No Detailed Recaps

Now, which one do you think that corps staffers get to see? And stadium announcers? And DCI staff and volunteers? And do you think any of those people tell their friends about it? And do you think some of those friends might be judges?

It's hard for me to believe that any insider knows any less about the numbers than s/he did a year ago. This is entirely about keeping the numbers hidden from outsiders. Some of those outsiders might be people with websites/apps that show DCI scores surrounded by ads. Some of those outsiders might be fans who like to point out by name which judges give their corps low marks. Some of those outsiders might be people who like to use data and statistics to predict DCI scores. And if you're just a fan, you are an outsider; no numbers for you.

I think every judge is friends with staffers at various corps, because they either see each other and/or work together year round through high school bands and WGI. And also because they've probably been judging for more than a decade and know the people in the small world of DCI pretty well.

They're probably not getting recaps slipped to them in a dark alley. They're certainly hearing comments like "Bloo's drums are on fire, they were half a point ahead of Cadets at the opener" (that's a made-up example) when they chat with their friends in the activity all summer long.

And most directly, they are certainly hearing from staffers in critique if their numbers/comments don't line up with what the corps has gotten from other judges in the caption.

So first the judges knew as much as they did last year when they got full recaps and now they are just getting small snip bits of the detailed information? Make up your mind on what your saying lol... That's a big difference from receiving full recaps like I am saying they do not!

• Like 1

So first the judges knew as much as they did last year when they got full recaps and now they are just getting small snip bits of the detailed information? Make up your mind on what your saying lol... That's a big difference from receiving full recaps like I am saying they do not!

I also don't believe that most judges are recap junkies. They probably read the recaps from the shows they judged (and probably still do). They absolutely have to defend their numbers in critique and will be challenged if their number is very different from others. They probably don't spend a lot of time on DCI's scores page. In other words, they're getting the same information and doing the same things they did in past years.

I think the whole messaging around this from DCI ("those bad judges won't be able to peek at the recaps anymore") is dishonest. DCI doesn't expect anything to change about judging and that's not what's motivating the policy change. If DCI has bad judges, it should remove them, not try to hide information from them.

How about you? Do you think that this is a real change for judges vs past years? What difference would you expect to see in scoring/placements as the seasons goes on?

• Like 1

Cappy,

I "like" your post..... and clicked "like" to give you credit for both content and analysis ! 9.5 content 7.0 analysis (I disagree about the statistics part)

I agree that only hardcore fans care about recaps...... but that's what I am, and I suspect a few other "not normals" on this forum. They use to call us "Drum Corps NUT"

I do have some background in statistics as part of my math major from 1966 (maybe it's changed). I don't think the results of this experiment will be judged using any scientific method. Judging and scoring are objective and comparative and cannot be scientifically measured, as with a stopwatch or tape measure (they can only be expressed as a sub-caption score). You may show a coincidence of patterns, but judging from contest-to-contest and year-to-year cannot be compared. Judging was meant to be as objective as a subjective matter can be. The Blue Devils 99.65 was possible because everyone else was so good, pushing the ceiling higher and higher after the first corps, but BD won all captions except high drums.... that same show in open class might get a 90..... and still be an accurate representation and comparison.

I like information, and I respect all others who can choose anything from sub-captions, to captions, to just scores, or to just watching the show and walking out not caring about the scores.....

I offer NO statistical or objective back-up for my opinion, but I see this experiment terminated.....and soon.

Best wishes.....I always read your posts.....

Fair enough :)

• Like 1

Whether a few kids on here understand it or not, it would be extremely easy for judges to find out recap scores. It's not like it would be a cloak and dagger ordeal, and it's not like it would be insidious.

This can only be broken down Barney-style so much.

• Like 1

How about you? Do you think that this is a real change for judges vs past years? What difference would you expect to see in scoring/placements as the seasons goes on?

I do think things will be more accurate... Especially in the beginning of the season. The judges have nothing else to go off of when seeing cores for the first time so they are a lot more to give their real impressions. I expect that withing 2 weeks the judging will become more consistent as the judges feel each other out because if you have ever been in the post competition sessions with directors and judges you know that things get said little by little. I think this sets the season up better as judges can first get their own opinions.

I resemble resent that remark. :wacko:

Brian,

Not only do you qualify as a true Drum Corps Nut....... you are one the few that I would put at "pistachio" level ! Most others of us are mere almonds or cashews...... and a few M Band salted peanuts.

Joe

I personally miss the recaps and find it has taken something out of the season for me. Of course the kids and performances are what ultimately matter most, but I enjoy seeing the numbers and which sections are performing the best for each corps.

• Like 3

http://www.fromthepressbox2.com/20160627hamilton.htm

This is as much of a recap as they give. Nothing compared to this from last year...

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/2015junedcirecaps.htm

Well, we do see what the M A judge gave each corp in Hamilton, Oh. since he was the ONLY music judge!

I do miss pouring over the caption scores and seeing how corps score in relation to each other in specific areas. This really does suck. :thumbdown: