Cadets 2017

I have my doubts that many (if any) high school students actually raise the issue of Cadets' traditions at retreat, given how few high school students actually ever see a retreat (since it's limited now to finals at Indy, at which few high school students will be attending).

• Like 1

I have my doubts that many (if any) high school students actually raise the issue of Cadets' traditions at retreat, given how few high school students actually ever see a retreat (since it's limited now to finals at Indy, at which few high school students will be attending).

This.
  • Like 1

It's pretty readily streamed. Tons of high schoolers tune into it every year. Just look at the live chat that comes with the stream. Regardless id find it hard to believe they don't do some research on a corps before choosing to join/audition for one. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating the decision making of high schoolers

I agree with you. Playing devil's advocate though, I do want to point out that these "high school students" could also be some very talented members in the future, and they may choose not the bring their talents because of such traditions. Before being attacked (again), I want to stress that I fully agree with you 2000cadet. However, I would venture to guess that the more and more common the mingling becomes at retreat, the more normal it will seem, and the more odd it will appear to future members. I'm not basing this on any statistics, just a theory. As always, there will be people enamored and in love with Cadets' respectful tradition. It's important to maintain tradition and identity, but it's hard to deny that it is possible that it could alienate some future talent. It's a pretty tricky balance between embracing the new and protecting the old.

"Could" being the operative word, but we have no data to suggest that this has happened or actually will happen I guess. It would be the same as saying that the way other corps carry themselves during retreat could alienate some future talent. Back when I marched, some people chose BD over Cadets because they felt Cadets were just too strict in the way the carried themselves, rehearsed, walk-in-twos while in uniform, etc. But as it stands, Cadets still exist, and they still have people who try out for them. Some corps have their style of doing things and that's perfectly ok. I think there is something out there for everyone.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

I agree with you. Playing devil's advocate though, I do want to point out that these "high school students" could also be some very talented members in the future, and they may choose not the bring their talents because of such traditions. Before being attacked (again), I want to stress that I fully agree with you 2000cadet. However, I would venture to guess that the more and more common the mingling becomes at retreat, the more normal it will seem, and the more odd it will appear to future members. I'm not basing this on any statistics, just a theory. As always, there will be people enamored and in love with Cadets' respectful tradition. It's important to maintain tradition and identity, but it's hard to deny that it is possible that it could alienate some future talent. It's a pretty tricky balance between embracing the new and protecting the old.

yes, 2000cadet was right

• Like 1

It's pretty readily streamed. Tons of high schoolers tune into it every year. Just look at the live chat that comes with the stream. Regardless id find it hard to believe they don't do some research on a corps before choosing to join/audition for one. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating the decision making of high schoolers

the high schoolers that are attracted to corps who mill about, high five, talk, take selfies and walk in out of step to retreat should probably steer clear of Cadets

those qualities are so NOT the Cadets - but fortunately for young people liking those things there are plenty of other great options

• Like 1

"Could" being the operative word, but we have no data to suggest that this has happened or actually will happen I guess. It would be the same as saying that the way other corps carry themselves during retreat could alienate some future talent. Back when I marched, some people chose BD over Cadets because they felt Cadets were just too strict in the way the carried themselves, rehearsed, walk-in-twos while in uniform, etc. But as it stands, Cadets still exist, and they still have people who try out for them. Some corps have their style of doing things and that's perfectly ok. I think there is something out there for everyone.

exactly & it isn't like Cadets struggle with getting talented members

I never heard anyone complaint about their retreat procedure until I got on here. Don't think it's as widespread as its being made out to be.

it's been a "thing" since 2007 or so - with folks saying Cadets are being "rude"