Cadets 2017

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

From a directors perspective trust me it is a lot more fun. 

If Hopkins retired as Director of Cadets after this summer he would have served for 32 years (Cadets formed in 1932) and ended with a program Mass that served as the foundation of his first championship. Symmetry!

yes, Eleran is correct. Corps was started in 1934,    The previous parade corps in Garfield neighborhood was in the '20s, but not Holy Name. 

George Hopkins has spent a lifetime in drum corps and DESERVES a nice retirement when he's ready. I do agree, he'd be happy continuing on with only DCA involvement. Different type of "afficiandos" operate there. Good people. Less travel, too!

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

He looked extremely unhappy last summer - that's for sure

Already addressed in earlier post.

Move along...nothing to see here...:ninja:

Edited by Fran Haring

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

From a directors perspective trust me it is a lot more fun. 

OK... define "fun." :tongue:

Seriously.... there's a lot of truth to what you say.  The DCA directors/admins work extremely hard.... hey, they're running a drum corps on top of what they do in the "real world" so it's basically two full-time jobs... but there's a camaraderie there that makes it a bit more relaxed, more fun, overall. 

Heck... even back in the day, when the rivalries were, shall we say, a tad more intense  (having been part of a DCA corps during that era, this is putting it mildly....LOL) ... the DCA directors might be nearly literally shouting at each other during a winter meeting... then when the meeting was over they'd be having dinner and drinks together, laughing about all the good times.

NOT saying there isn't a good bond between the DCI folks.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:02 AM, HockeyDad said:

In general there tends to be too much information shared on DCP at times about individual marching members. Like what college they're attending or what food they like or what corps they used to be in etc. I find it creepy on a couple levels. One, why do adults know this much personal information about kids. Two, why are you posting this information on DCP?  All I can conclude is it's some sort of weird need at validation, "look at what I know," "look at how I'm sponsoring a kid or kids".   I  wish it would stop. 

I'm curious - do you have the same objection to the athletic world, where every college has complete biographies of their athletes online, including their home town, high school, performance history prior to college, sometimes as much info as their hobbies, pet's name, favorite meal, etc., etc.?   The bulk of DCI marchers are not "kids" - they're adults in college, just like the athletes that our society glorifies (and for that matter, top national athletes in high school are also given press in today's world).  Perhaps DCI would in fact be better off providing MORE information.  DCP starts threads:  "Who are the Stars of DCI", and constantly wants to know how many veterans stick around or move corps each season - perhaps DCI rosters would actually provide value.  I know for a fact that DCI marchers at top corps get Facebook friend requests all the time from high schoolers that don't know them, but know they march in DCI.   In today's world where the "kids", themselves, glorify every trivial aspect of their lives on social media, perhaps finding it "creepy" that someone knows one of the kids attends a certain college is a bit of an over-reaction.

Edited by Eleran

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

yes, Eleran is correct. Corps was started in 1934,    The previous parade corps in Garfield neighborhood was in the '20s, but not Holy Name. 

sorry - mistype. 34 years and corps in 1934

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

OK... define "fun." :tongue:

Seriously.... there's a lot of truth to what you say.  The DCA directors/admins work extremely hard.... hey, they're running a drum corps on top of what they do in the "real world" so it's basically two full-time jobs... but there's a camaraderie there that makes it a bit more relaxed, more fun, overall. 

Heck... even back in the day, when the rivalries were, shall we say, a tad more intense  (having been part of a DCA corps during that era, this is putting it mildly....LOL) ... the DCA directors might be nearly literally shouting at each other during a winter meeting... then when the meeting was over they'd be having dinner and drinks together, laughing about all the good times.

NOT saying there isn't a good bond between the DCI folks.

I'm thinking if you run YEA "Monday thru Friday" and have a weekend gig with C2 it's a lot better work/life balance than running YEA "Monday thru Friday" year round PLUS USBA PLUS C2 plus Director for a World Class touring corps that has a month-long spring training and a full tour

I get tired just thinking about it. 

As an executive myself, at some point there's diminishing returns - you have so many responsibilities that frankly you can't do any of them as well as you wish you could

It's all about "direct reports" - I have about 10 which is about 5-7 too many. Imagine Hopkins is closer to 25 with the way the YEA organization seems structured. It needs a massive reorganization IMO (as an outsider)

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

sorry - mistype. 34 years and corps in 1934

But Hopkin's first season was 1983, was it not (hired in 1982)?  Would not that make this 2017 his 35th season?

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

But Hopkin's first season was 1983, was it not (hired in 1982)?  Would not that make this 2017 his 35th season?

oh good grief. You're right - but as of today he has led the corps thru 34 seasons lol