Cadets 2017

47 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I respected the challenge Cadets faced last season and how they were able to solve so many issues. By the end of the season, Cadets had one of my 3 favorite shows, the other 2 being Santa Clara and Blue Stars.

I can understand Cadets getting off to another slow start, with all the staff changes. I suspect Cadets even had to dig in to Cadets2 for some help. With all of that, I'm confident they will keep building toward a similar final result this year. This time, however, it could be more of a climb for execution, rather than design. Agree, it's FAR too early to have firm expectations of any corps' finish.

Wise statements. The one thing I'll add is a "good show" is a great starting point. You can spend the summer cleaning and refining... not wholesale changes to 2/3 of the show like last year. As you "change stuff" the competitors are cleaning and adding and your score gap actually widens. As you "clean stuff" you can close the gap as long as you are cleaning "a good show"

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Wise statements. The one thing I'll add is a "good show" is a great starting point. You can spend the summer cleaning and refining... not wholesale changes to 2/3 of the show like last year. As you "change stuff" the competitors are cleaning and adding and your score gap actually widens. As you "clean stuff" you can close the gap as long as you are cleaning "a good show"

This is exactly what happened last year between the Cadets and the Cavaliers. Both shows were about the same in terms of dirtiness when they started out, but the Cavaliers had lots of potential in their show design, whereas the Cadets' show had less potential. As the season went on, you could tell that the Cavaliers' show design was working for them and they could spend the season cleaning and tweaking, whereas the Cadets had to make many changes to the show and never spent as much time cleaning as they should have. By the end of the season, the Cavaliers passed the Cadets for 5th. It was like watching a scientific experiment unfold.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

You also inevitably end up practicing longer hours to learn the new stuff and try to clean it, which leads to a worn out group. Definitely a snowball effect.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

This times infinity. ALL of the top corps are executing incredibly high-demand books at exceptional levels; a corps has to have the design to back it up as well. The reports that the brass section in particular is young and rougher right now worries me not in the slightest; every Cadets brass line is grown into something extraordinary by the end of the season. What everyone should be taking away from the reviews in this thread is that the show had been almost unanimously viewed as much more cohesive, sensical, and a giant step up in terms of smart and logical design choices. The Cadets haven't had any issues playing their horns or moving the last three seasons (in fact, I regularly listen to the music books of each of the last three seasons, sans the last minute or so of '14). Their plague has been poor, dated, and nonsensical design choices, both large scale and small scale. I don't care what they sound or look like now; that will be to normal standards by August no matter how green various sections are now. The only thing any of us should care about preseason (for any of the top corps) is the structure of a fabulous show, and multiple reports allude to a vastly improved package this year.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Their plague has been poor, dated, and nonsensical design choices, both large scale and small scale. 

Indeed, for most of the last decade. As Sully tearfully told us after Denver in 2006, "you're better than the show you're performing and you deserve better." 

Anyhow I will hold off making my definitive critiques and predictions until I can see a good video made after July 1

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Some of us have Drum Corp Withdraw, I am one of those as well... Video anyone??? :whistle:

Watch some old shows, that's what I've been doing!

• Like 2

I'm just waiting for the "sky is falling" reactions from some people when they don't place well in the first couple weeks 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I'm just waiting for the "sky is falling" reactions from some people when they don't place well in the first couple weeks 

Yeah we might see those lol

i really think Cadets could enter August in 6th and surge at the end to 4th or even 3rd. Seems like that kind of show and year. Obviously will depend on the other corps who will clearly have a say in it lol. 

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yeah we might see those lol

i really think Cadets could enter August in 6th and surge at the end to 4th or even 3rd. Seems like that kind of show and year. Obviously will depend on the other corps who will clearly have a say in it lol. 

Not to mention that we tend to see traces of slotting using the placements from the previous season at the beginning of each season. 

It eventually corrects itself but still happens pretty often. If I remember correctly, Phantom 09 started out scoring well because judges were giving it the benefit of the doubt and then they eventually slid into 9th, 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jake W. said:

This times infinity. ALL of the top corps are executing incredibly high-demand books at exceptional levels; a corps has to have the design to back it up as well. The reports that the brass section in particular is young and rougher right now worries me not in the slightest; every Cadets brass line is grown into something extraordinary by the end of the season. What everyone should be taking away from the reviews in this thread is that the show had been almost unanimously viewed as much more cohesive, sensical, and a giant step up in terms of smart and logical design choices. The Cadets haven't had any issues playing their horns or moving the last three seasons (in fact, I regularly listen to the music books of each of the last three seasons, sans the last minute or so of '14). Their plague has been poor, dated, and nonsensical design choices, both large scale and small scale. I don't care what they sound or look like now; that will be to normal standards by August no matter how green various sections are now. The only thing any of us should care about preseason (for any of the top corps) is the structure of a fabulous show, and multiple reports allude to a vastly improved package this year.

Perfectly stated.