Denton TX Duelings

Bluecoats show is just head and shoulders above Crown's from a design standpoint. A whole different level. Lots of dirt in the last section of drill still, but it is really tough, constantly rotating stuff.

Their use of space is simply fantastic and all so interesting.

I would love it if you could elaborate on your final comment there. Your in-depth comments are frequently very helpful to those of us with less of a design sensibility.

From top to bottom, Guardians to Cavies, that was probably the most I have been entertained by anything ever.

Awesome!

Who did a better job with Britney Spears' "Toxic": Guardians this year or Gold last year?

Postmodern Jukebox. 😎

Hmm, the song does translate quite well to that style, which suggests to me that it is as good as I thought.

This show is what the scouts *should* be doing in the 2010's :-) It really is the mid 90s Scouts updated for today.

What a great comment!

Have they added that box between the 30 & 35 on stage right and moved the fiddle player up to the front....

so what's on top of the big wedding cake now.

The violinist was moved up front by the second week of the season, if not before, I think, and the trumpeter was moved from the right "cake" to the left one. Presumably because if a wireless microphone fails, the trumpeter can simply play louder (like any soloist of yore), while the violinist cannot, so she's now wired, I think. The right cake now has the Adonis figure, or whatever he is.

Did I hear the show introduced simply as "Awakening" tonight? No more "Statues" in the title?

The violinist was moved up front by the second week of the season, if not before, I think, and the trumpeter was moved from the right "cake" to the left one. Presumably because if a wireless microphone fails, the trumpeter can simply play louder (like any soloist of yore), while the violinist cannot, so she's now wired, I think. The right cake now has the Adonis figure, or whatever he is.

Did I hear the show introduced simply as "Awakening" tonight? No more "Statues" in the title?

Yes Hop mentioned that now that the show has reached a bit more clarity among the audience and judging community, they're moving back to "Awakening."

Here's to hoping it becomes "Stoned" by Championship week

I really enjoyed last night's show. Had to call bingo so I didn't see all the corps. Had to rewind the DCI LIVE player and was able to catch Academy and part of Pacific Crest, and then saw Santa Clara onward. So much to enjoy from all the corps. Entertainment is good this year. I believe almost every corps, at this show at least, had something that people could get "into."

Competitively their are some fantastic battles this summer. The battle to get into the top 12 is going to be amazing. The battle for placements from 6 - 9 or 10 - 12, just amazing. The top 3 are crazy good, as are the 2 corps trying to break into the top 3.

As of now it seems we have a top 3 (BD, Crown, BLOO), tier 2 (Cadets, SCV), tier 3 (Cavaliers, Blue Knights, Phantom Regiment), tier 4 (Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen), and on and on with the battle for top 12 (Academy, Boston, Troopers, Colts and others).

Bluecoats were just awesome! They still have major dirt in their closer to clean, but that show has so much upward potential, and what an enjoyable show! They are still my pick to win it all come Indy.

BD will beat them, better show in my opinion...also stronger guard.

Agreed. Surprised Bloo has gone as far as they have with this show. I would put Crown a point over them.
  • Like 2

Tarp on the center field is genius. It will cover the Indianapolis Colts helmet at Lucas Oil perfectly and help with GE! Just need to clean up how they keep it flat and perfectly round with the marching on it.

I just checked the Colts preseason schedule. They will be in Buffalo on Sunday after Finals. In the past if there wasn't a Sunday home game, they removed the helmet logo though not always.

What do you think? Odds?

I really enjoyed last night's show. Had to call bingo so I didn't see all the corps. Had to rewind the DCI LIVE player and was able to catch Academy and part of Pacific Crest, and then saw Santa Clara onward. So much to enjoy from all the corps. Entertainment is good this year. I believe almost every corps, at this show at least, had something that people could get "into."

Competitively their are some fantastic battles this summer. The battle to get into the top 12 is going to be amazing. The battle for placements from 6 - 9 or 10 - 12, just amazing. The top 3 are crazy good, as are the 2 corps trying to break into the top 3.

As of now it seems we have a top 3 (BD, Crown, BLOO), tier 2 (Cadets, SCV), tier 3 (Cavaliers, Blue Knights, Phantom Regiment), tier 4 (Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen), and on and on with the battle for top 12 (Academy, Boston, Troopers, Colts and others).

Bluecoats were just awesome! They still have major dirt in their closer to clean, but that show has so much upward potential, and what an enjoyable show! They are still my pick to win it all come Indy.

As everyone knows, I love the Bluecoats show, and hope they win Gold. But I am beginning to wonder if the way they've staged the show will be fundamentally problematic to clean in the stretch run. It's just so different than anything the judges have ever seen before, and I don't know how you judge whether so much of their show is 100% coordinated, because by design the corps is doing "group things" all over the field—front, back, left and right.

I was hoping that the longer this show played, the easier it would be to judge. And I guess I still believe that. But I now wonder if it's going to be a lot easier to recognize small improvements in Crown, BD, Cadets and SCV.

Fundamentally, I now wonder if Down Side Up will always be the fan favorite, but always not look totally "clean" by judging standards. The Gold is going to come down to one or two tenths of a point, and in fact that may be the spread between first and fourth. With that fine a margin, I just don't know that Bluecoats will get that final tip of the hat by the judges that I suspect BD and Crown are designing their shows to get.