Cadets 2017

The release:

Cadets Add Drew Shanefield to the 2017 Design Team

Jay Bocook to pass the baton to Dr. Andrew Shanefield

>Jay Bocook came to the Cadets as the arranger in 1993, and with the exception of a two-year break, Jay has served in this same capacity for 24 years. A member of the Cadets Hall of Fame, and the DCI Hall of Fame, Jay can be remembered for his fabulous arrangements that led to 5 DCI Championships and tremendous performances year after year. While arranging for Hal Leonard and serving as band director at Furman University, Jay was been the senior member of the team from Kings Go Off to War", to "Angels and Demons", and through many, many, great productions.

>In 2017 Jay will be serving as a consultant to the design team but the arranging duties will now fall to Drew Shanefield.

>As an educator, Drew is currently a music teacher in the Haverford Township School District in Pennsylvania and a former member of the music faculty at Swarthmore College.

>Drew's drum corps experience began as a member of The Cadets from 1988-1991. He served as an instructor and was co-brass caption head for Cadets (1995), caption head at Carolina Crown (1997), as well as brass arranger for The Crossmen (2004-2005). From 2006-2008, he was the Program Coordinator for The Bluecoats. From 1998-2000, Drew was the Brass Caption Head for The Cavaliers and served as Program Consultant for the Corps from 2002-2006. In 2009, he returned to the Cavaliers design team as the arranger through 2015.

>He graduated from New York University in 1992 and received a Master's in Music Education degree from Queens College, a Master's in Music Performance from West Chester University, and a Doctorate in Higher Education from Widener University. He is a member of ASCAP and is a performing artist/clinician for Yamaha band instruments. Drew is an active composer and clinician across the country. His compositions are published by Neil A. Kjos Publishing Company, Northeastern Music, and MSC/Center X.

>"I am honored to be given the opportunity to return to the Cadets! It feels like a homecoming. I look forward to collaborating with this incredible team of designers, instructional staff, and members," he stated. I am pleased to follow Jay Bocook, I am thrilled to work alongside Tom Aungst, a fellow Cadet, and I simply find it amazing to return to the corps for which I marched. Its actually quite remarkable

>Mr. Bocook, after discussions with George Hopkins, the director of the corps, came to the decision to move to a consultants role. With the changes the Cadets are taking on, I came to the conclusion that this might be a good time for me to take a breather, for a year or perhaps forever. Its been a great run and I have and will continue to be arranging for years to come but the Cadets take many hours. I have been contracted over recent years to create more and more original compositions, and balancing the Cadets and my professional arranging is difficult. Having someone like Drew able to step in makes my transition all the more possible. The Cadets will be in good hands

> I am thrilled to be asked to stay as a consultant, Bocook continued. I have cherished my time with George and the arrangers and teachers who have worked with the Cadets. Its been incredible. I cannot wait to see what 2017 brings to the field. When I think of the Cadets and YEA! in 1993 and look at what exists today, I am simply honed to have been a part of the growth and success for close to a quarter century

>The Cadets begin rehearsals November 18-20. For information on the Cadets please go to www.cadets.org. Additional information on design and instructional staff will be announced Friday, August 26th. Stay tuned to the Cadets website or Facebook page for more details

• Like 1