Where is DCI?

Its not even the cost of the props. Look at the sound rig Bloo uses. While those props are a part of the show design, look at the overall packaging. What you cannot see is the amount of money spent from Crown, BD, Cadets, etc on the show design itself. Its not really a secret that the highest paid in the activity are the ones working in those places from a design aspect. There's also the money thrown into supporting groups. Look at the small village that rolls into town when these groups show up versus what others are touring with.

Not that there needs to be a salary cap, (well, if its marching music's major league... maybe their should be... just like the other major leagues) but perhaps there could be a listing of corps budgets like MLB does with each team's spending.

I think you'll notice a vast difference in money spent (even in some of those in the bottom 6) from the top 4 groups.

Yea, maybe somebody should start a thread of the 990s data...

:shutup:

• Like 5

Yea, maybe somebody should start a thread of the 990s data...

:shutup:

i think that would eye opening to many. First of what it actually costs to produce at all levels of this activity, but also, to see who gets the most bang for their buck.

i think that would eye opening to many. First of what it actually costs to produce at all levels of this activity, but also, to see who gets the most bang for their buck.

I honestly can't tell who's seen it and who hasn't, but HERE it is in all it's glory.

And you're right, it was very eye-opening.

I consider it similar to the progression over time from the more formulaic opera composers of sequential self-contained set pieces being superseded by the through-compositions of Wagner. However, that progression inevitably continued, and led to certain strains of modern composition which drove away listeners who felt they had pushed beyond the edge of the envelope into meaninglessness that was no longer either musical nor even enjoyable.

I think that last part is what some fear now, that things will get pushed too far beyond what is appealing. The ultimate danger of becoming outdoor WGI is not just the additional of some elements of WGI, but the potential adoption of the fundamental nature of WGI: that the music is merely accompaniment for the guard/dancing/visual. The danger of adding electronics, vocals, emphasis on dancing, etc., is that we reach a point where the designers (and/or the judges) feel that such recorded vocals, sound effects, or even recording music, are better than the live music because they can be more easily manipulated to attain the "artistic vision" of a visually oriented show. I think that is the ultimate fear, when people say it's becoming "too WGI".

I think those who keep saying it's to WGI like are only using WGI as an excuse but it's actually more accurate to say change, progression, the next step, etc etc. I have absolutely have no doubt all you mentioned and much more is on the horizon. For me I say as long as the activity is still around, bring it on. All of it.

I think those who keep saying it's to WGI like are only using WGI as an excuse but it's actually more accurate to say change, progression, the next step, etc etc. I have absolutely have no doubt all you mentioned and much more is on the horizon. For me I say as long as the activity is still around, bring it on. All of it.

Have you watched WGI winds?

Have you watched WGI winds?

Yes , closely actually, so maybe its WGI is becoming more like DCI and not the other way around if someone needs to place blame ( doesn't make sense to me to do that though). One can't blame another form of the activity for a natural progression into 2016 especially when we are very much a crossbreeding activity.

Again , as someone who has done this for many decades, as long as it's still around I say bring it on. AS talent has grown and what it has become it's one heck of a production.

Change is not always good but happens. I went to the symphony recently and i was stunned at the big screens, visuals, electronics, etc etc. It was a something to see as well as hear.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

I honestly can't tell who's seen it and who hasn't, but HERE it is in all it's glory.

And you're right, it was very eye-opening.

Money might buy some things in DCI.