Denver Drumbeat (Drums Along the Rockies)

Let's go Blue Knights!!!!

Definitely a contender, no doubt! Good luck knocking that out of the top 3. I really like the show. The brass had some issues tonight, especially in the ballad hit. I also think they still have more planned for that ending. Seems a bit sparse to me. Still plenty of time to clean and this show should end up being a monster.

Closer is definitely a stopgap. That'll be the last thing they change most likely.

And another year where I feel like BD has an incredible amount of talent, they perform their show extremely well, but I just cannot get into the show.

It's not everyone's cup of tea. True story: before 2014, I hated BD's shows. Couldn't stand em. Then all of a sudden, something clicked, and I started liking their shows a ton, including 2012 which I used to think was awful. They're pretty polarizing

• Like 1

So many groups are doing that this year. Blue Devils have those, Bluecoats have 1/4 pipes, BK has mirrors, and Blue Stars have lamps and bed. Maybe it's a blue thing...

Crown is doing it too without necessarily having props cut them off. They're just staging everything in front of the stagecoach

• Like 2

Dozed off.before intermission and missed OC. :(

Other impressions since:

Troop: the uniform works from up high much better than up close. The lower cut bothers me on the brass but it makes sense for the battery. Powerful sound, great book. Visual needs a whole lot of cleaning. The theme sections are clear enough but the transitions and relationship to one another (If any) seem muddy and it distracts from it feeling like a unified message.

Cavies: STOP THE PRESSES. No really, stop them. I think the color guard fell in and got hurt in the machinery. Pre show seemed to drag on forever. Early in the show, it was hard for me to parse exactly what they were trying to convey about propaganda. Are they saying its a danger? Are they trying to make a message about propaganda in politics? Are they praising it in some regard by presenting it as edgy and ######? By the end, it was clear. After the Hillary and Trump signs clash and drop, the corporate ads running around are so reminiscent of webpage banners it's clearer that the show seems to be aimed at a message of how forces 'other than the plain truth' influence the media in ways that bend or focus information to a portray a narrative that benefits those influences. I think a second read might help me see how the earlier portions of the show portray those forces 'other than the plain truth' were/are used in history. Great misical demand going on. Visually a clutter at times, but that's sort of the point. But can they make the clutter seem intentional and not just read as 'dirt'?

SCV: wow. Third year in a row their drill has a number of moments that just pop. And they seem much cleaner than they were at this point last year or the year before. Musically the show flows really well. The clever shaping of the guard equipment allows them to hide it in plain sight in clever ways that I found delightful. The closer seems less clean but the shape and color of it have a lot of power both visually and musically. That last formation into the shield had me cheering big time. They can layer the hell out of this show as the season progresses and I can see this being very very strong by finals.

Blue Devils: wow. This is going to be a hard show to beat. The design team has another really beautiful concept and it's being performed at a very high level already. I like this better than Ink and perhaps more than Felliniesque. The usual accolades to the captions apply as well but the percussion is hot stuff. That ending can't be the ending of course. And they seemed a bit winded with it too. This show will grow in layers as well

I have seen the same design concepts from BD since 2008. From the brass voicing, leading the percussion with the drum set,and long hair in the female color guard. They play and drum well but they do nothing for me. This show is fine. I liked last year because I love Sondheim, but how do they win year after year when other corps come up with mind blowing concepts and play and drum just as well.

I would think even BD would admit that ballad solo was not in timing sync and a bit off. Visually, this is not my favorite by any stretch, but I love the brass. The sound is rich, deep, and balanced. Percussion is lights out. Wow, so good there. The guard is always good. I think Bluecoats, Crown design wise are right there this year with BD..... not sure why SCV is not right there with BD, as SCV sure looked to me like they had it going tonite too.