No Detailed Recaps

It would make it real interesting if there were no judging at all (except perhaps a timing judge to enforce the performance times - penalty tbd) until quarterfinals. Everyone in the dark. Performance order random draw 1 week before each venue.

Hey - its not about competition, its for kids and the art form itself, right?

It would make it real interesting if there were no judging at all (except perhaps a timing judge to enforce the performance times - penalty tbd) until quarterfinals. Everyone in the dark. Performance order random draw 1 week before each venue.

Hey - its not about competition, its for kids and the art form itself, right?

Yea... Why even have finals scored? Might as well just randomly draw 12 cores out of a hat and let them go crazy lmao

If you have any minimal, decent scientific or statistical background, you would know that 3 shows is not enough to see if this is working or not. Come on dude.

As for recaps, I seriously think you're overestimating the curiosity and knowledge and the average/lowest common denominator. If we were a very information driven society, I wouldn't be having my fellow 20 year old friends having no idea how to work their android phones. One of the things I like to do on social media is just read through comments and see people's reactions to certain events. I find it very interesting since the reaction ends up being very exaggerated online. I have legitimately never seen any comments about recaps on Facebook or Instagram when a corps has posted overall scores to their page.

"Normal" people don't care about recaps. They aren't part of the hardcore fanbase. It's like this for many different activities, hobbies, etc. Walk up to a random iPhone user and ask them if their phone is jailbroken. I'm sure you'd get a very puzzled reaction.

you're confusing technology with information.

knowing what a jail-broken iphone tests for techno-weenie not information-driven.

you're correct in asserting that there is a fan-base simply concerned with placements and a smaller segment interested in recaps. obviously DCP self selects for the latter. but i think the interest far exceeds DCP.

I know it's probably an auto-correct thing: I had to go several months before my phone decided I really meant "corps" and not "cores".

Yea... Why even have finals scored? Might as well just randomly draw 12 cores out of a hat and let them go crazy lmao

BITD when I marched, the prelims & finals judging slates were known well in advance, and some Corps would put certain elements in (or leave them out) because they knew a particular judges preferences. I don't know if this is still done, but my 'plan' would render this moot.

Plus, can you imagine DCP exploding trying to determine where, for example Madison this year, would fit in the mix if there were no scores?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

http://www.fromthepressbox2.com/20160627hamilton.htm

This is as much of a recap as they give. Nothing compared to this from last year...

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/2015junedcirecaps.htm

Now, which one do you think that corps staffers get to see? And stadium announcers? And DCI staff and volunteers? And do you think any of those people tell their friends about it? And do you think some of those friends might be judges?

It's hard for me to believe that any insider knows any less about the numbers than s/he did a year ago. This is entirely about keeping the numbers hidden from outsiders. Some of those outsiders might be people with websites/apps that show DCI scores surrounded by ads. Some of those outsiders might be fans who like to point out by name which judges give their corps low marks. Some of those outsiders might be people who like to use data and statistics to predict DCI scores. And if you're just a fan, you are an outsider; no numbers for you.

• Like 3

My entertainment factor with DCI has gone down probably ~ 40% without recaps.

I enjoy numbers.

Now, which one do you think that corps staffers get to see? And stadium announcers? And DCI staff and volunteers? And do you think any of those people tell their friends about it? And do you think some of those friends might be judges?

It's hard for me to believe that any insider knows any less about the numbers than s/he did a year ago. This is entirely about keeping the numbers hidden from outsiders. Some of those outsiders might be people with websites/apps that show DCI scores surrounded by ads. Some of those outsiders might be fans who like to point out by name which judges give their corps low marks. Some of those outsiders might be people who like to use data and statistics to predict DCI scores. And if you're just a fan, you are an outsider; no numbers for you.

If you think every judge has an inside man at every competition that takes time to send them information you must live a paranoid life lol

• Like 2

If you have any minimal, decent scientific or statistical background, you would know that 3 shows is not enough to see if this is working or not. Come on dude.

As for recaps, I seriously think you're overestimating the curiosity and knowledge and the average/lowest common denominator. If we were a very information driven society, I wouldn't be having my fellow 20 year old friends having no idea how to work their android phones. One of the things I like to do on social media is just read through comments and see people's reactions to certain events. I find it very interesting since the reaction ends up being very exaggerated online. I have legitimately never seen any comments about recaps on Facebook or Instagram when a corps has posted overall scores to their page.

"Normal" people don't care about recaps. They aren't part of the hardcore fanbase. It's like this for many different activities, hobbies, etc. Walk up to a random iPhone user and ask them if their phone is jailbroken. I'm sure you'd get a very puzzled reaction.

Cappy,

I "like" your post..... and clicked "like" to give you credit for both content and analysis ! 9.5 content 7.0 analysis (I disagree about the statistics part)

I agree that only hardcore fans care about recaps...... but that's what I am, and I suspect a few other "not normals" on this forum. They use to call us "Drum Corps NUT"

I do have some background in statistics as part of my math major from 1966 (maybe it's changed). I don't think the results of this experiment will be judged using any scientific method. Judging and scoring are objective and comparative and cannot be scientifically measured, as with a stopwatch or tape measure (they can only be expressed as a sub-caption score). You may show a coincidence of patterns, but judging from contest-to-contest and year-to-year cannot be compared. Judging was meant to be as objective as a subjective matter can be. The Blue Devils 99.65 was possible because everyone else was so good, pushing the ceiling higher and higher after the first corps, but BD won all captions except high drums.... that same show in open class might get a 90..... and still be an accurate representation and comparison.

I like information, and I respect all others who can choose anything from sub-captions, to captions, to just scores, or to just watching the show and walking out not caring about the scores.....

I offer NO statistical or objective back-up for my opinion, but I see this experiment terminated.....and soon.

Best wishes.....I always read your posts.....

• Like 1

If you think every judge has an inside man at every competition that takes time to send them information you must live a paranoid life lol

I think every judge is friends with staffers at various corps, because they either see each other and/or work together year round through high school bands and WGI. And also because they've probably been judging for more than a decade and know the people in the small world of DCI pretty well.

They're probably not getting recaps slipped to them in a dark alley. They're certainly hearing comments like "Bloo's drums are on fire, they were half a point ahead of Cadets at the opener" (that's a made-up example) when they chat with their friends in the activity all summer long.

And most directly, they are certainly hearing from staffers in critique if their numbers/comments don't line up with what the corps has gotten from other judges in the caption.

Edited by ShortAndFast