Minneapolis Musings

Mmmm....well, sort of. Sure, it is different hearing a percussion section on the field vs. in the box. But you would expect that difference to manifest itself uniformly across all corps. And for the most part Saturday in Minneapolis, they did. Except for Troopers vs. Academy. With every other drum line, the two judges never disagreed by more than 2 placements. With Academy and Troop, they disagreed by 4. What's that all about?

I feel like people have been doing a pretty good job answering your questions. I'm not sure what you want people to tell you, that the judges have some sort of bias against Troop? Judging is pretty subjective, I wouldn't sweat one anomaly.

No, nothing like that. I don't have anything in mind that I expect them to tell me. I just have had some questions that probe judging method. Here, for example, you write the inconsistent perc scores off to an anomaly. It may well be. A few posts earlier, however, Drum man suggests it's a result of judges on the field vs. judges in the box. I find all the different explanations interesting because so few of them are entirely satisfactory. Troop has been my window into this because I follow their progress and watch their numbers, and we just got a surprise release of a full recap. But I'm not expecting anyone to affirm any kind of bias for me. It's just that the more I ponder judging, the more mysterious it seems.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

No, nothing like that. I don't have anything in mind that I expect them to tell me. I just have had some questions that probe judging method. Here, for example, you write the inconsistent perc scores off to an anomaly. It may well be. A few posts earlier, however, Drum man suggests it's a result of judges on the field vs. judges in the box. I find all the different explanations interesting because so few of them are entirely satisfactory. Troop has been my window into this because I follow their progress and watch their numbers, and we just got a surprise release of a full recap. But I'm not expecting anyone to affirm any kind of bias for me. It's just that the more I ponder judging, the more mysterious it seems.

DCI could definitely be more transparent about judging for sure. I remember a while back people suggested releasing some judging tapes, but the concern is that judges would become less open about their comments if they knew that the tape would be shared for everyone to hear.

When the cloaked guard [of Academy] is coming on the field, all I can think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and I keep expecting them to slap themselves on the forehead with wooden panels while chanting in Latin.

Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure the Holy Grail makes an appearance in the drill for Madison's show.

I feel like people have been doing a pretty good job answering your questions. I'm not sure what you want people to tell you, that the judges have some sort of bias against Troop? Judging is pretty subjective, I wouldn't sweat one anomaly.

He's had too much coffee, man. (Couldn't resist that one)

• Like 1

in case anybody is wondering where that amazing arrangement of unchained melody came from, here it is.

maurice jarre outdid himself.

Beautiful, Simply Beautiful....Thanks for posting the video! The Academy uses it in such a dramatic way as it's closer. WOW. One has to watch "Drum Corpse Bride" many times over to catch all the intricacies of the incredible work of its guard.

Academy 2017: Spamalot

Open with the Fisch Schlapping Song!

My problem with a show based on ":Spamalot!" (and I saw it twice on Broadway), is that a lot of the humor is in the lyrics, so unless you want to use a vocalist the entire show, much of it will just sound like average, or even quite silly, music.

For instance, the ballad "The Song That Goes Like This" is what it is due to the lyrics, IMO.

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6TAJeBaD4

[quote henry7184"

I don't know how anyone, in their right mind, can say Madison or Blue Stars have more content in their guard books than Cavies. I'm truly stunned by those marks.

Blue stars have more content in their guard book

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 2