Where is DCI?

Well Turkey Lurky, There are three little words to throw at you: Adapt or Die. That comes from the following quote: "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one most adaptable to change" - Charles Darwin. Prior to the formation of DCI, there were changes being made that were going to be the downfall of drum corps: double bass drum, bells (or glockenspiel), tympani, piston valves, rotary valves and so on. And here we are today with this version of DC. If what you are seeing is so painful to watch or listen to there is an incredibly easy solution. Stop listening, stop watching. But if you can tolerate incredible musicianship, marching ability, expertise in dance and equipment use outstanding brass composition and percussion and show design all influenced and taught by old school and new school drum corps people, then sit back and enjoy and wonder, like me, how the #### did they do that?

The level of excellence of corps in general and depth of excellence in each performing corps today is beyond anything imaginable back when DCI was born. And it all has its roots in what you liked BITD.

No one likes everything. No one ever did like EVERYTHING. But there is a lot to like. With the resources corps have today, the use of electronics, the incorporation of materials and technology to produce what you see on the field today and the choices today's MM's have in what to be involved with, leaves no place for small mindedness. If you feel like you can no longer stand it, then go away. Be at peace.

While I agree with most of what you posted here, you should also not be so dismissive of his argument.

I think the point is change is change. Something that is just becoming more acceptable in the activity. There was a time where guards also were outfitted the same as the corps. Long gone . I have done bands where the drum lines and pits and DMs followed the theme of the show with what they wore. Worked great imo

I posted this on another thread... my old team (DCA's Sunrisers) outfitted the entire corps in costumes when they did Les Miserables in 2011. I thought it was very effective... certainly helped sell the theme!!!

• Like 1

Not exactly accurate. Over the last decade they have had only three uniforms that were specific to the shows: 2012 (Bridgemania), 2013 (Soul Surfin') and 2015 (Sun Surfin', which uniform was universally panned).

In 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2016 they have the current navy uniform with white trim. This season they modified the shako, guantlets and cummerbund, but otherwise it's the same.

From 2005-2009 they also wore a single, standard uniform.

And in 2002, 2003 and 2004, they wore costumes tailored to the specific show theme.

So every ten year, they flirt with the idea of specific costumes for a few years before coming back to regular uniforms. I don't see that supporting the notion that costumes are the inevitable wave of the future.

Oh brother. This thread is pathetic.

Go out there and start something of you own if you don't like it.

Pathetic? It's a discussion thread. We're discussing.

If you don't want to discuss, move along, for there's nothing for you to see here.

Plus there are the thousands of competitive HS MB today that filled the space taken up by hundreds of smaller competitive corps that existed back at the start of DCI. I believe the number in the drum corps history book was 440 competitive corps in 1971; Today there are nationwide thousands of competitive bands across the country. Add to it the competitive corps in DCI and DCA, and you have a very nice mix of competitive marching/music ensembles.

...BIG point (one that I've put out there many a time...) HS bands in my day were dismal, halftime-a-week affairs...biggest deal, at least outdoors, were the parades, which were hotly contested and still are around here. Difference is, there are 4 (at least!) circuits active in SoCal catering to drum corps-type shows...haven't taken a poll or generated any numbers, but I'll betcha there are 3 or 4 hundred competitive groups just in this area. The groups are set up like corps; color guard (although it's interesting to question the membership as to *what* they are guarding...lol...*and* their teachers...) drumline and "winds"...the shows are constructed in the manner popularized by corps, but maybe augmented/enhanced/lab-ratted by the band world (that trombone lick that knocks you down in BD's opener? YouTube Logan HS from last season...yes indeed!). So, yes, there is MORE opportunity to participate in pageantry (at least OUR style of pageantry) than in the past. Man, just look at Texas! So Mike...why do we always agree? ;0)

Edited by chasgroh
  • Like 1

Not exactly accurate. Over the last decade they have had only three uniforms that were specific to the shows: 2012 (Bridgemania), 2013 (Soul Surfin') and 2015 (Sun Surfin', which uniform was universally panned).

In 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2016 they have the current navy uniform with white trim. This season they modified the shako, guantlets and cummerbund, but otherwise it's the same.

From 2005-2009 they also wore a single, standard uniform.

Just prior to those years, they did two very show-specific costume productions, Down the Shore with Jersey Surf and Lounging Around (with the entire corps wearing Elvis wigs).

Both shows were excellent!

Oh brother. This thread is pathetic.

No, it's really not. The original post was flawed, to be sure, but much of the ensuing discussion is quite interesting (not meaning my posts, to be sure).

• Like 1