2017 Boston Crusaders

looking forward to what this new direction brings at BAC in 2017!!

Yes welcome to the forums. ( The wonderful land of OZ).

In the 60's some of us smaller mm slept in the overhead rack.

I think this sleeping accommodation is a step up from the current Amtrac Auto Train sleeping accommodation.

I think this sleeping accommodation is a step up from the current Amtrac Auto Train sleeping accommodation.

Brasso,

You should be thankful that there are no penalties until Finals' Week.

No wonder you are always late for shows. They're never on time. :tounge2:

Brasso,

You should be thankful that there are no penalties until Finals' Week.

No wonder you are always late for shows. They're never on time. :tounge2:

My wife and I used the Amtrac Auto Train, just once.. from Va. to Florida 2 January's ago. ' Never again. Forget it. I'd sooner hitchhike to Florida than ride that rail wreck.

Edited by BRASSO

My wife and I used the Amtrac Auto Train, just once.. from Va. to Florida 2 January's ago. ' Never again. Forget it. I'd sooner hitchhike to Florida than ride that rail wreck.

BITD, a few corps, I believe early Garfield Cadets were one, used trains to take them inter-regionally and to Nationals. I think Cadets took trains to LA Am Leg.

BITD, a few corps, I believe early Garfield Cadets were one, used trains to take them inter-regionally and to Nationals. I think Cadets took trains to LA Am Leg.

I was tooling around on Corpsreps awhile back and came across a New England Drum Corps that in the 1930's chartered a commercial airplane and went out to I think it was LA for the AL ( or VFW ) National Championships. Holy mackeral !.... Thats only a little over a couple of decades or so removed from when the Wright Bros. first found the ability to take flight at all.. It was the only commercial airline flying from Boston to the West Coast, where only 5 cities on the West Coast were flown too at the time... and only 3 cross country flights there taken each week. I can just imagine how long and scary that flight must have been for the young marchers from N.E. ( the Catholics in the group, must've brought their rosary beads along for THAT flight... hope so, anyway.. haha!) oh.... and the Corps did well & made Finals out of dozens of Corps when they got out there, according to the write up too.

Edited by BRASSO

I was tooling around on Corpsreps awhile back and came across a New England Drum Corps that in the 1930's chartered a commercial airplane and went out to I think it was LA for the AL ( or VFW ) National Championships. Holy mackeral !.... Thats only a little over a couple of decades or so removed from when the Wright Bros. first found the ability to take flight at all.. It was the only commercial airline flying from Boston to the West Coast, where only 5 cities on the West Coast were flown too at the time... and only 3 cross country flights there taken each week. I can just imagine how long and scary that flight must have been for the young marchers from N.E. ( the Catholics in the group, must've brought their rosary beads along for THAT flight... hope so, anyway.. haha!) oh.... and the Corps did well & made Finals out of dozens of Corps when they got out there, according to the write up too.

It must have been in a Douglas DC-3...because before that there was not a capability to fly coast-to-coast commercially...

The Douglas Dc-3...This is, without doubt, one of the most important aircraft in the history of aviation...Some may even call it the first truly modern airliner...It first flew in 1935, soon entering service with several U.S. airlines and enabling coast-to-coast passenger flights...Over 600 had been built when the United States entered the war and it was swiftly converted into a military transport under the designation C-47...Thousands were built during World War II where it was the workhorse of the Allied armies in all theaters of the war...A version was produced in the Soviet Union, named the Lisunov Li-2...After the war the DC-3 became the mainstay of many airlines...As proof of its durability and efficiency, more than 80 years after its first flight many different DC-3 aircraft are still flying around the world, and it's still possible to book flights on them.

qss2hcd55uwuclo6g.jpg

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...the BOSTON CRUSADERS!

• Like 2

I just now went back and researched this further.... the name of the Drum Corps was the Akroyd AL Post Drum & Bugle Corps, from Marlboro, Massachusetts. They flew from Boston to LA in 1938 where the American Legion Drum & Bugle Corps National Championships were being held. They WON it all, come to find out. National Champions. Flights from Boston to LA take approx. 6 hours today. I can't imagine what it took in 1938. That must have been a long and scaryazz flight in 1938 for these marchers, whom one would assume most had never flown before. But the return home flight for this Boston area Drum & Bugle Corps must have felt a WHOLE lot shorter and better for them all. ( haha!)

Nice brief side trip down memory lane for Corps, transportation modes, etc...... now Back to BAC................

Edited by BRASSO