Drenched in DeKalb

I continue to be frustrated with the judging community. Cadets are panned for a show theme that is not conveyed well while the Blue Devils are winning GE with wink and a nod towards the Tempest. BD has the top number in percussion book, which is not even in the top five in difficulty ( I watch a LOT of lot videos :music: ). Bluecoats are dinged for running from set to set for staging, regardless that they are in step, in time, and in form, whilst the Devils do flutter step out of time transitions everywhere.

Don't get me started on the guard.

Whew. I needed that.

/rant

All I've been hearing on DCP is how incredibly hard BD's percussion book is. Is that wrong?

How do you Bluecoats are specifically getting dinged for running from set to set? If they are getting dinged for that, are the Bluecoats using good technique when doing these runs? Whenever BD books it, the marching technique is still flawless, it looks as if they're gliding on air

• Like 2

All I've been hearing on DCP is how incredibly hard BD's percussion book is. Is that wrong?

How do you Bluecoats are specifically getting dinged for running from set to set? If they are getting dinged for that, are the Bluecoats using good technique when doing these runs? Whenever BD books it, the marching technique is still flawless, it looks as if they're gliding on air

I'm still reserving my show analysis this year until I see the corps for the first time (Texas!). But I have no idea what the person your replying to is thinking. BD's percussion book is great, otherwise they don't receive a sub caption 86 content and 80 achievement.

BD also portrays a character, at times it is far more interesting to see a member act out the feel of the show as opposed to just marching set to set. They also march set to set and do it quite phenomenally.

Also Bluecoats aren't getting knocked for doing some of the same things, not quite sure where they are seeing that.

I'm still reserving my show analysis this year until I see the corps for the first time (Texas!). But I have no idea what the person your replying to is thinking. BD's percussion book is great, otherwise they don't receive a sub caption 86 content and 80 achievement.

BD also portrays a character, at times it is far more interesting to see a member act out the feel of the show as opposed to just marching set to set. They also march set to set and do it quite phenomenally.

Also Bluecoats aren't getting knocked for doing some of the same things, not quite sure where they are seeing that.

It's simple. The person Cappy is replying to is mad because BD is winning and their favorite corps isn't. The end.

• Like 3

GARFIELD. Why the black uniforms? Why? T

Why the use of "Garfield?" WHY???

IMO it's trolling and it's disrespectful. George Hopkins addressed this years ago after the change to The Cadets when he asked fans NOT to continue to call them Garfield. You're savvy enough to know and remember that.

I would respectfully ask that you show respect for this wonderful corps by calling them the name they have asked you to call them.

+++

Mr. FlamMan: The rest of that post was wonderful. Well written, insightful and shows you absolutely know your stuff when it comes to drum corps. I enjoyed your review.

I am 100% with you in regards to Vanguard's uniforms as being just fantastic, the best this year.

I also whole heartedly agree with you about Cadet's use of the black unis, it just leaving me in tears. The Maroon and Gold is part of their identity and connects them with their fans. I love Cadets but when I see them in the black I just just feel like "that's not my corps."

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

IMO it's trolling and it's disrespectful. George Hopkins addressed this years ago after the change to The Cadets when he asked fans NOT to continue to call them Garfield. You're savvy enough to know and remember that.

I would respectfully ask that you show respect for this wonderful corps by calling them the name they have asked you to call them.

+++

Mr. FlamMan: The rest of that post was wonderful. Well written, insightful and shows you absolutely know your stuff when it comes to drum corps. I enjoyed your review.

I am 100% with you in regards to Vanguard's uniforms as being just fantastic, the best this year.

I also whole heartedly agree with you about Cadet's use of the black unis, it just leaving me in tears. The Maroon and Gold is part of their identity and connects them with their fans. I love Cadets but when I see them in the black I just just feel like "that's not my corps."

Black is the new black.

People want the Cadets to get rid of the M&G.

I personally want them BACK in Maroon and Gold.

I also wish we could have fast hard drill again.

But I have also recognized that this is not my drum corps and I cannot be annoyed at the changes they've made to continue to be relevant.

However, I am quite annoyed that the mess hall closed early and I didn't get a chance to eat lunch.

• Like 3

Huh, I didn't know that. Without knowing the explanation, it seems like an odd request, though I take you at your word that FM has heard it before. (That said, given that Hopkins can make mistakes just like anyone else, I wonder if his reasoning is sound on this point.)

Thank you so much for posting this! I have wanted to see something like this for years, even if these sheets may be a little out of date because of the GE #1 & #2 crossover.

I don't mean this sarcastically ... just an honest question ... where does the often repeated assertion that judges are looking for depth of concept fall in this rubric?

Skimming quickly through the sheets, I don't see the phrase "depth of concept" anywhere.

I don't see the word "depth" anywhere in the G.E. sheets.

The word "depth" does appear in the performance sheets and in the visual and musical analysis sheets. For example:

Percussion: "What is the depth and breadth of individual and shared responsibilities related to the music vocabulary?"

Visual Analysis: "How does the unit utilize the elements of design and any principles of design, such as unity, for example? The elements of design are not a list but rather tools through which to create a depth and breadth of design."

• Like 1

There is no conspiracy in DCI judging. It is misunderstood by many, and there are subjective captions, like GE, that can cause argument. But I doubt DCI -- behind closed doors -- said "let"s make sure Blue Devils win 17 titles so we can crush the hopes of the other corps so they ultimately quit the activity." Why would they do that?

If anything, DCI's incentive would be to underscore other corps to make things appear more competitive than they really are and get fans' hopes up, which would presumably lead to higher tickets sales. Maybe BD is actually better than their scores often indicate.

Skimming quickly through the sheets, I don't see the phrase "depth of concept" anywhere.

The word "depth" does appear in the performance sheets and in the visual and musical analysis sheets. For example:

Percussion: "What is the depth and breadth of individual and shared responsibilities related to the music vocabulary?"

Visual Analysis: "How does the unit utilize the elements of design and any principles of design, such as unity, for example? The elements of design are not a list but rather tools through which to create a depth and breadth of design."

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at the sheets. I think it has become an article of faith that depth of concept was incorporated into judging criteria. Depth and breadth of design is not the same thing.

nope. although language on the sheet does let you talk about all the components that make up depth of design.

GE is supposed to be reacting not analyzing :-)

If GE is "does it work", depth of design would enable it to work on multiple and/or simultaneous levels.

i don't think it's really such a new concept.

Edited by corpsband