Cadets 2017

9 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

I was going to say that folks bashed the crap out of the Christmas show at the time.   They also did that to 2005 (drumspeak = sacrilege), 2007, 2011, etc.  

lemme tell you about how 2006 is an underappreciated classic!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

So it is informed by the anti-war movement and the political environment of the early 70s, questioning faith and authourity. It sounds like a great subject for a piece! But some audience members may have been against that then and now that's all

Garfield Cadets did a No More War show in 1971.  It was quite controversial. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I hope Flomarching puts the words with a bouncy ball across the top of the screen so we can all sing along tonight with Cadets while drinking shots of tequila.  Kumbaya around the campfire kinda thingy. 

amazing

36 minutes ago, FTNK said:

No joke, I thought the overall show design of 2006 was loads better than 2005. The execution just wasn't there.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FTNK said:

2006 had an absolutely gorgeous (and indeed underappreciated) ballad. A beautiful arrangement coupled with some incredible guard work, and in a time when amplification still needed getting used to, they hit a very tasteful balance between the vocal soloist and the hornline (and if you know me, I rarely enjoy singing in drum corps). The rest of the show fell flat for me, but maybe I just need to rewatch it.

59 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Several things in that show were way ahead of their time.  

The pink tables specifically.  They used them the way BD started using props several years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monoemono said:

They would? I seem to remember BD taking at least a little criticism on here from time to time. Rare, but it's happened. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Right? The criticism has been toned down recently, but I always laugh when someone pretends BD is criticism free 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Wow that was incredible...

Seemed like a valid question-- my aunt is pretty religious and she came to finals in Denver and thought it was wrong that our show (Capital Regiment) quoted the Doxology (Holsinger piece) in the secular context of marching band. Since the show seems to draw heavily on Catholic imagery (including a lot of crosses) and, you know, the MASS, a most holy ritual for Catholics, but in repurposed for the realm of secular entertainment... I'm just wondering out loud if some people might find it odd. Was their criticism of the original piece? <hits Wikipedia>

For what it's worth, I thought it was a valid question :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (fellow atheist here)

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I hope Flomarching puts the words with a bouncy ball across the top of the screen so we can all sing along tonight with Cadets while drinking shots of tequila.  Kumbaya around the campfire kinda thingy. 

Much of it is in Latin. 

• Like 1