Cadets 2017

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I actually think the corps is fine and heading in the right direction -- at least from a show perspective. The current show is just fine to me. 

Just fine is just good enough to get you on the second Blu-Ray disc.

Just now, chaddyt said:

I hope that's the case and this new design team is being given slack to stretch their talents to bring Cadets into a new age.  I also hope that another 6th place (or possibly lower) finish doesn't cause a knee-jerk reaction and the reigns tighten up again.

All I want is to be able to throw babies for this corps again.

Absolutely agree, and this coming from a guy who LOATHED The Cadets during my marching days (let's just say our corps styles... differed a bit). A completely new staff finishing 6th (maybe 7th? I still think they can clean and take 5th) is still pretty solid. The 2016 Exodus was the result of a corps competitively and design-wise bottoming out, and 2017 is the start of the new climb. George is not a dumb man, and he definitely knows not to screw with this set up this soon.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyt said:

Just fine is just good enough to get you on the second Blu-Ray disc.

I know where you are coming from, but I just choose to see this differently. To me the Cadets were not going to avoid this situation.  When you take a hit, for whatever reason, you have to rebuild.  My compliments are to the Cadets staff and designers on giving the kids an excellent show (which will take some time to clean). And my compliments to the marching members for their continued hard work and digging into this show.  

If people have an ax to grind with Hop because they feel he caused the staff loss and internal problems then by all means they can be critical. I don't feel comfortable enough to bash Hoppy here or ever. I don't know him, don't work for him, and have no previous knowledge of the conditions and struggles that may have taken place over the past few years.  If I did I would not share those things here.  Nonetheless, I am not an insider.  All I know is on the outside I enjoy their show, they have a vastly better product than 2016, and the music is wonderful.  Oh, and by the way, a 79.5 is a really good score for July 12.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I know where you are coming from, but I just choose to see this differently. To me the Cadets were not going to avoid this situation.  When you take a hit, for whatever reason, you have to rebuild.  My compliments are to the Cadets staff and designers on giving the kids an excellent show (which will take some time to clean). And my compliments to the marching members for their continued hard work and digging into this show.  

If people have an ax to grind with Hop because they feel he caused the staff loss and internal problems then by all means they can be critical. I don't feel comfortable enough to bash Hoppy here or ever. I don't know him, don't work for him, and have no previous knowledge of the conditions and struggles that may have taken place over the past few years.  If I did I would not share those things here.  Nonetheless, I am not an insider.  All I know is on the outside I enjoy their show, they have a vastly better product than 2016, and the music is wonderful.  Oh, and by the way, a 79.5 is a really good score for July 12.  

I'd like to see the tides turn for the Cadets in the next two weeks. I think the show is too deep, rich and beautiful compared to many to finish in 6-7.

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

You're always one of the most measured folks on here, and I always appreciate your viewpoints, even if I don't agree.

I think my problem with this it is that I do put this decline at Hop's feet to a degree.  I make a conscious effort to be fair to him on here.  I've certainly aired my share of criticism towards him, but also don't shy away from giving him props when they're due.  While I would never air details, I do know a handful of people that have worked for him and YEA and their sentiments of that experience were less than stellar.  I will never doubt his devotion the members, however... I think he truly cares about giving them an experience that will stay with them well beyond a summer of drum corps.  And that's probably most important.

But this is also an activity that requires fundraising and donors to survive and needs to attract talent in both staff and membership to be competitive.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I knew it wouldn't be long until I'd hear "the members aren't working hard enough".  They're such an easy target.  Smdh. 

If you are referring to my post I never meant to infer the kids are not working hard enough. I know that to be untrue. My sole purpose was to give my opinion that when things go wrong George seems to be the first to be blamed. They are in this together win or lose. The kids bust their butts everyday.. We all know that or should. Funny how fast people jump ship when things don't goes as they would like. Sad but true. Go Cadets !!:cheer:

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, George Dixon said:

well if they attend a drum corps show in July and think they are seeing  a single "complete" show they are morons

Mr. Dixon, I'm entitled to my own opinion when I'm driving a hour to a show and spending my money!!! Their are plenty of "morons" that feel they same way! 

Just now, jonwoody said:

If you are referring to my post I never meant to infer the kids are not working hard enough. I know that to be untrue. My sole purpose was to give my opinion that when things go wrong George seems to be the first to be blamed. They are in this together win or lose. The kids bust their butts everyday.. We all know that or should. Funny how fast people jump ship when things don't goes as they would like. Sad but true. Go Cadets !!:cheer:

Well, he is the corps director, soooo....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, derek005 said:

Mr. Dixon, I'm entitled to my own opinion when I'm driving a hour to a show and spending my money!!! Their are plenty of "morons" that feel they same way! 

You can feel however you want but the fact remains that no show is "complete" in early July