Cadets 2017

12 minutes ago, FTNK said:

But it's just one element of their show, combined with a bunch of others.

As opposed to Crown's poorly designed fiasco of a 2015 show based upon a religious literary work from 540 years ago, using music written 190 years ago, 140 years ago, 90 years ago and 56 years ago.   I mean, THAT show was so horrid ... oh wait, it finished with a silver medal, you say, narrowly losing the gold?!?  Oh yeah .. I forgot.  People actually liked that show, now that I think about it.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Look at Bluecoats--they're playing music by a current indie band, who came and performed for them. They're innovating and setting a whole new standard in use of electronics. That's exciting for Teh Millenials. 

No doubt very true, and I am a huge fan of the Bluecoats (my home town). But that is just one way of doing it, not the only way. As I stated above, there are many many great band and orchestra kids coming out of HS and in the college ranks that love great orchestral repertoire. That will not change.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

As opposed to Crown's poorly designed fiasco of a 2015 show based upon a religious literary work from 540 years ago, using music written 190 years ago, 140 years ago, 90 years ago and 56 years ago.   I mean, THAT show was so horrid ... oh wait, it finished with a silver medal, you say, narrowly losing the gold?!?  Oh yeah .. I forgot.  People actually liked that show, now that I think about it.

This.  I believe Crown in 2015 was the fan favorite. They played a Phantom Regiment style music book with a more modern visual package and nearly won the title.

• Like 3

You're not quite following my point, and only focusing on the Bernstein part, but the larger discussion is that poor design means it's harder to attract top talent. I think we've seen that plenty already with the guard (who wants to be Little Jeffrey or a white rabbit?) and we're seeing it with the youth of the hornline. 

I have an acquaintance who marched in an Open Class corps in 2012. Drum corps came up and I said I marched Cadets; he replied "they haven't had a decent show since 2005." That's a big problem.

If your "point" is that The Cadets (and every corps every year) should be sitting down every season and asking themselves:

• Are we satisfied with the level of talent (both abilities and numbers) auditioning for, and eventually accepting offers to, our corp?
  • If not, what are the reasons that level of talent is not coming (e.g. music selections, uniforms, visual staging, financial costs, social reputation, etc.)? and
  • Once we've identified those problems, what are we going to do to remedy those issues?

Then yes, you have a point.   But I thought you were more interested in just coming here and dropping flaming paper-bags of dog poop on the front porch then running away, since none of your posts seemed to include anything constructive in the least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FTNK said:

You're not quite following my point, and only focusing on the Bernstein part, but the larger discussion is that poor design means it's harder to attract top talent. I think we've seen that plenty already with the guard (who wants to be Little Jeffrey or a white rabbit?) and we're seeing it with the youth of the hornline. 

I have an acquaintance who marched in an Open Class corps in 2012. Drum corps came up and I said I marched Cadets; he replied "they haven't had a decent show since 2005." That's a big problem.

This is fine. I agree. It's not about the music, or dead composers, but what you do with it.  The Cadets have had plenty of great shows since 2005 however.  2007, 2009, 2011, 2013.  But I do agree with the larger point. Design has been an issue.  The last 3 years have been most noticeable. But blotched show concepts such as 2006, 2008, 2010 did not help.  I honestly think they are taking a step in the right direction this year.  It may fail, but it's a step that has to be taken.  

I may have eluded to this before, but I'll say it again.  Fans of the Cadets cannot view this corps like other veteran corps from the past.  Last year was bad, in my eyes, because they still had some major talent that they failed to use in that show.  This year's Cadets have taken a hit in recruiting and staff.  If this corps were to take 5th this year, I believe that would be a huge achievement, but I do not expect a top 5 finish.  I would never say this to the kids because they need to believe they can reach for the moon and push as hard as they can.  

In the past we would not say such a thing about a corps that was typically competing for top 3 placements and championships.  But those days are gone...for now.  We must be fair in our analysis and expectations of the kids and the staff. It's always easier to put great design on the field when you have Blue Devils talent.  Personally I think their show is going to grow on me throughout the summer.  I still believe in Marc Sylvester, and I believe he is taking the lead in show design, among others.

• Like 1

Now that the season is starting, arguing about design seems moot. Why not attempt to enjoy 2017 corps? Maybe it is not up to the level of past championship units, or the top three or four corps this season, but page after page of discussion on design problems is getting a little old. Some reading this thread would love to see updates on this year's corps' daily activities, changes, additions, tweaks, etc. Come August 13, we can start complaining about design, staff decisions, and leadership again. 

• Like 2

I see the Cadet naysayers have crept out of their hole. Yes there should constructive criticism but some just want to see Holy Name burn down it appears. 

Weird seeing how obsessed people on this site are about placements for a YOUTH activity where Mms could care less about winning versus other things. 

Fyi, IT'S JUST BAND.

• Like 2

Just now, FTNK said:

...who wants to be Little Jeffrey or a white rabbit?...

:spitting:

• Like 1

Just now, Screamer said:

I see the Cadet naysayers have crept out of their hole. Yes there should constructive criticism but some just want to see Holy Name burn down it appears. 

Weird seeing how obsessed people on this site are about placements for a YOUTH activity where Mms could care less about winning versus other things. 

Fyi, IT'S JUST BAND.

ahhh... I still maintain that the biggest Cadet critics aren't haters, but tend to be the biggest fans and alumni.  Some people are just frustrated and eager to see (what they believe to be) a "turn around" of sorts.

They want to see the excitement that they remember around the only corps that challenges the Blue Devils for the most wins, and the most exciting/innovative programs.  I think there is some unfortunate faulty perception of what success is... but at the same time, I think everybody would agree that the organization has not been firing on all cylinders in a crowded field of contenders.  Those fans want to have an answer as to why (even if they have to make one up), and they want to see the "problem"... "fixed".

I wouldn't be too hard on those people.

I honestly think that other corps (one in particular) have had more people hate them (unfortunately) just because of who they are than the Cadets have ever had.