Drenched in DeKalb

Where are the drum scores coming from? I don't see them on the breakdown from DCI.org.

Where are the drum scores coming from? I don't see them on the breakdown from DCI.org.

A user posted the full recap a few pages back. The public recaps are just GE, visual, and music.

:grrr:Have a question.. If BD went on first how did they receive high scores in several areas before another corps even performed?? Do the judges have crystal balls and already know how the others will perform?? Stuff like this makes me feel like not even going to a show since the outcome has already been decided imo. Been this way for years so why waste the money. I know the formula they use, which is like pulling straws, but I get how so many feel the contests are not all that fair and some feel results have been decided before hand. Not a great way to grow a activity and recruit new blood.

:grrr:Have a question.. If BD went on first how did they receive high scores in several areas before another corps even performed?? Do the judges have crystal balls and already know how the others will perform?? Stuff like this makes me feel like not even going to a show since the outcome has already been decided imo.

Couple of things because I think you are misunderstanding the judging system:

• A corps does not have to be competing against another corps or follow a corps for them to be scored appropriately. So BD going on first is not a problem for the judges.
  • Judges don't only judge a corps in comparison to another corps (which is almost what you are eluding to above). They judge a corps in various captions based on what the kids are doing as performers and what content they have been given.
  • It's not hard for trained judges to see that BD is strong in all captions and all they will do is assign an appropriate number according to that strength and design. If some corps beats that later in the show, then great, but the judge doesn't need a direct comparison to make that call. A good judge can see BD's percussion peprform first, SCV 5th, and Bluecoats 9th (in terms of show order) and still make the right call.
  • So what will happen is the judge of each caption will assign a fair number based on BD's performance. Then as the show progresses they can assess other corps in the same manner -- according to their own performances and show construction.
  • Think of it this way, if I am judging visual ex and I see BD first. I assign them an 8.2. Then as the show progresses I see a number of good units, but none of them match BD, well then their numbers will reflect that. If someone marches better then their score will be higher.

There is no conspiracy in DCI judging. It is misunderstood by many, and there are subjective captions, like GE, that can cause argument. But I doubt DCI -- behind closed doors -- said "let"s make sure Blue Devils win 17 titles so we can crush the hopes of the other corps so they ultimately quit the activity." Why would they do that.

Ultimately DCI Judges have a duty to be honest and objective. When the Blue Devils win it's because they are the BEST corps. Period. It's not that subjective. Not nearly as much as people think. All the performance captions are fairly objective and require standard knowledge of balance, blend, articulation, style, attack, release, phasing, tonal control, demand, artistic content, etc. A good musician/educator/judge can see all these corps in any order and make the call on placement. Even visual ex is not subjective. Guard execution is not that subjective. The analysis captions sometimes are, as is GE, but even in those cases I believe judges work extremely hard to be objective and make the right call.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 8

I love how we want judges to judge a show by group and not slot and then BD goes on first and wins and people go what the hell. THEY ARE DOING WHAT YOU WANT WHY COMPLAIN??? No matter your opinion on the show BD was the best last night and the judges didn't change numbers. They gave their score to BD and nobody was as good so they won. It's that easy. Seems like people have to ##### about something no matter what happens

• Like 2

I love how we want judges to judge a show by group and not slot and then BD goes on first and wins and people go what the hell. THEY ARE DOING WHAT YOU WANT WHY COMPLAIN??? No matter your opinion on the show BD was the best last night and the judges didn't change numbers. They gave their score to BD and nobody was as good so they won. It's that easy. Seems like people have to ##### about something no matter what happens

Is just one person who seems to have an honest question about how shows are judged.

• Like 1

There have been several complaints about judges. The Minneapolis thread had a lot.

Yes but his question was about order performance and scoring, and it was simply a misunderstanding. There's not a conspiracy against blue Devils anymore than there is one for them.

• Like 1

Yes but his question was about order performance and scoring, and it was simply a misunderstanding. There's not a conspiracy against blue Devils anymore than there is one for them.

We are actually in a time where performance order doesn't mean anything and it's great. People predicted a BD loss because they went on first and at Minneapolis people expected a BS drop because they went on several groups before the ones they beat Friday. I'm excited to see what happens at SA with all the mixed up groupings especially the academy vs Boston.