Drenched in DeKalb

I just was curious as to how things were done now and didn't expect to see some rather testy responses. Sorry I asked. Should be used to hostile, testy responses on here. I appreciate jwillis response since it answered my question. I also forget this is the internet. Testy/ nasty is a common thread.Thanks.

• Like 3

The BD drum score. Wow. Curious to see if those placements hold up. The had the highest content score but fell off in achievement. They're playing an insanely hard book.

More surprising to me is Crown was 2nd in drums.

DCI ought to do more to help audiences understand G.E., because every year, this question comes up again and again.

I haven't seen the score sheets since 2012, when Vis. G.E. and Mus. G.E. were still split, but at that time, the General Effect-Visual sheet asked judges to determine whether the following two aspects were true Rarely (Box 1, 1-29), Infrequently (Box 2, 30-49), Sometimes (Box 3, 50-69), Usually (Box 4, 70-89), or Always (Box 5, 90-100).

"Repertoire Effect:

-Audience Engagement

-Audio and Visual Coordination

-Interpretation of the Music

-Variety of Effects

-Creativity, Originality, and Artistry"

"Performers:

-Performers Engage the Audience

-Delivered / Sustained the Effects

-Embodied / Sustained Character, Role, Identity, Style

-Communicated Detail, Nuance, and Artistic Qualities"

On the reverse of that sheet, by way of elaborating on the above the following questions were offered for consideration:

"Repertoire Effect:

-To what extent does the realization of repertoire, and conceptual vision, engage the audience through compelling impact, contour, shape, pace, development, etc. over time?

-How effective is the audio and visual coordination? Does it speak with a unified voice?

-How effective is the interpretation of the music through the use of form, body, and equipment? Does it speak to the scale and scope of full field presentation?

-Is there an extensive and dramatic variety of effect over time?

-Is there a presence of creativity and/or originality and/or artistry?

-How do each of these factors, collectively and individually, compare to each and all the other units in the competition?"

"Performers:

-How effectively do the performers engage the audience through their excellence, communication skills, and emotional commitment?

-How effectively do the performers deliver and sustain the effects and effectiveness of the program?

-How effectively do the performers deliver and sustain their roles, styles, or identity (-ties) over time?

-How effectively do the performers deliver and sustain details, nuance, and artistic qualities?

-In all these regards, how do these performers compare to other performers in the competition?"

If we want to understand G.E. ask we should ask ourselves these sorts of questions as we watch the performances. They're not particularly difficult questions.

(You might come to a different decision than the judges, and that's OK! They don't always agree with each other.)

Thank you so much for posting this! I have wanted to see something like this for years, even if these sheets may be a little out of date because of the GE #1 & #2 crossover.

I don't mean this sarcastically ... just an honest question ... where does the often repeated assertion that judges are looking for depth of concept fall in this rubric?

More surprising to me is Crown was 2nd in drums.

And they were first the night before, beating Bluecoats. Personally, I am thrilled to see Crown's percussion is moving up the sheets!

And they were first the night before, beating Bluecoats. Personally, I am thrilled to see Crown's percussion is moving up the sheets!

Granted I only saw the show on periscope but it sounded like Coats had a rough percussion run yet still won drums. Can anyone who was there confirm that?

I just was curious as to how things were done now and didn't expect to see some rather testy responses. Sorry I asked. Should be used to hostile, testy responses on here. I appreciate jwillis response since it answered my question. I also forget this is the internet. Testy/ nasty is a common thread.Thanks.

Never be afraid to ask an honest question. Most will help and respond nicely. This is a good place overall. Competition does bring out some fire in all of us from time to time, but no one means any harm. And to be honest, I sometimes don't always understand the judging system. One thing we all have to keep in mind is that these are kids and they don't always perform to their best ability. Scores will often reflect that inconsistency throughout the season.

• Like 2

Granted I only saw the show on periscope but it sounded like Coats had a rough percussion run yet still won drums. Can anyone who was there confirm that?

As far as I could tell, there were only two Periscopes of the show and neither were anywhere near the 50 yard line. The phasing and in some cases just flat out bad timing issues were likely the result of being way off center with a really poor mic.