DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

Did anyone else out there in Big Loud and Live Land experience bad sound? When they showed clips of past shows, the audio was WAY better than the live broadcast.

I may not even go next year because the sound was so disappointing compared to last year.

the live shows were very loud after the guy behind me went and asked them to turn it up a little. it was kind of perfect.

then, when they played clips of past shows, it was so loud that it was distorted

They were under BD by 0.1 in music on Monday and 1.5 over Cavies in music and had solid rehearsal days of 15 hours cleaning the following several days so not buying the 5th in music. I get the changes made in late July but they clean up very fast and the music changes weren't huge, more visual. If GE judges love slides and what Bloo is doing, great, it's a solid corps but don't hammer Cadet brass and percussion because you don't love the show concept, that's why we have captions..

Tobias

I did not hammer them at all... not even remotely... nor did the judges.

Part of my point is that you can account for what you know about the Cadets prep... but you can't account for the rest. That's how this type of competition works, you know that.

You must know that perhaps it is your loyalty that convinces you of an injustice, right?

I'm not speaking about skeptics. The dream of starting a drum corps v. the reality cannot be underestimated. And some of the skeptics may be the reason why the dream of a then 19 year old potential director became a reality. My understanding is the corps has a number of good people involved. Sadly I've already heard rumblings in Indy of one corps not competing next year and one reorganizing may fold. So we need to be realistic, but that differs from some of the comments stated in the past.

Are these two corps, in question, open class or world class? No matter what division, it's sad to think that a couple of corps could be on the brink of joining the long list of other organizations who have become drum corps history.

the live shows were very loud after the guy behind me went and asked them to turn it up a little. it was kind of perfect.

then, when they played clips of past shows, it was so loud that it was distorted

Our broadcast was insanely loud... but good audio.

Differentiated balance between corps with respect to electronic mix and mics.

Some solos were not mixed well.

Edited by cfirwin3

Tobias

I did not hammer them at all... not even remotely... nor did the judges.

Part of my point is that you can account for what you know about the Cadets prep... but you can't account for the rest. That's how this type of competition works, you know that.

You must know that perhaps it is your loyalty that convinces you of an injustice, right?

I have to agree with this, and find this common on many of these threads. "My corps is working hard" so it should improve over "some other corps". It has many forms, sometimes it is "my corps is peaking" or "my corps is known for always finishing strong".

When things don't work out, it becomes "The judging was biased" or "DCI wants xxx corps to be in finals, or to win or whatever".

I think we could do with less of this. Encourage your favored corps, root for them, pray for them even, if that is your want. But let's recognize that all the other corps also have fans rooting for them, and other corps also work hard to achieve the best they can.

And realize it is on on the night of the contest(s) that we get anything close to objective. 5 or 7 or 9 or 11 judges, each out there looking at various parts of the show decide what scores those parts deserve, and then fancy math takes over and we get a score we can see. And yes, each of those sub scores are the subjective opinion of the individual judge. But that is all we have.

Just as an umpire may occasionally blow a call and "we was robbed" might be in order, in most cases, the judging system itself is a self correcting enterprise. And they seem to get it right more often than not, if we look at cases where we don't have a self interest.

That is I may feel that My corps was robbed, I very seldom see situations where Your corps was robbed.

We live in an imperfect world, and DCI may be an imperfect organization, but for the sake of the MMs (and others out there), let's understand what we are saying. Let's try to recognize our own Rose (Blue, Maroon, or whatever) colored glasses.

• Like 1

As much as I like the spin-through-the-props thing when it works, it was a complete disaster last night. People were late, one person missed half the spins, I think somebody dropped, and they pulled them back through the opening at different times.

It is really cool when it goes right, and the work is really tricky to master, but each show it is a bomb waiting to go off. That section is either a gold star or train wreck - no middle ground.

I didn't even pay attention to that live or last night. The center of focus was the corps.

Saw a lot of drops last night, too.

Plus, so much of the good work they are doing in brass and music ensemble was wasted last night due to (continued) overuse of synth, particularly on the low end. It's been that way live all summer, and it was absolutely horrid last night in the theater. They were by no means the only ones guilty of this (I'm looking at you, Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders), but you'd think after several years of it they'd figure it out. You know who didn't have synth/sub issues? Cavies, SCV, Crown, Devils, or Bluecoats.

The Blue Devils.... man, talk about seamless use of all the elements available to them... acoustic, electronic, visual. This year, and pretty much any year. On a consistent basis, the best in the business.

Even the years I might not be totally on board with their music selections, their overall design has been stellar.