2017 Boston Crusaders

I'm making another music suggestion...this show could be so full of emotion it's not even funny...lol

Gettysburg by Randy Edelman

Synopsis:
Gettysburg
On July 1, 1863, General Robert E. Lee moved his 70,000-man-strong Army of Northern Virginia into the northern states. The Army of the Potomac, 80,000-strong, converged with Lee’s army on a small field in the outskirts of Gettysburg to aid General John F. Buford’s cavalry who bravely stopped the approaching southern army from threatening Washington, D.C., thus sparking the largest, bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil. At a given point, 150,000 men – friends and family – fought one another on the plains and mountains surrounding Gettysburg. Three days later, more than 50,000 men would lay dead on those fields.
Music Review:
The main brass theme is introduced by synthesized choir. The “honor” theme appears right after the main theme followed by mournful string work that underscores much of the rest of the album. The track comes to a close by introducing yet another theme – a sad horn theme representing the emotional struggle between two brothers in arms against one another. The track closes with a single military drum drumming away slowly building up anticipation for the rest of the music.
“Battle of Little Round Top,” “Battle At Devil’s Den,” “The First Battle,” “Charging Up the Hill,” and “March to Mortality” are the emotionally driven battle cues with “Charging Up the Hill” and “March to Mortality” being some of the most tense music written for the film, or any film for that matter. The most powerful, heart-wrenching song is “Over the Fence” which is the song playing during the Confederate final charge up a ridge to the Union encampment. The music gets ever so tense towards the finale where the armies go muzzle to muzzle.
All of the songs mentioned thus far are classic Edelman but the score wouldn’t be a nice representation of the period without period music. Well, Edelman arranged and composed two wonderful songs that seem to have been pulled right out of the time period: “Fife and Gun” and “Dixie.” The first song is played by a guitar and horns while the latter is played by a harmonica and guitar.
The album closes with one of the most beautiful songs ever written by Edelman. “Reunion and Finale” is really two songs spliced together. The “Finale” part is actually General Lee meeting with soldiers before the fateful Pickett’s Charge and “Reunion” is the end song before the credits roll. The song is emotional with sad strings and mournful horns playing over the images of the bloodied fields of Gettysburg. The song then shifts to a victorious rendition of the Gettysburg theme ending the album on a high note.
Here are just four(4) of the 18 pieces of music that were written by Edelman in this music score...

Rumor I heard was that Gino will be teaching Gettysburg, but as an adjunct at the college there.

well who knows what the top people make and they may be taking on things outside of the corps. Im sure they get paid to do clinics and such throughout the year. But still 27k for a day in LOS when corps are begging for money to stay afloat blows my mind. And i did see this on facebook not reddit :tongue:

My guess is that many BAC folks believe the rehearsal time at Lucas Oil was time well spent. Allentown and Quincy were great evenings for the corps, but word is that lower than expected scores in Erie and Buffalo along with site glitches were causes for concern headed into finals. The rehearsal time at Lucas Oil did make a difference. Was it worth 27k if they did pay 27k? If the funds were donated to the corps for that purpose, which is most likely what happened, that's fine. There are some people on the board who could probably make that happen by calling four or five friends to pay the cost. If it was allocated last year when they prepared their budget, I'm not sure that would be the intention of most donors. Personally I want money I give to a corps and BAC specifically to go to housing, food, fuel, uniforms, etc., or better yet a scholarship.

Regarding an instructor bring paid six figures, I like many have no idea what the going rate is, but I think if a salary was that high, we would see a lot more people who would want to be employed by a drum corps and probably more drum corps because it would be a rather lucrative profession. Also, we would see a lot more big names leave their day jobs. One well known drum corps name is a teacher and many of his FB posts regard his being an elementary school teacher. Why would he continue teaching if he could make six figures working from late June to mid August with a few weekends in the off season?

Lots of BAC members marched Cadets brass the past few years and not sure they aged out. Curious to see if they follow Gino,

I hope some of them do. I wonder how many kids McNutt will bring in. Any UMass kids?

One of my kids are in the crown color guard and she is saying that those kids have decided to stick together....and come to Boston. We'll see how it turns out. I'm sure some will think differently as the season nears

I know I know...enough already with the musical suggestions....haha

Well here goes another musical suggestion...

Star Wars Saga arranged by Johan de Meij

This is a wind band arrangement of the beautiful film music by John Williams. The piece includes the 'Star Wars Theme', the 'Imperial March', 'Yoda and Princess Leia's Themes', 'The Throne Room' and 'May the Force be with you.'
What I personally loved about this particular arrangement was the juxtaposition of The Planets - Mars the Bringer of War by Gustav Host and the Star Wars Theme @ 1:24 of this recording AND at the end a nod to the first two chords of Rocky Point Holiday by Rod Nelson @12:20...well at least that's how it sounded to me anyway...

Here is another musical suggestion...Persis By James L. Hosay

Rhythmic and bold! Middle-Eastern modes, colorful orchestration and a stunning musical chase. Incredible french horn parts...that sums this piece up...

My guess is that many BAC folks believe the rehearsal time at Lucas Oil was time well spent. Allentown and Quincy were great evenings for the corps, but word is that lower than expected scores in Erie and Buffalo along with site glitches were causes for concern headed into finals. The rehearsal time at Lucas Oil did make a difference. Was it worth 27k if they did pay 27k? If the funds were donated to the corps for that purpose, which is most likely what happened, that's fine. There are some people on the board who could probably make that happen by calling four or five friends to pay the cost. If it was allocated last year when they prepared their budget, I'm not sure that would be the intention of most donors. Personally I want money I give to a corps and BAC specifically to go to housing, food, fuel, uniforms, etc., or better yet a scholarship.

Regarding an instructor bring paid six figures, I like many have no idea what the going rate is, but I think if a salary was that high, we would see a lot more people who would want to be employed by a drum corps and probably more drum corps because it would be a rather lucrative profession. Also, we would see a lot more big names leave their day jobs. One well known drum corps name is a teacher and many of his FB posts regard his being an elementary school teacher. Why would he continue teaching if he could make six figures working from late June to mid August with a few weekends in the off season?

Perhaps this is the single most relevant, and most overlooked, advantage that Blue Devils has. Their staff can largely work for Blue Devils all year around.

They aren't just a world class corps, but a year around music education program that has a significant full time staff. People can focus their entire attention on their job, and know the organization will continue to operate all the other areas.

We may look down our nose at Winter Guard, but it provides another significant similar activity that staff can be used for and help run the organization financially.

This may well prove to be the only model that works as a long term, stable solution for world class corps.

Edited by MikeRapp

Perhaps this is the single most relevant, and most overlooked, advantage that Blue Devils has. Their staff can largely work for Blue Devils all year around.

They aren't just a world class corps, but a year around music education program that has a significant full time staff. People can focus their entire attention on their job, and know the organization will continue to operate all the other areas.

We may look down our nose at Winter Guard, but it provides another significant similar activity that staff can be used for and help run the organization financially.

This may well prove to be the only model that works as a long term, stable solution for world class corps.

I believe this is what the Crusaders/Inspire Arts & Music organization is attempting to do, at least with Colin & Gino.

Actually, Inspire Arts & Music is very similar to System Blue. With the recent additions of Hyde Park Brass, HyPE Percussion, Great East Music Festivals, Blessed Sacrament Winter Guards, as well as Boston Crusaders, this organization is a 12 month operation. I would not be surprised if some of these recent hires are, in fact, now full time employees with Inspire. As I have been saying for the past week, even though money talks, I truly believe there is more to the equation....personal growth and an opportunity to make a difference might be factors.

• Like 4

I believe this is what the Crusaders/Inspire Arts & Music organization is attempting to do, at least with Colin & Gino.

Yep, really smart. But ultimately it may mean the successful organizations have to be located in major metro areas. Bluecoats could pull it off by pulling from Cleveland and Columbus, I suppose, but it would seem to be easier if your facilities are located within the metro.

Actually, Inspire Arts & Music is very similar to System Blue. With the recent additions of Hyde Park Brass, HyPE Percussion, Great East Music Festivals, Blessed Sacrament Winter Guards, as well as Boston Crusaders, this organization is a 12 month operation. I would not be surprised if some of these recent hires are, in fact, now full time employees with Inspire. As I have been saying for the past week, even though money talks, I truly believe there is more to the equation....personal growth and an opportunity to make a difference might be factors.

This one (bold) was a real biggie for Boston IMO...but their diversity is allowed them to flurish...