Cadets 2017

"Could" being the operative word, but we have no data to suggest that this has happened or actually will happen I guess. It would be the same as saying that the way other corps carry themselves during retreat could alienate some future talent. Back when I marched, some people chose BD over Cadets because they felt Cadets were just too strict in the way the carried themselves, rehearsed, walk-in-twos while in uniform, etc. But as it stands, Cadets still exist, and they still have people who try out for them. Some corps have their style of doing things and that's perfectly ok. I think there is something out there for everyone.

Yep, I never suggested there is any data on this. And you raise a great point towards the end of your post, but I'd argue that breaking ranks has become a lot more of the norm now than it was back when you marched. Overall I agree that there will be kids attracted to the Cadets as always, I'm just saying that it's possible that as the whole "outwardly clap and show appreciation for a corps" becomes more common in a generation that emphasizes showing off to each other (have you seen younger people post on FB and insta? Lol), the talent pool for the cadets may become more limited. That's just my theory, it's okay if you disagree.

I also just wanna say that this isn't really a huge deal, retreat is only 1 day of a long season. It's just something to talk about in a dull offseason, and I don't really find the practice of wishing staff to leave a corps to be very enticing.

• Like 1

Yep, I never suggested there is any data on this. And you raise a great point towards the end of your post, but I'd argue that breaking ranks has become a lot more of the norm now than it was back when you marched. Overall I agree that there will be kids attracted to the Cadets as always, I'm just saying that it's possible that as the whole "outwardly clap and show appreciation for a corps" becomes more common in a generation that emphasizes showing off to each other (have you seen younger people post on FB and insta? Lol), the talent pool for the cadets may become more limited. That's just my theory, it's okay if you disagree.

I also just wanna say that this isn't really a huge deal, retreat is only 1 day of a long season. It's just something to talk about in a dull offseason, and I don't really find the practice of wishing staff to leave a corps to be very enticing.

Actually, I do agree with you on this point. Drum corps has gotten further away from the "stand-at-attention" military aspect and kids nowadays may not even know how drum corps was back then; hell when I marched, I didn't know much about how drum corps was in the 80s and 70s except what I saw on the videos during those times. I guess in due time, someone will make the decision that it is not necessary that Cadets need to stand at attention or parade rest and will decide that it is more social for them to commingle with the other corps during retreat. I don't see a problem with it because I appreciate the fact that other corps do it. Time will tell.

• Like 1

"Could" being the operative word, but (1) we have no data to suggest that this has happened or actually will happen I guess. It would be the same as saying that the way other corps carry themselves during retreat could alienate some future talent. Back when I marched, (2) some people chose BD over Cadets because they felt Cadets were just too strict in the way the carried themselves, rehearsed, walk-in-twos while in uniform, etc. But as it stands, Cadets still exist, and they still have people who try out for them. Some corps have their style of doing things and that's perfectly ok. I think there is something out there for everyone.

Maybe I'm confused by what you say.

First, you say that we have no data to suggest folks stay away from Cadets. (1) above

Then, you say that BITD, some did. (2) above

Seems like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

From what you say, there is at least SOME data, which you, yourself provided.

Or have I mis-read your statement.

Maybe I'm confused by what you say.

First, you say that we have no data to suggest folks stay away from Cadets. (1) above

Then, you say that BITD, some did. (2) above

Seems like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

From what you say, there is at least SOME data, which you, yourself provided.

Or have I mis-read your statement.

I mean scientific data on the first point, and on the second point, I am only talking specifically of people I knew personally (friends, people with whom I attended high school, etc., NOT scientific data).

I mean scientific data on the first point, and on the second point, I am only talking specifically of people I knew personally (friends, people with whom I attended high school, etc., NOT scientific data).

Generally, observation of events are the beginnings of "scientific" data. If you merely meant that no one has run an empirical study (which is the collection of observations such as yours) and published it. Well, yeah. Drum Corps, may be important to some of us here, but I doubt that anyone could get a publishable paper (or better yet a dissertation) out of studying the reasons why young adult chose this corps over another. All we "got" are your observations and a few others who have opined that some of their friends are "put off" by (not the tradition of respecting others) by the manifestation of that respect.

I'm guessing (as you indicate) some find what the Cadets do at retreat appealing and some don't. And some MAY make their decisions on where to march based on those feelings. As it was BITD according to your testimony.

• Like 1