2017 Boston Crusaders

Wow, I love the show music and think Boston sounds fantastic!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

I predicted when we started this would become a $500,000 annual event, let's see how we do.

Gross or net? I work for an organization with a $9M annual budget, and our biggest fundraising event grosses about $600K.

(Coincidentally given that Boston's show is apparently about Salem witchcraft, we performed The Crucible last year. Intense.)

(Speaking of witches, I believe some famous person tweeted today about a big "witch hunt" being underway right now.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Trying to not sound sick in what I'm about to say.......

Please no.........I'm so sick of the good having to triumph in the end crap.  I feel like it would totally contradict the entire rest of the show and kill the darker tone.   

In the voiceovers you can hear the male voice mention Bridget Bishop.  Bridget Bishop was, long story short, the first one executed during Salem Witch Trials events of 1692.  

I would rather there be historical accuracy/venturing into what actually happened than editing it into something that isn't so......taboo. 

I love that this show is seemingly telling a story that is pretty risky/not looked upon in a positive light and not shying away from it.  Takes some balls IMO.  

This isn't a happy show.  It isn't a happy subject.   And that's okay. I've been waiting for a show with this kind of tone/subject matter in drum corps for about as long as I've been following the activity.  The emotional potential is pretty massive depending on how they portray this visually.   I can't wait to see that......

I am not saying I am gonna get joy  out of it, but I'm excited to see a show that isn't afraid to commit to its inspirations and lighten it up.   

Respectfully acknowledged.

To clarify, I wasn't saying they SHOULD go to that kind of ending. I was just saying that it may be possible. In fact, I think Crown's show last year was proof that such an ending in an inherently dark show doesn't really work. (OK, it worked pretty well in Inferno, but it fell a bit flat last year.)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I would rather there be historical accuracy/venturing into what actually happened than editing it into something that isn't so......taboo.  

Amen Brother.  No PC in D&BC.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Trying to not sound sick in what I'm about to say...

Please no. I'm so sick of the good having to triumph in the end crap.  I feel like it would totally contradict the entire rest of the show and kill the darker tone.   

In the voiceovers you can hear the male voice mention Bridget Bishop. Bridget Bishop was, long story short, the first one executed during Salem Witch Trials events of 1692. I would rather there be historical accuracy/venturing into what actually happened than editing it into something that isn't so ... taboo. I love that this show is seemingly telling a story that is pretty risky/not looked upon in a positive light and not shying away from it.  Takes some balls IMO. This isn't a happy show.  It isn't a happy subject.   And that's okay. I've been waiting for a show with this kind of tone/subject matter in drum corps for about as long as I've been following the activity.  The emotional potential is pretty massive depending on how they portray this visually. I can't wait to see that. I am not saying I am gonna get joy out of it, but I'm excited to see a show that isn't afraid to commit to its inspirations and lighten it up.

"More weight!"

I'm not one who thinks there is any need for shows to have dark themes or unpleasant endings (some of the greatest works in the arts are joyful), but what are the Salem witch trials if not a cautionary tale about how easily human nature, through petty nastiness and frightened self-interest, leads society to barbarous cruelty? As shown most famously in modern times by Arthur Miller. And as I mentioned before, with obvious (though I would say misunderstood) relevance this very day.

In any case, when I heard a recording of Boston's show in rehearsal a couple months ago--which is the only time for me previous to seeing this video--I thought it was promising but choppy, and I was particularly concerned about the vocalist. They've made huge strides and my concerns are largely assuaged. I doubt they will be at any risk of missing Finals this year.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Synonymed.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Amen Brother.  No PC in D&BC.

Still hoping some corps opts to stage Julius Caesar.

They are starting cleaner than other years.  It is critical to have a solid start.  It's my understanding they actually have been cleaning after the shows was set.  I see good things happening this year.  Drum line sounds pretty #### good.

• Like 4