Cadets 2017

Generally, observation of events are the beginnings of "scientific" data. If you merely meant that no one has run an empirical study (which is the collection of observations such as yours) and published it. Well, yeah. Drum Corps, may be important to some of us here, but I doubt that anyone could get a publishable paper (or better yet a dissertation) out of studying the reasons why young adult chose this corps over another. All we "got" are your observations and a few others who have opined that some of their friends are "put off" by (not the tradition of respecting others) by the manifestation of that respect.

I'm guessing (as you indicate) some find what the Cadets do at retreat appealing and some don't. And some MAY make their decisions on where to march based on those feelings. As it was BITD according to your testimony.

Ok. Well I cleared up what I meant to say so I will leave the rest for you to parse, professor. Thank you.

If you base what corps you pick on how they do retreat your head is in the wrong place. You don't join to do things like the rest of the corps do, you join because they're The Cadets. I think it's part of their identity and almost mystic, and if people don't like that whatever. Idk, I've interacted with lots of high school kids over the last few years and all I heard about last year was how ####### fast and cool their closer was, not how they stood at retreat. I REALLY don't think that would have any impact on who auditions, and if it does it's probably incredibly minimal.

And if other corps are really relaxed, that's also how they do things. You can't get ###### when people criticize how Cadets do it and then turn around and talk crap on the more relaxed corps. IMO, just makes you look like a hypocrite. Aimed at no on in particular.

• Like 5

If you base what corps you pick on how they do retreat your head is in the wrong place. You don't join to do things like the rest of the corps do, you join because they're The Cadets. I think it's part of their identity and almost mystic, and if people don't like that whatever. Idk, I've interacted with lots of high school kids over the last few years and all I heard about last year was how ####### fast and cool their closer was, not how they stood at retreat. I REALLY don't think that would have any impact on who auditions, and if it does it's probably incredibly minimal.

And if other corps are really relaxed, that's also how they do things. You can't get ###### when people criticize how Cadets do it and then turn around and talk crap on the more relaxed corps. IMO, just makes you look like a hypocrite. Aimed at no on in particular.

If I were thinking of joining a corps, the absolute last thing I would be considering would be what a corps does for about 45 minutes after the last show of the year has been completed. I would only consider what a corps does before then.

• Like 1

. I'm gonna go talk about C2 on the all-age forum. :-D

That is a much more sensible. That and sipping adult beverages on the deck, as the sun ducks behind the trees, with a light summer breeze keeping the temperature and humidity at just that perfect sweet spot ....

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

Its a fair question to ask... one that nobody knows. Lots of amateur youth sports, despite practically little to no changes the last 50 years, have grown... both in tv exposure, teams, participants, attendance, fan base, etc. I realize that Drum Corps is not totally like amateur sports. But there are many similarities too.

Some of the biggest music acts, at the largest arenas, biggest audiences, etc are musical groups playing the exact same songs they did 20,30,40,... 50 years ago, ..only to a newer, younger generation that is unfamilar with them. I'm not saying Drum Corps should be like 20- 50 years ago here. I'm only responding that some things are valued, despite not changing at all. Van Gogh, Emily Dickinson, etc have centuries of unchanged works valued MORE today by younger, newer generations, than even many of the works of Art and Literature of today in many cases. Classic Cars, Classic Antiques, Classic Furniture, etc... valued today more than 50 years ago... by younger, newer clientele, not particularly embued with the " mod " look of today. What Music are Corps playing in DCI today ? All new ? think again. Compositions written years ago.... again, mostly Music compositions unchanged too. Symphony Orchestra's still tend to look the same to me... same instrumentations... same seatings by the performers... same dress.... etc.. not much changed in 50 years years here, for the most part either. Drum Corps, by contrast, has " changed " more than any activity one could possibly think of, imo. Yet, we are reminded daily on how " change happens "... as if somebody, somewhere thinks Drum Corps is still like the Beachboys of the 1962 & 2016, or Jimmy Buffett of 1972, 2016, Stones of 1966, 2016,.etc and dozens of other musicians, groups, etc.. the list goes on and on..... mostly unchanged from 25- 50 years ago, but larger in appeal now with audiences than even 25- 50 years ago, despite being almost completely devoid of any changes at all during these last 25- 50 years.. Just sayin'.

I understand the sentiment of what you are trying to say, but I think this is a flawed analogy. The examples you gave were all meant to be stand-alone, static works of art, engineering, or literature. They are fundamentally not meant to be changed. On the other hand, one of the fundamental principles of drum and bugle corps is that you are going to do a new show every year. So while the Beach Boys still might get requests for their early hits, they certainly evolved as a group over time, notably integrating improvements in sound technology. And yes, symphonies may program repertoire from the standard canon, but they also commission new works every year that challenge standard conventions. Therefore, using this line of thinking, yes, people may enjoy popping in the historical DVD's, and they may enjoy hearing some nostalgic arrangements of familiar favorites during an encore, but the art form of drum corps will move forward and evolve just as any other art form.

• Like 1

I understand the sentiment of what you are trying to say, but I think this is a flawed analogy. The examples you gave were all meant to be stand-alone, static works of art, engineering, or literature. They are fundamentally not meant to be changed. On the other hand, one of the fundamental principles of drum and bugle corps is that you are going to do a new show every year. So while the Beach Boys still might get requests for their early hits, they certainly evolved as a group over time, notably integrating improvements in sound technology. And yes, symphonies may program repertoire from the standard canon, but they also commission new works every year that challenge standard conventions. Therefore, using this line of thinking, yes, people may enjoy popping in the historical DVD's, and they may enjoy hearing some nostalgic arrangements of familiar favorites during an encore, but the art form of drum corps will move forward and evolve just as any other art form.

You make some compelling counterpoints. And I don't find much to take issue with any of it, really, other than my analogy of other classic traditions having current value today was a " flawed analogy ". But... no quibbling from me on much else here you posted.

You make some compelling counterpoints. And I don't find much to take issue with any of it, really, other than my analogy of other classic traditions having current value today was a " flawed analogy ". But... no quibbling from me on much else here you posted.

From what I understood, you were addressing the question of if change was necessary in drum corps, or if the activity could have remained static and survived. My argument is that change is absolutely necessary in all art forms. Without adaptation and evolution, you wouldn't have many of the treasured works that are considered classics today. So, yes, there will always be value in celebrating the art of the past. But, things must move forward to survive.