2017 Boston Crusaders

I definitely agree with this for sure...it almost seems that those neighborhoods are in that group of 3 thing they pull for regional competitions...well maybe with a outlier or two...

I think think early neighborhoods split as the season wears on but initial groups can be somewhat larger. But that first grouping is critical.

• Like 1

Refresh my memory, then. Why are major show lineups seeded in performance order based on recent placements?

thats not slotting.Maybe I'm isunderstanding you.

IF we want to talk slotting then we have to look at who does what. Do judges slot or corps to themselves. Personally I believe corps do this and judges merely place corps accordingly . If thats slotting then ok yes they do

Edited by GUARDLING

You need to establish your neighborhood right out of the gate. There's a lot of fluidity in neighborhoods but it rapidly becomes harder to move up to the next grouping as the season progresses. It happens however. Just this past year BK moved up a grouping.

exactly. Sometimes I see posts when people say it's impossible for corps to move but people look at a certain corps improving during a season BUT dont take into consideration others do also so as you go on it can be harder

Well, Bluecoats wasn't under the radar, they were completely off it.

Cadets, on the other hand, showed their hand from Day 1, as they always do, and we all know how that turned out.

To me it really isn't about staying under or on the radar. It's having a nearly complete show design, with a cohesive show concept, from Day 1—literally. The idea that we'll just keep redesigning the show all season until we finally hit something is over. Thankfully.

Sorry, what do you mean?

I was referring to the response of your post above that pointed out that Bluecoats were completely off the radar and it worked out great for them and cadets showed their hand and it didn't work out that well for them...when I said cut both ways I was just saying in general that things could have just as easily turned out the opposite as well...I didn't cite specific examples...but that was generally my point about that...which in essence is agreeing with your conclusion that a cohesive design concept from day 1 is going to win the day...hope this long-winded explanation is better. :smile:

edit: spelling error..it was bugging me...lol

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

exactly. Sometimes I see posts when people say it's impossible for corps to move but people look at a certain corps improving during a season BUT dont take into consideration others do also so as you go on it can be harder

So does this mean if SCV comes out in June and beats the pants off of BD...they then have a chance of actually winning in the end?...and if they are x-score behind...it will be business as usual and finish X-score distance from BD? I've never looked at the stats...but I wonder in the years SCV beat BD...whether that happened early season as well or at least by the first regional...or was it something that only happened very late due to BD's winning reputation a previous year that precluded an early decision to move SCV up the ranks by the judges?...

Edited by Liahona

So does this mean if SCV comes out in June and beats the pants off of BD...they then have a chance of actually winning in the end?...and if they are x-score behind...it will be business as usual and finish X-score distance from BD? I've never looked at the stats...but I wonder in the years SCV beat BD...whether that happened early season as well or at least by the first regional...or was it something that only happened very late due to BD's winning reputation a previous year that precluded an early decision to move SCV up the ranks by the judges?...

In the neighborhoods movement can certainly happen BUT its so clear every year who has potential to move and who doesnt.This also doesnt also mean just getting better BUT show design,listening to input, development etc etc. I think corps or some fans just hate that sometime things are very predictable. Predictability has nothing to do with anything or history of the past BUT how certain corps progress, fall or merely maintain.

AS to your 1st sentence. Lets say SCV did come out and beat BD ( I dont think anyone in a given group beats the pants off anyone ) BUT one has to assume that BD does not progress at the rate of SCV , OR did SCV come out and had very little room for growth. Alot can play into some of this but imo movement can be made BUT one has to have a very good plan for this to happen and all this also depends on a corps direct competition and what they do or don't do.

Edited by GUARDLING

BUT its so clear every year who has potential to move and who doesnt. I think corps or some fans just hate that sometime things are very predictable.

I think you nailed it...My question is what is the set of criteria that makes a "candidate" have potential?

I think we would all agree that, no matter what the level of improvement a corps might make, it is practically impossible for any corps to jump up more than a certain number of positions during the tour—from beginning to end. This is because DCI scores primarily on relative terms, rather than by a book.

Think of it this way. You have a 3-point shooting contest between 10 basketball players, with 50 competitions. Whomever makes the most 3-pointers in each of the 50 contests wins the title for that night. If you make 0 of 30 on your first competition you finish last; If you make all 50 on the final competition, you finish first. Does not matter that you went 0-fer on the first night, or even on the next to last night, you made all 50 on the last night so you won it all.

I'm not saying it is possible to judge DCI this way or even that it should be possible. In fact I personally like the subjective nature of drum corps judging. But I also recognize that once you are grouped in a box, you simply aren't like to improve more than one box for the entire season no matter how well you perform your show. I would love to know what the biggest jump has been in modern DCI history from the opening show to Finals. I bet it isn't more than five positions in the history of DCI.

Edited by MikeRapp