2017 PREDICTIONS!

Just now, George Dixon said:

believe me on June 15th or so Cadets 1983/84 looked like CRAP and sounded like CRAP. I was there.

I would disagree with '83 - they destroyed everyone early season (except BD and SCV because they hadn't seen them). '84 they weren't any worse than anyone else at the start of the season. I think they were undefeated until DCI Midwest when Vanguard beat them. They were a mess in June '87 too, and '86 was a hot mess, and I'm sure we can pick out other years too. BUT, BUT, BUT, they had great designs to work with (at least in '87). I knew in June '87 went Spirit beat Garfield, that there was no way Spirit was going to beat them at finals. 

I don't feel that's the case this year, at all. We don't have to go round and round as we obviously disagree. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I would disagree with '83 - they destroyed everyone early season (except BD and SCV because they hadn't seen them). '84 they weren't any worse than anyone else at the start of the season. I think they were undefeated until DCI Midwest when Vanguard beat them. They were a mess in June '87 too, and '86 was a hot mess, and I'm sure we can pick out other years too. BUT, BUT, BUT, they had great designs to work with (at least in '87). I knew in June '87 went Spirit beat Garfield, that there was no way Spirit was going to beat them at finals. 

I don't feel that's the case this year, at all. We don't have to go round and round as we obviously disagree. 

well they were east and didn't really see many top corps until then, right? 

it's interesting how some seasons (like the 87 example) things can change a lot during the season, while other years it starts and ends mostly the same

last year Crown/BD/Coats were in the top 3 all season

while the year before Cadets were very hot until SAT and especially ATL

Some Corps peak early.. others just at the right time.. on Semi's/ Finals Nite(s).

Also,.. can't overlook what staffers do with the Closers at the tail end of seasons too. Some Corps just knock it out of the park by dong something with the closer.. usually visually.. that gives them a bit of the needed separation with others in their DCI pecking order.

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Some Corps just knock it out of the park by dong something with the closer.. usually visually.. that gives them a bit of the needed separation with others in their DCI pecking order.

I predict that some corps will cover themselves at some point with a huge banner.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well they were east and didn't really see many top corps until then, right? 

it's interesting how some seasons (like the 87 example) things can change a lot during the season, while other years it starts and ends mostly the same

last year Crown/BD/Coats were in the top 3 all season

while the year before Cadets were very hot until SAT and especially ATL

Yes, but in '83 the Cadets were beating Madison and Phantom (two corps that beat them at '82 semifinals) by 10 points right out of the gate. I don't know if I've ever seen a stronger start. 

I think things stay the same when you start off with a poor design that never improves, and things change when you start off with a great design that has room to grow. The two go hand in hand. Look at the Cadets last year. The 2015 champion brass got 6th place last year. Poor design leads to poor competitive results leads to demoralization. It's a vicious circle. 

Oh, 2015 I was team Cadets until finals when Crown really turned things around.

14 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I predict that some corps will cover themselves at some point with a huge banner.

Whatever that Corps marchers are seen weairng in the show to cover up themselves, Eleran, I'll try and be still with it too... ( haha,,)

Edited by BRASSO

19 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Preferably so we don't have to see all the ugly uniforms on the field 

• Like 2

AMONG WORLD CLASS TEAMS:

1) Blue Devils (Just too good)

2) Bluecoats (Just too creative)

3) Carolina Crown (Super creative, maybe too out of this world (too soon?))

4) Santa Clara Vanguard (Michael Gaines + Adam Sage = :1_grinning:

5) Blue Knights (Bocook + Jackson + Shah = :1_grinning:)

6) Cavaliers (Another strong showing)

7) Phantom Regiment (Wes Cartwright)

8) Boston Crusaders (Finally, great teaching AND great design)

9) Cadets (Why'd you let your staff leave? - Year 2)

10) Crossmen

11) Blue Stars

12) Madison Scouts (Don't tick in Semis this year!)

13) Academy (Why'd you let your staff leave?!?!)

23) Pioneer (I mean, ya know)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, craiga said:

Actually, I think emc2 marched in BAC in the early sixties.

Wow Craiga.  Be nice next time you see him.  He isn't that old.  He and his brother marched Marlboro Dukes early 70's and BAC mid 70's.  75 for sure and I think 76 too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I do want them to do well. I remember the first time I saw them (in '84) and was completely blown away. They've had so many shows I have loved (and '87 is one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time). Even shows I didn't love, like '98, I could completely appreciate the magnificent design. I just think the direction they have taken last year and this year is so far removed from those great Cadet shows. I honestly was completely shocked when I saw a video of this year's show. If I didn't know it was the Cadets, I would have never guessed it was them (in terms of design and execution). I just don't see this show fairing even remotely well come a competitive standpoint. It makes me sad. Same way I feel about Madison, Regiment and Spirit. I like my old favorites, darn it.

Well stated. Very honest -- nothing wrong with that.  Today's Cadets are a different corps. These are not your father's Cadets.  Times are changing in DCI, and things have changed with the Cadets. We can all throw blame or accusations, but ultimately these things happen.  Staff moves around. Styles change in DCI.  Even the best drum corps have to retool, rebuild.  The Cadets have gone 34 years as a perennial top 3 corps until last season.  Only the Blue Devils can match and better that record. Eventually the time was going to come for The Cadets to make changes in style and staff.  So yes, this years Cadets are not going to come out of the gate as they did in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 -- with Championship quality brass and percussion, veteran leadership, experienced marchers, etc.  It's ok. They have to find their footing and build.

I'm excited to see where they go with this show. I believe it has some potential and I can see Marc Sylvester's footprints all over the design.  I personally like the uniforms (except for maybe the 1st guard uni, but I need to see that from up high).  This is a big step for The Cadets. So if they take 7th or 8th come finals, who cares? As long as the show progresses I feel they are heading the right direction.  

I, too, have been sad that some of my longtime favorites, like Phantom and Madison, have struggled and/or been inconsistent over the last 15 years.  It's difficult when the landscape of recruiting changes either due to staff, location, style of show, or other factors.  It's difficult when some corps jump start new dimensions and paradigm shifts in design and show style.  This is both good for the activity, but can also throw certain corps into a tailspin if they cannot adjust and modify fast enough. I believe we are going to see more than a few corps take steps into new territory this summer.