few to provide truly substantial and meaningful data for analysis.

As for recaps creating buzz and interest: there's still plenty of buzz and interest without them. Those who don't follow the activity nearly as closely as we do probably haven't noticed a single change. You know why? All they care about is the total score. Who beat who on that night overall. I didn't really start paying attention to the recaps and such until my second year marching. Before I started marching, I never once looked at a recap. I'm sure that's the way for many other fans of the activity.

It was a decision made by the corps. It will be re-evaluated to see whether or not it is working like it was intended when they have their annual mid-tour meeting in San Antonio. It is too early to tell (only 5 days in) if not releasing recaps is truly good or bad. A sample size of 8 shows is way too few to provide truly substantial and meaningful data for analysis.

As for recaps creating buzz and interest: there's still plenty of buzz and interest without them. Those who don't follow the activity nearly as closely as we do probably haven't noticed a single change. You know why? All they care about is the total score. Who beat who on that night overall. I didn't really start paying attention to the recaps and such until my second year marching. Before I started marching, I never once looked at a recap. I'm sure that's the way for many other fans of the activity.

I have to disagree with two points:

1. You could tell after THREE shows whether or not it's meeting it's intended objective, and

2. We are a VERY information-driven activity inside of a VERY information-driven society...... just go to your favorite weather app.....they give you hour-by-hour forecasts. When the cable TV stations did analysis of the primary election in each state, they broke it down by county, race, and gender. If voters see that white females in Vanguard County, Virginia voted for Bernie Sanders, does that mean that all white females around the country will feel obligated to do the same? WE LIKE INFORMATION. Information does not corrupt judges.

I agree with experimentation with new ideas...... many changes in the activity came by experimentation (good changes). HIDING recaps from the supporters and fans doesn't even hide them. As long as ONE corps gets their critique sheets, the recaps will be out soon enough. "Two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead" - Benjamin Franklin

• Like 1

I have to disagree with two points:

1. You could tell after THREE shows whether or not it's meeting it's intended objective, and

2. We are a VERY information-driven activity inside of a VERY information-driven society...... just go to your favorite weather app.....they give you hour-by-hour forecasts. When the cable TV stations did analysis of the primary election in each state, they broke it down by county, race, and gender. If voters see that white females in Vanguard County, Virginia voted for Bernie Sanders, does that mean that all white females around the country will feel obligated to do the same? WE LIKE INFORMATION. Information does not corrupt judges.

I agree with experimentation with new ideas...... many changes in the activity came by experimentation (good changes). HIDING recaps from the supporters and fans doesn't even hide them. As long as ONE corps gets their critique sheets, the recaps will be out soon enough. "Two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead" - Benjamin Franklin

If you have any minimal, decent scientific or statistical background, you would know that 3 shows is not enough to see if this is working or not. Come on dude.

As for recaps, I seriously think you're overestimating the curiosity and knowledge and the average/lowest common denominator. If we were a very information driven society, I wouldn't be having my fellow 20 year old friends having no idea how to work their android phones. One of the things I like to do on social media is just read through comments and see people's reactions to certain events. I find it very interesting since the reaction ends up being very exaggerated online. I have legitimately never seen any comments about recaps on Facebook or Instagram when a corps has posted overall scores to their page.

"Normal" people don't care about recaps. They aren't part of the hardcore fanbase. It's like this for many different activities, hobbies, etc. Walk up to a random iPhone user and ask them if their phone is jailbroken. I'm sure you'd get a very puzzled reaction.

• Like 3