Drum Corps shows that could have won

Crown's 2014 show was just a fog to me. Other than the great hornline, everything was just meh. Trampoline section was a no. Only thing that really excited me was the huge high brass section.

That high brass section was the highlight of that show. The clarity they were able to reach between the mellos and trumpets was absolutely nuts. I'm still kind of shocked they didn't win the Ott that year.

That high brass section was the highlight of that show. The clarity they were able to reach between the mellos and trumpets was absolutely nuts. I'm still kind of shocked they didn't win the Ott that year.

I believed that the show was created to stay on the course of diverse shows and this one didn't pay off for them. Probably the most recent downfall in years for Crown.

Ya, you're right. This one was on there because I wanted a Scouts show on my list, and who doesn't love a good Pirate show? I didn't know they got 9th in percussion though, wow, ya, I retract. Funny enough, I debated adding Boston 2000 to the list too.

You want a Scouts show on your list? Here is a completely unbiased suggestion: 1981. :smile:

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

I just recently started to read your articles on DCI.org, but I honestly love reading them. You give so much in-depth insight to the shows that it's truly amazing reading your articles. It's almost like I'm transported there in that time as I read them. Just started listening to this podcast, thoroughly enjoying it right now. Thank you.

I am most humbled by your kind words.

• Like 1

I believed that the show was created to stay on the course of diverse shows and this one didn't pay off for them. Probably the most recent downfall in years for Crown.

Tells of the quality of the shows that year for THAT show to be called a "downfall." That was a fantastic show IMO.

Phantom Regiment 2006 - one of my favorite Phantom shows. But man, the Cavies championship show that year was also fantastic...as well as BD. That year gave us one of my favorite top three.

Has anyone said MY favorite Cadet show of all time, 1997, the Sparke show? They were less than a point from BD, and in fact were over them in GE a tiny bit, but BD was so squeaky clean...

"Year of the Dragon" is one of my all-time favorite numbers.

For the tick era, this was a photo finish. Imagine just a couple of fewer errors here and there:

SCV 91.55

PR 91.45

BD 91.20

• Like 1

For the tick era, this was a photo finish. Imagine just a couple of fewer errors here and there:

SCV 91.55

PR 91.45

BD 91.20

SCV in 1978 has been a favorite in those who should not have won threads, though it was a very good show. On the PBS broadcast, I seem to remember cohost and SCV instructor Pete Emmons being shocked though obviously pleased after scores were announced. But wasn't that the infamous dropped rifle that gave Phantom a1.9 instead of 2.0 for color guard and a .1 penalty, which cost them 1st place.

• Like 1