Minneapolis Musings

I don't think the problem, for me, with Regiment is that musically it's a show that would fit in 2010. I just don't think it's very compelling musically. I can love a weird show like BK's and an entertaining show like Madison's the same. I love love love love BK's music this year. I think it's very compelling, well constructed, and just very cool and effective. Phantom's, I just think is dull. Regiment's hornline though is great.

Its just different strokes for different folks . I prefer Phantom Regiments music this season way more than Blue Knights. I think BK's music this year is dull... as a matter of fact, their entire show is dull for me compared to their last 2 years shows, both of which I enjoyed immensely.. BK however does have a lot of MM talent it appears to me this season, and they do play and march well, so I credit them for that.. Phantom Regiment looked on the video live feed like they received a better reception to their show here in Minny, than did the Blue Knights. That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they like in music, and there really is no right or wrong answer when it comes to personal preference in music.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

i preferred G, too, but there were very few corps year to year that could get a good (for me) sound out of them.

You see this argument pretty much every time the topic is discussed. I feel the exact same way about Bb/F. A few that get a good sound out of them each year, and for the rest the notes are just...there. It doesn't sound bad. It just sounds there.

On the multi-cam, you can see lots of technique inconsistencies and breakdowns, and the drill isn't clean up top. The judges probably are stationed in front of areas where they saw those problems, hence the score.

That help?

Yes, some. Would you say there were more inconsistencies with Troop than with other corps around them? I mean, I saw BK brass out of step in one portion of their performance, too. With Troopers, I did see some forms that were not tidy, but I also saw improvement in the full arc in the closer.

for the record: I've always liked Academy, and I like this this year, though last year's show seemed to lift me up more. They are really good. But I also think they play it safe with the visual demand, lots of follow-me, whereas Troop is backing blind into forms and playing a lot on the move.

No doubt that Casper has work to do, in all phases. But then, so does every corps. I'm just mystified why, as all other corps improve, their scores rise apace. Except Troopers. Are they not improving? Are other corps improving faster?

• Like 1

Since BD didn't perform tonight and next Saturday's Southwestern Championship performance order is determined from tonight's show, will BD be the first World Class corps to perform not having recorded a score?

Since BD didn't perform tonight and next Saturday's Southwestern Championship performance order is determined from tonight's show, will BD be the first World Class corps to perform not having recorded a score?

They'll either pick their last score or the one tomorrow. They won't go first, this was out of their control and DCI will cater to that.

Either way, they'll still be in the same group for performance draw if they still do it in groups of 3.

You see this argument pretty much every time the topic is discussed. I feel the exact same way about Bb/F. A few that get a good sound out of them each year, and for the rest the notes are just...there. It doesn't sound bad. It just sounds there.

which is why it's about taste, and it's not actually an argument at all.

you should see how geeky people can get talking about the sounds that world class symphonies prioritize.

• Like 1

They'll either pick their last score or the one tomorrow. They won't go first, this was out of their control and DCI will cater to that.

Either way, they'll still be in the same group for performance draw if they still do it in groups of 3.

Yeah their last score is still above Cadets and SCV (impressive, considering this competition was 4 days ago), so they'll be in the top grouping no matter what

Edited by Cappybara

They're announcing scores, yet the webcast didn't wait to let us hear them. Nice job again, DCI.

First world problems.

The scores will be available shortly. :hehe:

+++

Aren't you old enough to remember when we used to get our scores 2 weeks after the event when Drum Corps World newspaper was mailed to us? :poke:

Great night of drum corps, wish BD would've performed but oh well. General thoughts- Very good performance levels by so many. Harder and harder to score well because you see corps stepping up so much year to year. I loved SCV, thought it wasn't their best run though. Cavies to me are the cleanest performance of the night. I don't think they'll drop but as SCV gets more and more clean they'll distance from Cavies. Phantom has the sound of the great corps we've come to love, but the show is not up to their performance level. Still much improved over last two years. BStars were 2nd cleanest show tonight imo. I'm not nearly as impressed with their vis construction as the music but it's a good vehicle. Very large step for them. BK has the obvious dirt to work through and more layering. Tonight though was a very good night for the Dots, they performed well and started to rise up. I suspect we'll see 7-10 fighting for a good while! Madison was flat to me tonight. Maybe because I loved Academy, Troop and even BStars so much. It felt like more of a traditional drum corps show than the last few times I saw it. Don't know, maybe just an off night, but I really loved Academy tonight and thought the GE score was about right. Academy deserves that score! Best surprise/mist improved drum corps!!! So refreshing. Troop- some transitional issues, but all components are there. I feel like their show has more challenge and risk than Academy but they're just not performing at a great visual level. Colts- almost forgotten about- best Colts I've seen since maybe ever. Very strong. Good show, great music and yet will likely be 15th at best. Ditto with OC. A few years back OC MUGHT HAVE A SHOT AT FINALS- not this year but still such a great step up. Mandarins, PC, Pio all had good offerings and great quality. If you missed Genesis, make a point it see them- they very well might win Open Class- incredible.

Nice comments and I agree with most of what you said. My overall thought after now seeing almost all the shows is that the trend this year is less clutter and just more drill and music. I love this. Cavies were on fire - clearly the performance of the night. Still love SCV's show with all my heart. Some shows I had not yet seen that surprised me in a good way - Bluestars, Colts & Mandarins. BD got burned for sure - feel bad for the MMs especially. My homies OC made a nice jump. What a season!!!

Edited by luv4corps