Too Many Tosses!

In another thread a poster made a comment that Crown guard clearly "tosses too much" and that other guards "write to the sheet" better. I'd like explore that a bit.

How much is too much?

Where on the sheets is the correct number of tosses defined?

If it's not on the sheet, how is that number defined?

Is repeating a skill really redundant? Or does demonstrating a skill more than once prove mastery?

In figure skating a quad clearly has more value than a triple. Does an ensemble 7 have more value than an ensemble 5?

Let's discuss!

Edited by corpsband

In another thread poster made a comment that Crown guard clearly "tosses too much" and that other guards "write to the sheet" better. I'd like explore that a bit.

How much is too much?

Where on the sheets is the correct number of tosses defined?

If it's not on the sheet, how is that number defined?

Is repeating a skill really redundant? Or does demonstrating a skill more than once prove mastery?

In figure skating a quad clearly has more value than a triple. Does an ensemble 7 have more value than an ensemble 5?

Let's discuss!

Personally, I don't have an issue with it. I love it...I also love the fact that Crown has almost their entire guard on rifles during the opener. It's cool as SH$T to see all those rifles, especially when they do those staggered tosses during the beginning of the opener. I say TOSS ON!!!

Edited by 2000Cadet

Personally, I don't have an issue with it. I love it...I also love the fact that Crown has almost their entire guard on rifles during the opener. It's cool as SH$T to see all those rifles, especially when they do those staggered tosses during the beginning of the opener. I say TOSS ON!!!

well except when that last person doesn't catch solid :angry:

• Like 1

they toss when appropriate with the music, ain't nothing wrong with that.

Too many tosses?

I have a few more similar issues with some shows this year, so far Crossmen show has too good a groove, Cadets drums are too tight, Phantoms solos are way too gorgeous and Coats props are too much fun.

• Like 6

My friends and I have been of the opinion for years that toss-mania has infected the majority of the guards. Tosses in the ballad. Tosses in flowing melodic parts. Tosses where there is no discernible musical point of emphasis. Toss! Toss! TOSS!

It may be mastery of skill, but oftentimes it is also mastery of bad taste.

The notable exception to this air pollution is Blue Devils. Usually when they toss, it is a standout moment or really big hit. And because they don't overdo it, it has twice the impact. They are also brilliant at moments of nothing - small movements or bits of nuance that pull the audience in to the intricacy of what they are doing. Back when I used to be involved in improv, really experienced performers used to tell us to have the courage to do nothing, as sometimes that was the best choice. When you allow yourself to not cram every moment with excess, it lets the emphasis points resonate that much more.

• Like 3

I know I've heard some guard people knock on full guard riples because it takes up a lot of counts out of possible choreography.

But I think that person talking about too many tosses is talking out of their ###. Have we noticed who has won the Zingali the last 8(?) times? BD's sabres are constant ripple tosses all over the show.

Edited by littlejaw