2016 World Championship Judging Panels

34 male judges, 1 lone female.

Why aren't there more female judges in the activity?

Not to veer too far off topic but I think not enough is done to reach out. I still feel like DCI judging and instruction still has the old guys club vibe to it. I'd love to see more female judges.

• Like 2

34 male judges, 1 lone female.

Why aren't there more female judges in the activity?

Because DCI is a good ol boy network, thats why. its stuck in the past in this regard.

• Like 3

Not to veer too far off topic but I think not enough is done to reach out. I still feel like DCI judging and instruction still has the old guys club vibe to it. I'd love to see more female judges.

It's amazing that in an activity where people will make a stink about anything, that this isn't more of an issue people are vocal about.

• Like 2

It's amazing that in an activity where people will make a stink about anything, that this isn't more of an issue people are vocal about.

100% agree

• Like 1

Correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think DCI educates judges in-house from novice to expert. Instead they accept judges from other organizations that have such programs in place. I know --- splitting hairs -- but if there's a built-in gender bias in the pool of available judges, you can't blame DCI for the disparity we see on the field. The problem starts sooner at a more local level.

Of course as the administrator of one of the highest level marching arts organizations, DCI probably does have a duty to create and nourish a more gender-neutral pool of judges.

Also not sure if DCI actively recruits judges or just accepts judges who show an interest in judging for them.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

prelims judges are doing 38 corps today, i believe

that's like 400 minutes of pretty intense concentration and commentary

as a teacher, i'm exhausted after talking (on average) 40 minutes per period, 6 periods per day, so 240 minutes or so

Correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think DCI educates judges in-house from novice to expert. Instead they accept judges from other organizations that have such programs in place. I know --- splitting hairs -- but if there's a built-in gender bias in the pool of available judges, you can't blame DCI for the disparity we see on the field. The problem starts sooner at a more local level.

Yeah that's what I was getting at when I said "not enough reaching out." It's the same thing with the whole "not many women do engineering and computer science."

It starts at the beginning in schools and as these women move up, I think there should be initiatives both from DCI and high school judging circuits to encourage women directors and other educators to take on instruction/judging in DCI.

Ironic, given that one of the greatest horn instructors and brass judges ever was Sandra Opie, and this was back in the 1960's through the 1980's.