Cadets 2017

Back in the olden days, we all had to stand still in retreat. And if we got caught goofing off out there, we were loading the equipment truck. At least, that's how it was in the Guardsmen. I only had to load the truck once.

I think it's time to find something else to be offended by.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

Honestly, standing still at parade rest is the MOST respectful way to have retreat. I honestly think other corps goofing off and drawing attention to themselves is self-servicing and rude.

Many, many years ago, I attended George Parks' Drum Major Academy multiple times as high school drum major. One of his starred thoughts that he emphasized multiple times was this: "You win as though you were used to winning, and you lose as though you had won." In other words, always act dignified and respectful.

• Like 2

Honestly, standing still at parade rest is the MOST respectful way to have retreat. I honestly think other corps goofing off and drawing attention to themselves is self-servicing and rude.

I detest seeing the kids shake their heads so they can see their shakos on the Jumbotron. If I was a corps director and saw that, you can bet those kids would not only be loading the bus, they'd be washing it.

• Like 2

Back in the olden days, we all had to stand still in retreat. And if we got caught goofing off out there, we were loading the equipment truck. At least, that's how it was in the Guardsmen. I only had to load the truck once.

I think it's time to find something else to be offended by.

Guardsmen. I loved that Corps.. " Tiger of San Pedro "... " Greensleeves"....etc...

• Like 3

If people want to criticize something as minute as STANDING AT ATTENTION AND PARADE REST during retreat to show respect for those who won and for those who came in other places within the ranks, then you better be prepared for the counter criticism that follows.

No one should really have to explain why they do it. If a person is really curious as to why corps do this, then they should do their research and find out why. No one should have to spoonfeed information to someone who is sensitive to something so ridiculous. If you're inquisitive enough, go find out for yourself.

I think it is incredible how people are offended by this. People come on to this forum to criticize shows throughout the season, yet say that the corps members should be adult enough to realize that it comes with the territory. But some high school kids get offended because corps are standing at retreat a certain way, and yet we are supposed to be cognizant and sensitive to their feelings toward that!?!?!? Are you KIDDING ME??? Complete utter hypocritical BS.

I agree with you. Playing devil's advocate though, I do want to point out that these "high school students" could also be some very talented members in the future, and they may choose not the bring their talents because of such traditions. Before being attacked (again), I want to stress that I fully agree with you 2000cadet. However, I would venture to guess that the more and more common the mingling becomes at retreat, the more normal it will seem, and the more odd it will appear to future members. I'm not basing this on any statistics, just a theory. As always, there will be people enamored and in love with Cadets' respectful tradition. It's important to maintain tradition and identity, but it's hard to deny that it is possible that it could alienate some future talent. It's a pretty tricky balance between embracing the new and protecting the old.

• Like 1