Cadets 2017

Just now, ShortAndFast said:

Or, you know, they could make a multi-year plan to secure the finances they need, so they can recruit/retain the right staff, so they have shows that kids want to march, so they attract better performers, so they place higher over time. Just like Bloo and Crown executed successfully to climb the ranks. Just like organizations like Boston and Blue Knights are trying to accomplish today.

Totally. The issue is convincing the CEO of (1) the need to do this, and (2) the fact that he's not the one that should do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

YEA may charitably be referred to as a tough place to work.

No question that $200 plus benefits is reasonable for a non-profit executive. I think the issue comes from the fact that everyone else makes peanuts. Turnover is unbelievable in that office because he expects the same level of buy-in from everyone who works there, and for what he pays, no mid-career finance or development professional wants to needlessly work 20 hour days like he does or sell candy at band shows on their "day off," etc.

It may be a temporary valley, but at this point it's a six year temporary valley.

THIS.

I know too many people, really good and giving people, who have worked at YEA as either paid employees in the office or volunteers who have vowed "never again," and always the CEO was listed as one of the major reasons why. I can understand why one would have to be careful trusting reviews they read on a website, but I trust the people I know who lived it. And I've seen some things with my own eyes as well. Frankly, it staggers me to think how great YEA could truly be if they brought in someone new as CEO who had the right combination of experience, knowledge, and people/leadership skills (not an easy task, I know!). With someone like that at the helm, I think George could be a tremendous asset in a different role. But in keeping him as CEO, I do believe he is holding that entire organization back.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

The problem is that if you finish in the 7-9 range, you perform earlier the next year. This means that you have less rehearsal time. This means that you may have fewer auditionees. This means that you make less money per show. For a corps like ours, which (1) thrives on rehearsing as much as possible, and (2) relies heavily on appearance fees, this is a BFD.

We simply do not have the economic resources to weather this like Vanguard and Cavaliers did or do. 

Taking multiple years to "rebuild" is not an option. Ask Madison.

As I have been told, top 15 performances fees  are the same...maybe a bump for top 3. The money drops from 16 down. 

52 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Totally. The issue is convincing the CEO of (1) the need to do this, and (2) the fact that he's not the one that should do it.

that sounds reasonable 

35 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

As I have been told, top 15 performances fees  are the same...maybe a bump for top 3. The money drops from 16 down. 

the below are the 2010 scale numbers - not sure if they've changed since then:

Top 17: $2,600

all other World Class (18+): $2,150

Open finals: $1,100

Open non-finals: $700

The top 17 all get the same amount in performance fees. (But performance fees is not all they get. DCI also pays out a large amount on top of that that is based on a formula calculated off of placements since 1972.)

The Open class fees are paid in mixed shows. If it is an Open class only show, there are no fees. But, the show contracts are much smaller so that sponsors will take an Open class show and create work for the corps. (Sometimes the show sponsors are the corps themselves. They don't get paid but they try to make money on the show instead.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The top 17 all get the same amount in performance fees. (But performance fees is not all they get. DCI also pays out a large amount on top of that that is based on a formula calculated off of placements since 1972.)

The Open class fees are paid in mixed shows. If it is an Open class only show, there are no fees. But, the show contracts are much smaller so that sponsors will take an Open class show and create work for the corps. (Sometimes the show sponsors are the corps themselves. They don't get paid but they try to make money on the show instead.)

I believe you are right re top 17 and not 15. 

34 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Merchandise sales plays a huge financial role in any corps. I would love to know what percentage of a world class corps is merch vs ticket sales.

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Merchandise sales plays a huge financial role in any corps. I would love to know what percentage of a world class corps is merch vs ticket sales.

Can probably find it on their 990.